KEF Q500 or BW684 in Room 3 metres x 6 metres, any thoughts?

mc500

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi, just wondered if anyone had listened to KEF Q500 versus BW684.

My room is 3 metres wide where the speakers will sit along and it's 6 metres back. Is this a decent sized room for these speakers or too small? I also wondered if these speakers need to be pulled out far from the wall behind them to sound best, as I am limited for space, I could probably bring the speakers out about 30 cm. I'm also open to standmounts, e.g. the BW 685s, but I assume I wouldb't get the bass as I would from the floorstanders.

Any advice would really be appreciated, not sure which way to go. I will be auditioning before buying.

Thanks

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey

i have the 684's in a room 3x 6 approx but I have them on the long wall so I'm even closer to them and I don't feel the are too big for the room. I like my music loud and close to me.

I have mine 30cm away from the wall and they sound great.

Have you heard the q500? They sound completely different to 684. I didn't like the q500. No bass. They are completely sealed and are good for classical music. My 684 had a much fuller sound in comparison but the bass isn't as tight. I love the 684 but really dislike the q500.

Hope that helps.

What at amp you using btw?

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
i enjoy my Q700 as the mids are clear but B&W prop have better bass responce.

the KEFs can be placed close to wall as they are seald box.

what amp you running and this would effect the Speakers to buy as thay are heavy on the old watts to turn out the bass you prop looking for.

PMC stand mounts or ATC could be a nice option tho !!

hope this helps !

Joshuamessenger

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
i can get bass out my Q700 on around 10/11 o'clock. at 11 i can start to feel it.

FYI this is with out my sub being on !

but then my amp may effect this as it a lil more powerful !

DAZZA

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I have my 684s about 1.5 metres apart, 30 cm from rear wall and tucked into the corners due to a really small room, however they sound absolutely brilliant. I have had many standmount speakers and the bass is no where near as much as with the 684s, believe me there is plenty and then some. I LOVE these speakers and it will be a cold day in hell before I ever part with them.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I have the Q500 in a room of similar size. I listen mainly to classical and think they are very good. I don't know about the bass as I don't listen to bass-heavy music and don't know what people expect but my ex-neighbour swore that my music vibrated a mirror off her wall (she was bit strange!) and she brought the broken mirror to prove it.

I think you need to audition both and decide what you like.

Chris

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
+1 for the Q500's but I'm bound to say that as I have a pair! (not in use at mo)

Of course, the difference is that I demo'd both sets of speakers in one sitting and my favourites were the Q700's but felt my room size (14' X 12') would be too small for their considerable bass. So I went with the Q500's and with them situated around 30 cms from the rear wall, they have a good blend of high end clarity and bass extension.

But please demo both as you may prefer the B&W speakers. :cheers:

mc500

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Wow, thanks very much everyone, some great responses, that is really helpful.

I am having a demo today, so will let you know the outcome. I am using a Marantz PM6004 and the source is mainly a laptop running Spotify with a DacMagic XS, I also have a Rotel CD player but rarely use it.

I'm looking forward to shaking my neighbour's mirrors off! :)

Thanks again

GCE

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Let me know how Mara drives B&W 684 ...your impressions,

Thanks
smiley-cool.gif

mc500

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again everyone, tried both speakers, the listening room was smaller than my room and more heavily damped with carpet etc (we have a wooden floor). The speakers were about 30cm from back wall. Unfortunately I couldn't get the DACMagic to work, so I did the audition with CDs only, so I may expect a slightly brighter sound when playing through the DAC. The amp used was a PM6005 and it looked like the matching? Marantz CD player. To my ears, the 684s produced a sound on a large scale that I have not been used to with my old speakers (Linn Index II - only down to 70Hz), seemed a bit boomy to start, but I think my ears adjusted later into the listening. May also be a positioning issue. When I played the Q500s, they appeared articulate and accurate, yet side by side to the 684s, lacked the scale and the warmth, depth and bass of the 684s. I'm no expert on listening, but I prefer the large sound and I expect that in my room, they may sound a bit brighter and get better as I get the positioning right.

They arrive on Monday, can't wait!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts