KEF R500 or B It will be the KEF but with which CDP?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I've heard these speakers by 2 dealers. Both sound very good with my metal music. The B&W has better and warmer bass. The KEF sound very balanced. The highs are not irritating. At the moment i don't know which i will choose.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Did you hear them on the same electronics? Even if you did, different rooms will sound different and influence the end result. If the decision is that close, it's best to get a demo of both at a single dealer.

nirvy111

May 1, 2014
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Did you hear them on the same electronics? Even if you did, different rooms will sound different and influence the end result. If the decision is that close, it's best to get a demo of both at a single dealer.

I was going to say the same thing. Side by side is the only way to compare speakers. Hearing memory is not reliable and different equipment and listening enviorment changes things. Having said that the kef r500's are far superior. Actually I have no idea, never heard either
sad.gif

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
No, the one dealer has B&W; the other KEF. The amp behind the B&W was a Rega en streaming with a Bluesound Cube.

The amp behind the KEF was Electocompaniet en a NAD M52.

I also heard the MA Silver 8. These was for me a way too bright and too much bass.

I'm looking for a speaker on which my metal cd's sounds best without irritating highs or too bright. My amp is Exposure 3010S2.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
As has been said, a side-by-side dem will help. I would expect the CM8s to sound a little more aggressive when the wick is turned up, and have a warmer bass that isn't quite as clean.

Both are good speakers from brands that know what they're doing....and one will suit your taste slightly more than the other. I'm biased towards Kef, which influences my advice.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
peterpan said:
No, the one dealer has B&W; the other KEF. The amp behind the B&W was a Rega en streaming with a Bluesound Cube.

I also heard the MA Silver 8. These was for me a way too bright and too much bass.

I'm looking for a speaker on which my metal cd's sounds best without irritating highs or too bright. My amp is Exposure 3010S2.

Your best bet is to bring your amp to each dealer and see how that goes.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
I thought the whole point of metal is irritating highs *wacko*

Think the R700 would suit your needs better than the R500. It's much bigger sounding and the highs are refined.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
peterpan said:

the silver 8 had too much bass? when i demo'd them i thought there wasnt a lot of it! to my ears even the b&w 684 s2 had more bass with smaller drivers and cheaper speaker..

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
The speakers that are the most forgiving with bad records will win. Perhaps the b&w was the most forgiving. But i must listen again.

peterpan said:
PP; why not?

No reason other than you seem to gravitate towards the bigger floorstanders. Instead of MA 8 Silvers listen to 6 Silvers, which going by the older RX and RS6 they are more balanced and a better all-rounders. Or try some Spendor A5s or Totem Arros. They won't give you deeper bass but will offer something completely different.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
PP; MA sounds with my music, metal like Nightwish and Sirenia, enthousiatic. But i'm afraid that they are still too bright and i don't think my amp, Exposure 3010S2, will go with MA. And i have a wooden floor. I saw the Silver 8 testwinner in Hifichoice.....

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The Exposure 3010S2 presents a more exciting sound, so it won't match well with brighter or neutral speakers for many people. You are clearly after speakers with forgiving nature for bad recordings and sensitive hearing. So was I last year and after auditioning MA, Roksan, Tannoy, MS and B&W, the B&W CM range were a clear winner for me. I can listen to loud music for hours, the whole day non stop and get no listening fatigue with any recording. The midrange and highs are rich in details but not harsh. The bass is deep and tight with a well sorted amp.

I just want to enjoy my music more each day and not analyze sonic details that poke me like needles to feel the presentation more alive. I had loud and exciting systems before and my head used to hurt after 2 hours of listening and I was impressed by that. Now I have tinitus and know better.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir; i have Tinnitus too (not from loud music, but an accident). And since then iám very sensitive for brightness. I also want to hear the new B&W 684S2, but this was not at the dealer.

Neptune_Twilight

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
IMO It's a good idea to hear speakers at a dealer but the acoustics of the room you play them in will also make a marked difference, I've only been able to have a rough idea what speakers sound like at a dealer as they sound very different in my lounge, you probably need to take this into account & maybe if possible borrow a pair to listen at home somehow?

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Heard before the B&W CM8 , didn't like it at all too dry, bright and laid back for my taste . Try to demo other speakers and

don't limit yourself to this two options .

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
peterpan said:
Jaxwired; why are you vote for the Kef?

just think they are the better speaker overall. I'm a fan of the CM line for sure. They are in fact excellent speakers, but the KEFs are better balanced, have superb bass, and utilize a very similar mid/tweet to the world class LS50. The KEFs are a much newer design as well. IMO, both great speakers, but the KEFs are better.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
peterpan said:
Vladimir; i have Tinnitus too (not from loud music, but an accident). And since then iám very sensitive for brightness. I also want to hear the new B&W 684S2, but this was not at the dealer.

i heard the 684 s2 and was disappointed. Although better than zensor 5 at least. Try the 683 s2 inatead

nirvy111

May 1, 2014
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
peterpan said:

i heard the 684 s2 and was disappointed. Although better than zensor 5 at least. Try the 683 s2 inatead

Did you hear the zensor 5's with the 684 s2's or separately?

TRENDING THREADS