Hi

I am looking to buy some new bookshelf speakers to pair with my old linn majik amp, I have been offered the B&W 685 s2 for £500 and the KEF Q300 for £250. Which one do you recomend I go for. I am open to new suggestions for speakers.

Thank You in advance

EDIT: Went and had a listen B&W 685 S2 chosen as so much better - Bi-wireing them improves the audio so much

The Mad One

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
They are fantastic sounding the kef are ok but dull compaired to the 685s2s dont listen to others just get em.

i would say though do haggle for a lower price i got mine for £390 and only a month old so you could get them for £400.

And enjoy

Regards

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I found the b&w dull compared to the kefs so wveryone likes different sounds so listen for yourself.

But both speakers would be ok and you cant go wrong but depends on your amp

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Sorry wrong speakers, its was 686 that are £350. Thats a good price for the Kefs but seems normal price for the B&W? I would not go too much by prices its what suits your taste, your system, your music and your room best that matters.

matthewpiano

Agree, you need to listen to both for yourself, preferably with your Linn amp.

Don't forget there are plenty of other very talented speakers out there beyond B&W and KEF. Both are excellent in different ways, but so are alternatives by Dynaudio, Q Acoustics, Rega, Dali, and Monitor Audio to name but a few.

Take your amp to a good dealer, try the two you've already mentioned and then ask the dealer for their suggestions to audition too.

Long Audio

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Varun Doshi said:
Hi

I am looking to buy some new bookshelf speakers to pair with my old linn majik amp, I have been offered the B&W 685 s2 for £500 and the KEF Q300 for £250. Which one do you recomend I go for. I am open to new suggestions for speakers.

Thank You in advance

EDIT: Went and had a listen B&W 685 S2 chosen as so much better - Bi-wireing them improves the audio so much
Hello. you should choose speakers B & W 685

matthewpiano

With all due respect Long Audio, simply buying a piece of hi-fi because a distributor, dealer, or forum member says so, is the wrong way to go about things. The 685s are good speakers, but they aren't right for everybody and there are several other choices which are just as good or even better, depending on your personal taste, musical preferences, amplification, and listening environment. The right way to make a choice is for the individual to listen for themselves, preferably to more than just the two obvious options.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
indeed, its down to personal preference, putting a decent system together isn't just a case of adding a piece of equiptment and hoping for the best, many things come into play, room/equiptment partnering/cables/placement each one will play a vital roll in presentation and accoustics, get it wrong and it could turn great equiptment into just an ok system, get it right and the whole system will reward you.

my advise is to have a good rapour with a local dealer who will let you demo equiptment at home, this is not like buying a new cd, you are investing hundreds into a system so make sure you get it right.

There are lots of different speakers in that price bracket and each will bring something new to the table, the trick is to find a speaker that gets your toes tapping and does it for you, not other people!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
If it was me (which obviously it isn't) and had around £500 to spend, I'd go for the Kef R100.....or better still, find the extra for the LS50. Both these speakers work well with Linn amps (imo).

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Varun Doshi said:

For those still making suggestions, note the edit inserted. Looks like he listened to and chose the B&Ws.

TRENDING THREADS