KEF LS50 Wireless II

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Erich

Nov 16, 2020
Visit site
I ordered my LS50W's in 2017 and can't say I would recommend them to anyone. The sound is terrific, but you will need to weigh that against all the negative issues KEF the company brings to the table. It's been over three years, and I still need to spend 10-20 minutes to connect to these via the app, and KEF seems unable or unwilling to fix it.
The tech support KEF provides is also an issue, which is just about the worst I've had to deal with from any company. The initial run of LS50w's had a manufacturing defect with one of the internal electronic boards in the main speaker, which caused it to distort audio. It took me six months of trying with KEF to get the speakers repaired without success, and I even offered to pay. I was able in the end to have the retailer who sold me the units repair them, but it was a long and hard-fought process that I can't believe I had to endure for a $2K purchase. You will also need to consider that when speaker ver3.0 is released in three years, your 2.0 speakers will not be supported by KEF.

My advice, get the LS50's, add a network streaming device, and a good amp. KEF just isn't a good smart speaker manufacture. Sure, they have the speaker and sound thing locked up, but the electronic/smart part is really lacking.

voxish

Nov 29, 2020
Visit site
This is my first post on here so hi. I've had analogue for years (Meridian 551/555 and PMC speakers) but have been looking at simplifying for decor reasons (PMC's are great but giant slabs are no longer welcome, nor is cumbersome hifi rack).

So looking at wireless - the kef LS50w ii, I can't see how I'm going to connect my turntable/phono. The LS50w v1 has a phono RCA input but this is missing on v2. How is it possible to connect a turntable? (FWIW, Pro-Ject 2Xperience acryl with tube-box S2 phono stage)

voxish

Nov 29, 2020
Visit site
This is my first post on here so hi. I've had analogue for years (Meridian 551/555 and PMC speakers) but have been looking at simplifying for decor reasons (PMC's are great but giant slabs are no longer welcome, nor is cumbersome hifi rack).

So looking at wireless - the kef LS50w ii, I can't see how I'm going to connect my turntable/phono. The LS50w v1 has a phono RCA input but this is missing on v2. How is it possible to connect a turntable? (FWIW, Pro-Ject 2Xperience acryl with tube-box S2 phono stage)

Replying to myself, you need a 2x phono to 3.5mm cable from the phono stage to the aux input on the speaker.

Which is doable (but involves buying another lead which is a pain because I already have plenty of good quality phono interconnects!

But digressing, I note that the LS50 wireless 1 at least has a conventional pair of phono inputs..... And the new Q acoustics Q Active 200 even has a built in phono stage (!) as well as line input for an external phono stage.

It's not an unreasonable question to wonder why bother with vinyl when streaming is so good - but vinyl is still a very popular format and I still have a lot. My family say they'd like cool small speakers which fit in easier to 'normal' decor, ie no big floor-standers or black slabs but are not averse to the Kefs or Q Actives. Is it a compromise I could live with coming from PMC/Meridian?

WisEd

Sep 28, 2020
Visit site
Sounds like S2000 Pro from Edifier.
Havent heard them. One thing to note that this is a recording in an appx 30x30x20 great room at a distance of appx 10ft. They have a big, big soundstage with more than plenty sound output. Even bass is punchy and plentiful.
They remind me of my previous B&W 805D2. A little more cohesive midrange with slightly more veiled highs. Frankly astonishing for the price point and all in a box form. Very pleased. The music selection is not random, it is the perfect match to highlight where the 50's truly shine.

nicoladinisio

Aug 7, 2020
Visit site
Very troubling that KEF is reusing the same awful Bluetooth 4.2 chips from 2016. Shouldn't every self respecting hi-fi system at the very least support aptX HD? Where else did they cut corners?

To me even more troubling is the absence of WISA in 2020.
I hope that the Wireless III will include WISA.

pablolie

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I love the idea of an integrated active system - but I'd rather not need an app for control, an old fashioned remote will suit me much better. Apps are obsolete quickly unless there's commitment for long term maintenance.
I have the red first gen passive LS50 (paired with a NAD M22 and Benchmark DAC2HGC), and they're better than another pair of $6k speakers that are praised highly in this very publication. And probably all I need for complete musical immersion in my current listening environment. That makes me a big skeptic when it comes to believing that the same drivers with some creatively carved rubber in the back sound noticeably better than their first gen brethren. ;-)
It's just the usual push to trigger the upgradeatis muscle. :-D

Last edited:

ScraUser

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
Hi everybody, I bought a KEF LS50 Wireless II last dicember and I wish to give my impression about it to all the forumers...

First of all the sound: great! I addedd a KEF Kube8 as subwoofer to fill the gap in the bass stage and I'm very satisfied about this choice.

I use it wirelessly to listen music from the local network, Tidal, Amazon Music, Web Radios and TV.

The only complain is about the KEF Connect app that still has several issues to fix and I'm working with the local representative to solve them.

Reactions: Moree Spingato

WTD

May 8, 2021
Visit site
What Hi-Fi? Awards 2020 winner. An innovative and entertaining sequel Tested at £2250 / $2499 / AU$4295

what is with AUpricing?

£2250 - VAT = £1875 (divide VAT price by 1.2)
1875GBP = 3350AUD (using current exchange rate)
$3,350 AUD + GST = $3,685Aud (multiply ex GST price by 1.1)

where is the additional $610Aud coming from?

Reactions: Moree Spingato

Moree Spingato

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Hi everybody, I bought a KEF LS50 Wireless II last dicember and I wish to give my impression about it to all the forumers...

First of all the sound: great! I addedd a KEF Kube8 as subwoofer to fill the gap in the bass stage and I'm very satisfied about this choice.

Thanks. What speakers did you compare them to? "They're great" is a little helpful review than you think :)

tjxism

May 28, 2021
Visit site
I’m getting the ver 2 to replace my ver 1 this week.
SQ wise, I simply have no complaint about v1. However, the UI/function does need some improvement which drives me for the upgrade. I use V1 with Roon for about 50% of the time and with my TV for the other 50%. I simply don’t like to swap inputs and adjusting volume with the KEF remote/app. Now the HDMI provides a fix.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts