Kef R300/R500; but which amp is the best?

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Today i've heard the Kef R500 and i'm in love :cheer: It's is very long ago that i heard so fine speakers with my music (Symfonic metal).But i'm in dubt which in my room is the best; the R300 or the R500. The R300 wasn't there. When the dealer has the R300 he will come at my home for demo the R300 and the R500.

But what are the best amp? Marantz PM Lite? And with the cd 6004 cdp?

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
I can definately second that before i brought my setup i demoed the arcam a19 with the kefs r300s and the sound quality was sublime clarity and power in spades.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
Okay. Must be a good match the Arcam and Kef R300. But which amp for the R500? And what with a Rega Brio R or Unison Primo?

And what is a good matching cdp?

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
peterpan said:
Today i've heard the Kef R500 and i'm in love :cheer: But what are the best amp?

Well, this might seem like a silly question, but what amp did you hear them with that made you fall in love with the speakers? If it was that good, why not consider puchasing that combination yourself?

Vampa

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi, currently listening to a pair of R500s driven by the Rega Brio-R. Music produced by a Mac Mini and send to the amp through a Rega DAC. Have listened the Rega Brio-R/DAC with Spendors, Tannoys, Delis, PMCs, Whaferdales, Epos and Castle Nights, all of them in the 500-2000 pounds range and to me the best pair was with the R500s and R700s. Well balanced sound, warm, rich, detailed. I would definetely recommend the KEF R series / Rega Brio/DAC combination.

By the way, my living room is 40 sqm and the R500s do not have problems to fill it, even with the Rega Brio volume at 9.

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
The dealer hasn't the R300. Soon it is arrives he wil give a demo with the Kef R300 and the R500. Then i can hear which is the best in my room. I can place the speakers 35-45 cm from the wall.

Isn't the Rega Brio R a bright amp? And does someone knows the Unison Primo amp?

sakso136

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
hello, i heard lately the r300 and i m in love since then,i m interested in a new home cinema system and i choose the yamaha 673 since it s the 2012 winner with audioquest flx slip 14/4 cables,,with boston acoustic pack.Can you please help me to chose cause i heard that yamaha with kef sound too bright???should i go for a/v yamaha or split my system into home cinema a part and hi fi in the other,i m looking for a great sound experiene with the r300. my living room is 100m2.music type electronic,reggae,soul,pop,voacal etccc thkssss

arrabon

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
I recently attended a KEF showcase event, a fair number of their speakers were demoed with Marantz components, KI-pearl lite and PM6004 with pretty good results. Given that others have recommended the Arcam A19, I have a feeling that the R series speakers do well with amplifiers that veer towards the side of warmth. I have a hybrid tube amp driving my R300s and am quite happy with the results.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm using 2 Cyrus X-Powers in Mono with a Cyrus Pre DAC QX with the R300's and it sounds fantastic. I guess my set is not high end but is fairly good and honestly I cant imagine music could sound any better.

I have also had them set up with my Arcam AVR 400 which sounded good , for a AV amp.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Isn't the Rega Brio R a bright amp?

I wouldn't say the Brio R is a bright amp, I don't find it so anyway!

Its the typical Rega sound........Musical!

The Brio R is certainly not bright, and is a very nice combination with the KEF R300/500. My initial thought would be that the Brio does not have enough power to drive the R500, but my dealer convinced me otherwise. Since then the R500 are on my wishlist.... as is a lot of other 'stuff' :D

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Nothing new to add here really but I run my R100s with an Arcam A28 and recently heard them at home with an A19 and both are great combos, with the A19 being slightly more exciting. The 300s and 500s are both fairly easy to drive so I would def have a listen to the combo

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I've not heard the Marantz amp unfortunately. Are you able to demo the Kefs with the Marantz and an Arcam or two at the same time?

Out of interest, what amp did you originally hear the Kefs with?

roberto

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the pearl lite together with the R500, must say i'm very happy with the combo. The sound is a bit warm, but i like it that way. I usually listen to music all day long and it never gets irritating or harsh to the ears. If i do want a little more presence in the higher frequenties i adjust the tri-tone controls. And off course my girlfriend thinks the speakers are pretty - definately +1 for the kefs.

During the audition i compared the pearl lite with the arcam A18 and they sound almost similar, i bought the pearl lite because it sounded more detailed, with more separation and more punch than the A18.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts