Kef R500 for rock and metal or MA?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
In the past i was a big fan of Kef. Very nice warm sound. Then they came with their uniQ and i can't listen to it anymore. Too bright and shrill for me. And with my music, older rock and metal, you hear every mistake on the record. I won't that! I will hear music!.

But now there is the R500. I read very good reviews. But have anyone here heard it? How is the soundcarracter? The Kef XQ40 was horrible for me.

I have now the MA RX 6. Very good speaker, but can have a bright top end at times.

Kef or MA?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The XQ40's weren't one of KEF's finest, and they were very keen to stress that the R Series was not a replacement for the XQ's, and that it was a fresh new range. I have to say that that was a wise move as the R Series is better n almost every way than the XQ's - the only nicer thing about the XQ's was the shaped cabinet in my opinion, which I quite liked, even if others didn't.

The R Series is tonally very different to anything they've done since producing the first UniQ driver (25 years ago - I wonder if KEF will make an anniversary out of it like everything else :grin: ). These are much fuller sounding and smoother now, and anyone blindly stating that KEF (in general) are bright obviously haven't heard the R Series. Of course, there will still be some who will find them bright, such is subjectivism. I've played all sorts through them from Aes Dana through Foo Fighters to Nine Inch Nails, and all sound great. Do get a demo if you can though, just to make sure you like the sound of them :)

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
I don't like the highs of the ma rx 6. With my music too shrill and sharp (amp NAD C356). And it is no warm sounding speaker. And i miss something in the midband.

Will the Kef be better? Or is it not suitable for older rock and metal? Or is the R 300 better choice and not the R500?

According to David the new 'R' range is a fairly smooth affair. Might be worth looking at Focal or Dynaudios. The former has similar traits to MA, but should blend well with Nad. The Dyns, on the other hand, may make it sound too warm. Personally I like my music to have a slight "edge" - if too smooth can sound a little lifeless.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi PP,

I find Focal too bright! I've heard dynaudio excite x32 with MF amp. Very good. And the highs very pleasant. But i didn't find it a warm speaker. The dealer told the excite was very different from the other dynaudio's. Sounded fresh and maybe too tame for my music. I also like it a bit "full bodied".

kev g

Mar 4, 2008
Visit site
I would audition the Kef R500 & Tannoy DC6T

Yesterday I heard the Kef R700 at the Bristol Show with Pioneer kit. First impressions were very good & if this translates down to the R500`s then you can`t go wrong.

Auditioning is the only way.

TRENDING THREADS