KEF KHT3005SE Question

PuppetMaster120

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I have an ONKYO 608 AV Reciever and a set of KEF KHT 3005SE + KEF KUBE 2 speakers and sub and i've heard they sound really good when the crossover settings are set at 80 to 90Hz is that what you guys recommend. Also i would like to know how high should i put my AV receiver to make sure that am getting the best out of these speakers. At the moment i listen to my movies and music at around -45, should i increase that to around -25 or -11.

Would really appreciate the help guys oh before i forget i've managed to calibrate my speakers to around 80dBs for the front left and right and the centre, and i've calibrated the surround left and right speakers to around 75dBs.

Thanks in advance

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The crossover settings sound fine to me...THX recomend 80htz for film sountracks.

You should listen at what volume leval you feel comfortable with...some like quiet'ish most prefere wall bouncing surround sound :grin:

Tbh you will probably get more involvement from the speakers if they are given abitt more volume for films as apposed to tv viewing :)

PuppetMaster120

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi Gingerone,

I posted this same question on avforums.co.uk and someone on there said i should set my crossover for these speakers around 100hz-120hz should i ignore this setting and follow yours or not.? Right i see so i should calibrate all to around 80dbs right i will do that once the household is silent and there's no background noise, that way it wont effect the calibration, also mate i calibrated my speakers using the AudioTools app on the iPhone 4, is that a wise thing for me to do or should i buy myself a proper SPL metre. When you say setting crossovers in between 80hz or maybe 90hz do you mean i should have my fronts L and R to 80hz Centre to 90hz and the surrounds to 80/90hz or.... not could you please explain to me about that.

So volume is dependent on my preference and room will it cause distortion if i have these speakers up to around -11, because i've got the KEF KUBE 2 main volume set to 12o'clock and i've also set bass boost to around +6dBs..lol. I like my movies loud you see lmao just like watching them in the cinmeas. Also i would like to know are Floorstand speakers and a bigger styled centre speaker a way to go for a proper cinema like feeling, if so which companys do you recommend?

Thanks again for the help

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
It's not me that recomends a cross over at 80hz,its THX!

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/bass-management-basics-2013-settings-made-simple

I started out with the kef3005se,then upgraded the front 3,much better in dialogue weight and dynamics...imho.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Large speakers aren't needed for a "cinema experience", just ones that are capable enough for the room and the required volume level.

For listening at -11dB, I'd be looking to set the crossover points to about 100Hz. Changing your sub at some point will improve things greatly.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
PuppetMaster120 said:
Hi Guys,

I have an ONKYO 608 AV Reciever and a set of KEF KHT 3005SE + KEF KUBE 2 speakers and sub and i've heard they sound really good when the crossover settings are set at 80 to 90Hz is that what you guys recommend. Also i would like to know how high should i put my AV receiver to make sure that am getting the best out of these speakers. At the moment i listen to my movies and music at around -45, should i increase that to around -25 or -11.

Would really appreciate the help guys oh before i forget i've managed to calibrate my speakers to around 80dBs for the front left and right and the centre, and i've calibrated the surround left and right speakers to around 75dBs.

Thanks in advance

I always found the Kube 2 sounded better with a lower crossover rather than higher. 80hz was typical for a demo to get the best out of the KEF pack IMO. Technically it should be higher than that at around 100hz but I could never get along with it that high. I would also concur with your lower volume for the rear speakers, I always found the Onkyo a little loud in that department to my ears.

PuppetMaster120

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
themovierooms said:
PuppetMaster120 said:
Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance

I always found the Kube 2 sounded better with a lower crossover rather than higher. 80hz was typical for a demo to get the best out of the KEF pack IMO. Technically it should be higher than that at around 100hz but I could never get along with it that high. I would also concur with your lower volume for the rear speakers, I always found the Onkyo a little loud in that department to my ears.

hi themovierooms

Yh i am going to recalbirate the surround speakers to 80dBs just like the rest of the speakers but i cant really do that until my house is completely silent otherwise it will pick up all the background noise, so i'l get around that once i get the chance to do so. I've changed the KEF sats to around 100hz and atm its sounding really really nice. Themovierooms what settings do u recommend for setting the crossover on my subwoofer, atm its at the max crossover settings behind the sub and within the AMP i've got that set to around 120hz should i lower that down, or keep it the way it is? Lol right so you dnt seem to like Onkyo amps haha i think their great i cant wait until i get to upgrade my current amp to the newer ones. which amp do u have mate

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I like the Onkyo amplifiers a lot, I just always found the upper frequencies on the Kube a little troublesome so would always cut these a little. Everyone has different tastes and hears thing slightly differently, it’s just my opinion.

I would keep the sub setting as you have it and adjust the crossover on the amp. Use the same scene in a particular movie to test one crossover setting then another, (settle on the one you prefer). I always found the bit with the bass guitar battle in "Scott Pilgrim" a pretty good test.

Currently im running an Anthem MRX300 at home.

PuppetMaster120

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
themovierooms said:
I like the Onkyo amplifiers a lot, I just always found the upper frequencies on the Kube a little troublesome so would always cut these a little. Everyone has different tastes and hears thing slightly differently, it’s just my opinion.

I would keep the sub setting as you have it and adjust the crossover on the amp. Use the same scene in a particular movie to test one crossover setting then another, (settle on the one you prefer). I always found the bit with the bass guitar battle in "Scott Pilgrim" a pretty good test.

Oh right so u do like Onkyo amps haha, onkyo is my very first amp manufacture i've purchased so i duunno how other manaufactures fair against onkyo haha. I had a look qat ur amp and it got really really good reviews with its sound quailty. I've kept the same settings for sub but i've just uppered the volume at tad and upped the volume a tad within the amp, i found placing the sub near the wall made the sound really good, but a tad boomy i dunno if that was cos i upped the volume or whether or not if its related to the bass boost lol, either way i'll keep checking. Also mate should i place anything underneathe the sub so that i wouldnt create any sort of bad feedback or shall i just leave it. Am planning on upgrading my sub to a veldyne sub i've heard their subs are a beast hahaha.

Thanks again matet

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
PuppetMaster120 said:
themovierooms said:

Oh right so u do like Onkyo amps haha, onkyo is my very first amp manufacture i've purchased so i duunno how other manaufactures fair against onkyo haha. I had a look qat ur amp and it got really really good reviews with its sound quailty. I've kept the same settings for sub but i've just uppered the volume at tad and upped the volume a tad within the amp, i found placing the sub near the wall made the sound really good, but a tad boomy i dunno if that was cos i upped the volume or whether or not if its related to the bass boost lol, either way i'll keep checking. Also mate should i place anything underneathe the sub so that i wouldnt create any sort of bad feedback or shall i just leave it. Am planning on upgrading my sub to a veldyne sub i've heard their subs are a beast hahaha.

Thanks again matet

If your plan is to upgrade the subwoofer at some point in the near future I would leave the isolation for now. Experimenting with placement is the best way to go, you’ll then eventually find a placement that works for you in the room. Velodyne do great subwoofers, it’s worth checking out Paradigm, SVS & B&W subwoofers in your price range as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts