Kef LS50 any good with Denon X series amps such as the AVRX2000

Danny1

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know if the new Denon X series amps work well connected directly to the denon x series amps. The x2000 really I suppose. I read other forums that ppl have said that Denon and Marantz are not too good combined with the LS50's. It would be good to see what ppl think or better still anyone with both kef LS50 speakers and Denon x series amps. Thanks.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it. IMHO you need a decent stereo amp for LS50s, see other post about LS50s with a Yamaha AVR, minimum I would suggest is something like a Creek 50A (£700) but even that is a bit underpowered.

Can you hear some demos?

Danny1

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Tried to but the dealer needs to order them which has to be paid for first. Any idea if the kef r100 or kef r300 would be a better match for the x2000?

Thanks

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The Kef R100 should be better but can you try something like the Dali Zensor 5s? Really decent speakers need decent amps. Why are you buying the Denon?

Danny1

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Already got the denon mate. Got it on a very good deal with arcam Muso's which sound excellent, but I hear the ls50s are something else. Can they really be that much more demanding than the arcam muso? What would I expect the performance to be like if they were under powered?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Danny1 said:
Can they really be that much more demanding than the arcam muso? What would I expect the performance to be like if they were under powered?

Yes. Arcam are 3.5 inch what seem like AV speakers. What performance, distorted, harsh, lacking in bass are a few things that come to mind. Really you are wasting your money. The LS50s are great if you have the right amp.

Have you read the other post about LS50s?

Danny1

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes just been reading up so I guess am now thinking about the kef r100 as the front 2 perhaps the kef r200c and keeping the muso speakers as the rears. Do you have any other recommendations for my amp that would be good improvement above the musos?

Danny1

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes just been reading up so I guess am now thinking about the kef r100 as the front 2 perhaps the kef r200c at the centre and keeping the muso speakers as the rears. Do you have any other recommendations for my amp that would be good improvement above the musos? Would the Dali Zensor 5 be a big improvement?

Danny1

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Update: I have just bought the Kef LS50s with my Denon AVRX2000. Initially straight out of the box I was extremely disappointed with them. The bass sounded muffled and I I really had to turn the amp upto 80db to near vocals clearly. My Arcam Musos on the Denon were many many times better.

Anyway having parted with £800 in which felt like a downgrade to me I decided to return them next week but thought I would give it one more chance and make sure they were properly run so I left them running for most the afternoon. I then did not have the time to test them again that day but fired up the amp the next day.... OMG these do not sound anything like the same speakers I tried yesterday... They sound absolutely amazing! The bass has also improved A LOT and the clarity as well as the volume issues. I still get the feeling the X2000 is not even getting close to getting the best out of these speakers but my word it sounds good. On another note I was worried what tracks played via AirPlay would sound like with the LS50s being so revealing and but on testing as long as its HQ it sounds really good, but anything else pretty bad.

In regards to Movies they sound great but not outstanding to be honest I was more impressed with my Arcams Muso for Movies tbh but when used with a subwoofer the LS50s just edge ahead of the MUSOs.

If anyone is thinking of pairing this amp and speakers together do not hesitate.... It will sound amazingly good but just note that in the back of your mind you will be thinking you can get much more from them with a better amp!

TRENDING THREADS