KEF LS50 stand Question..

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'll be trying the Custom Design stands (103 and 104) within the next couple of weeks, and it'll be interesting to see how they compare to the Atacama HMS2's and Apollo AZ stands - especially the latter, as KEF themselves recommended a heavy stand.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Alears said:
If you need a heavy stand I can heartily recommend the Partington Dreadnought / Super Dreadnought's.

Funny, I was going to ask whether the ls50s would be better on a filled stand like the dreadnoughts or a pair of partington ansas, as I've got both?

The_Lhc said:
Alears said:
If you need a heavy stand I can heartily recommend the Partington Dreadnought / Super Dreadnought's.

Funny, I was going to ask whether the ls50s would be better on a filled stand like the dreadnoughts or a pair of partington ansas, as I've got both?

Really depends what speakers you have. I've heard the Partingtons but had no opportunity to compare with Kudos I keep mentioning. They are mightily impressive (and heavy), if a little traditional looking.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Quadraspire QV60?...

images

http://www.whathifi.com/review/quadraspire-qv60

Or their QX600s...

quadraspireqx600.jpg

The distance between the 'pointy bits' on top are 170mm x 170mm so they are about the right size.

Obviously not for environments where kids/pets are free to roam and they look like dust magnets. (But they have a bit of style and are supposed to be pretty good and - being transparent - will show off those fancy speaker cables a treat :) )

chebby said:
Quadraspire QV60?...

images

http://www.whathifi.com/review/quadraspire-qv60

Or their QX600s...

quadraspireqx600.jpg

The distance between the 'pointy bits' on top are 170mm x 170mm so they are about the right size.

Obviously not for environments where kids/pets are free to roam and they look like dust magnets. (But they have a bit of style and are supposed to be pretty good and - being transparent - will show off those fancy speaker cables a treat :) )

Nice find Chebby.

I think they would look the dogs' dangly bits on top of the QV60's.

The 600's look like something you would stick a plant pot on, in my 'umble opinion.

A

Anonymous

Im currently using soundstyle z2mk1 stands and have to say the kefs are sounding amazing ok ive only had the kefs a few days so are still running in.

it makes me wonder if buying stands @ around the £200 mark is going to make much difference to the sound im going to need some major persuading for me to spend that much.

richer sounds are currently selling the custom design rs300 for £100 could anyone tell me if these would be an improvement over the soundstyle z2

80s boy

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
80s boy said:
it makes me wonder if buying stands @ around the £200 mark is going to make much difference to the sound im going to need some major persuading for me to spend that much.

Any high quality speaker will need a good foundation on which to work. To allow the drivers to do what they've been designed to do, the stand needs to keep the speaker dead still. In this respect, it doesn't matter whether the stand is heavy or light, more that it is stable. How heavy a stand is or needs to be will depend on the speaker. Some speakers work better on heavy stands, some on light stands.

Try loosening the spikes on your stand so that the stand is wobbly and listen to something with a heavy bassline, then tighten them up and try it again :)

Next week I should have the Custom Design 103 and 104 in to try against the Atacama HMS1.1's, Apollo AZ's, and the B&W CM stands (which are very good).

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
This one?

...I was going to ask whether the ls50s would be better on a filled stand like the dreadnoughts or a pair of partington ansas, as I've got both?

Dreadnoughts.

I don't know whether you have the older or the newer ones - I can only vouch for the older ones when Peter Partington was in charge as I believe the newer ones are built elsewhere.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
This one?

Yarp!

...I was going to ask whether the ls50s would be better on a filled stand like the dreadnoughts or a pair of partington ansas, as I've got both?

Dreadnoughts.

I don't know whether you have the older or the newer ones - I can only vouch for the older ones when Peter Partington was in charge as I believe the newer ones are built elsewhere.

They must be at least 4 or 5 years old now I think. Cool, thank you!

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
80s boy said:

Any high quality speaker will need a good foundation on which to work. To allow the drivers to do what they've been designed to do, the stand needs to keep the speaker dead still. In this respect, it doesn't matter whether the stand is heavy or light, more that it is stable. How heavy a stand is or needs to be will depend on the speaker. Some speakers work better on heavy stands, some on light stands.

Try loosening the spikes on your stand so that the stand is wobbly and listen to something with a heavy bassline, then tighten them up and try it again :)

Next week I should have the Custom Design 103 and 104 in to try against the Atacama HMS1.1's, Apollo AZ's, and the B&W CM stands (which are very good).
ooh ! ooh! ooh! I have my ls50's on b&w cm stands. :p

Will still be interested on your custom design findings. :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The B&W stands aren't overly heavy (unless filled) but they're are very solid and stable. I'm expecting these and the Custom Design stands to outperform the Apollo AZ's and even the Atacama HMS stands. It'll be interesting to see how the heavier stands compare to the lighter ones.

A

Anonymous

david

just wandering if you manage to test the speaker stands you were going to try.

im intrested to hear your thoughts and which stand you recommend for the kef ls50s as im perseuded to get the best out of my speakers and agree i shouldnt scrimp on the stands

80s boy

A

Anonymous

What do you think of Atacama SL 1000? The top plate is 225 wide, and the LS50's are 200 wide. Will that look strange?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
e_kjellgren said:
What do you think of Atacama SL 1000? The top plate is 225 wide, and the LS50's are 200 wide. Will that look strange?

We have SL600's on demo, but the top plate is a little large for the LS50's. I have Atacama HMS2's at home, and they are just the right size, although I am liking the smaller profile of the FS103/FS104's.

jjbomber

The LS50 will have it's own dedicated stands coming out shortly. They will retail at £300. I heard the LS50s this morning on a Heed amplifier and Bryston CD player. Amazing sound and the speakers are stunning to look at.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts