KEF Q300 vs KEF XQ20

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone have any inside info on the KEF Q300 vs the XQ20? Is the XQ20 basically the Q300 in a fancy jacket, or do the differences run deeper? Can you justify the extra £500 on the price tag??

Cheers guys.

-Bushmendous

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
No, they're quite different. The Q300 uses technology that has filtered down from the Concept Blade, so you could say that the Q300's are more technically advanced. Having said that, the cabinet of the XQ20 is far better built, which helps to keep the XQ20 far enough ahead of the Q300's. The XQ20's are a little leaner, and more revealing than the Q300's.
It shouldn't be too hard to find some B stock XQ20's, which would bring them down closer to the Q300 price point.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I never got on with the sound of the XQ series....unless on the end of a tube amp, which (IMO) added a much needed richness.

The new Q series, as David said, has been voiced differently...so tread carefully as the two may not be interchangable.

Cno

A

Anonymous

Hey there, thanks for the reply...

B-stock?? Could you expand on that- what that means and where you'd go about getting it?
Also, you don't sound exactly effusive about the XQ20s. Do you think they're worth their start price?

A

Anonymous

...right, so liking the sound of the Q300 is no guarantee of liking the XQ20. thanks for the advice.

A

Anonymous

Don't worry have found info already!

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/home-cinema/b-stock

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
bushmendous said:
Also, you don't sound exactly effusive about the XQ20s. Do you think they're worth their start price?

I've always liked the XQ series, the only one I'm not overly keen on myself is the XQ40, which I think is a little bass heavy, and also a little overpriced - £2k is about right for them. My favourites of are the XQ20's and XQ30's for different reasons. I just like their balance and their detailed sound which allows you to hear deep into the mix. I think they're worth their price, but then, I'm biased :bigsmile:

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
bushmendous said:
...right, so liking the sound of the Q300 is no guarantee of liking the XQ20. thanks for the advice.

There's no guarantee that you'll like any specific speaker until you hear them, but the Q series is more accessible for many people.

A

Anonymous

Bushmendous,

I used to like KEF's speakers in the past, mainly early 90's models. The recent models are tuned on the bright side, a kind of sound I'm not keen on.

Some adivices in case you decide to purchase KEF XQ20:

- Get warm electronics, otherwise your setup may sound bright

- Amp must be powerful and able to provide high current. I tried XQ 20 with a Cambridge 740A and the system sounded with compressed dynamics, lacking slam and punch.

A

Anonymous

Audio Maniac said:
Some adivices in case you decide to purchase KEF XQ20:

- Get warm electronics, otherwise your setup may sound bright

- Amp must be powerful and able to provide high current. I tried XQ 20 with a Cambridge 740A and the system sounded with compressed dynamics, lacking slam and punch.

I have just looked up the details of the 740a - 100W, right? Are you saying that that is not enough power, or merely that the Cambridge electronics are too clinical to go with the speakers?

A

Anonymous

100W doesn't seem lean on paper! What kind of amplification would you need then, in an ideal setup?

A

Anonymous

Yes, that's it! A setup composed by Cambridge 740A + XQ20 sounds lean. Bad at macro dynamics and lean bass lines.

An amp like Naim Nait 5i shall bring more sparkle but XQ20 may sound bright. Maybe a Primare i30 or something like that is a suitable partner. Anway, just gessing, I haven't tried them with XQ20.

SHAXOS

Feb 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I personally feel the XQ series are very very overpriced. Too bright and too lean. Id save money and go with the qseries as personally did not find that much difference between the old q series and the xq. Nicely finished though!

A

Anonymous

SHAXOS said:
Hi,

I personally feel the XQ series are very very overpriced. Too bright and too lean. Id save money and go with the qseries as personally did not find that much difference between the old q series and the xq. Nicely finished though!

Yes, what a finish! I'm a sucker for a shiny cabinet
smiley-laughing.gif

A

Anonymous

Honestly, I recommended XQ20s to a friend last year without listening to them previously and I regreat that.

Unfortunately it was a mistake. I agree with Shaxos who said the referred model is overpriced. In fact, it is!

Nothing wrong with KEF iQ30. Very good por the suggested retail price! But I can't tell the same as regards KEF's XQ Series.

TRENDING THREADS