Kef Q300 vs R100 vs LS50

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
My setup exists of a Vincent CD-S6 cd player, Cyrus 6XP and Q Acoustics 2020i speakers. Although i am very happy with the resulting sound, i would like to have a bit more/lower bass.

Currently i see 3 solutions for this, but i don't know if all three solutions will work or will provide what i am looking for. The 3 solutions i see are:

- add an X Power amplifier. This should give me more bass from the Q2020i.

- replace the Q2020i by KEF Q300. These are easy to drive and have a front firing port. These should give me more/deeper bass.

- replace the Q2020i by KEF R100 or LS50. For best results an X Power should also be added. Both will provide more bass than the Q2020i.

The speakers will be placed 10 inch from the back wall. Will this work for the R100 or the LS50?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I auditioned some q300s yesterday with a Rega Brio r I thought they sounded very laid and lacking in detail which I was surprised at considering the rave reviews on here! Maybe they didn't suit me! When I got home with my new Brio amp they are really making my BX2s sing and blow the Kefs out of the water IMHO

Really goes to show speaker/amp matching is important!

A

Anonymous

As always demoing is key, for me i just fell in love with the Kef R100's... and we have been together nearly a year now! :grin: which to be fair is a record for me. :dance:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ErwinC said:
add an X Power amplifier. This should give me more bass from the Q2020i.

The X Power will bring out a bit more bass from the 2020's, but there's only so much bass you can 'bring out' of a budget speaker. They'll definitely be punchier.

replace the Q2020i by KEF Q300. These are easy to drive and have a front firing port. These should give me more/deeper bass.

Agreed.

replace the Q2020i by KEF R100 or LS50. For best results an X Power should also be added. Both will provide more bass than the Q2020i.

Your Cyrus 6xp should deal with the R100's better as these are the easiest to drive, although as you say, they will still benefit from an X Power. The LS50's will be fine with a 6xp if you're not playing too loudly, and as you rightly point out, will definitely benefit from an X Power. They are a little more demanding, but are ultimately a better speaker. The bass supplied by these two speakers will be in an altogether different class, particularly the LS50, which has had extensive R&D work done to minimise cabinet colorations, pretty much down to Reference levels.

The speakers will be placed 10 inch from the back wall. Will this work for the R100 or the LS50?

I use R300's 6-7" from a solid wall using only the out part of the supplied bungs with no major issues.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts