KEF KET 2005.3 v 1005.2 plus suitable amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

Need a little advice please.

I have a fairly small room for my home cinema set up (4.2m x 3.8m). I want to upgrade my present Sony 5.1 all in one system (which is now serving as my surround sound only) to a seperate amp and small speaker package set up to take advantage of the BluRay HD sound.

I have a Sky HD, Sony 550 blu-ray and Sony 46X LCD TV

I am wondering if the 1005 speakers are enough to fill the room effectively and if I moved (as I only rent presently) at what size room would the sound from these modest speakers become inferior? I can get the 2005.3 speakers for £550 and wonder if the £200 premium is worth it? Are there any others that I should consider? Also what amp would be best? I have looked at the Sony 2400ES which is running about £450 (presumably due to low supplies) and the Yamaha 763 (approx £400). Does anyone have any other suggestions for the amp. The amp is primarily for the sky/bluray and not audio cd's.

I have approx £1k for the whole thing including cables, 1 pair of stands etc. I would like to future proof as much as possible so am thinking that the 2 HDMI inputs may be a bit on the low side?

Cheers for any input/recommendations....greatly appreciated.

Paul

:)

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I've got the 2005.2 and my room is 5m x 4m and I was advised the 1005's were possibly not powerful enough so if you move to a bigger room you are better off future proofing with the 2005. If you are not bothered with the musical side ,you could go for an Onkyo 607 (review coming up I think) or get an outgoing 606 for less.The KEF 2005 silver are £500 in RS .You certainly get value boom for your £. from the Onkyo.

A

Anonymous

Cheers...

I had thought that I would end up with the 2005.3's :) Just worried about the amp now, would you rule out the Sony then over the Onkyo? (if I can find one)

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
I would not rule it out -I was just suggesting another option.I haven't listened to the Sony. Perhaps the WHF team can add a comment on the difference.I believe the Sony is more musical but it depends what you are after.-do you want to use the system for music at a later date.??

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your response again
emotion-1.gif

Actually all things considered the Sony is proving a nightmare to get hold of anyway...no one seems to have it and on the odd availability its going over £450 now. I read the review of the Sony together with the 550 Bluray and it said it was a great combination - hence it was my initial plan to go with the 2400ES...but it appears I'm not to have this option. I've been talking to the RS guys and they are recommending the Harmon Kardon AVR355 as an option or the new Onkyo 607 (although the 606 would probably be more that ample?). Any thoughts? The HK looks a smart piece of kit....

I have a separate audio amp (Old School Mission Cyrus 1) for my CD listening anyway so won't normally be using the AV amp for music. I guess I was just concerned about the movie soundtracks if they were musically rich....or shouldn't I be that concerned? I am new to all of this separate AV amps, so sorry if thats a dumb question?

I'm defo going with the 2005.3 Kef's as everyone tells me and I've read so much great feedback about the kit. I will ony use the amp for my BD and Sky HD players and perhaps connecting my MP3 player too. Might also be in the market for a PS3 at some stage..so will only really ever need 3/4 HDMI and probably wouldn't be used all together at the same time anyway.

Sorry to keep harping on, I'm just a little worried that I don't get this wrong. The money I am spending is a hell of a lot to me and I don't want to get my choices wrong, be disappointed and regret buying....

Any thoughts WHF team? Anyone else?

Cheers

Paul

A

Anonymous

I have the 2005.2 with the 3005 Center Speaker upgrade and my amp is the 606 and the room is 5m x 4.4m in my opinion its a great setup for movies not so great with music but movies is my bag. You will not be disappointed with that choice. But as said go for the 2005.3 over the entry Kefs

A

Anonymous

thanks for the advice mate...

I am off shopping tomorrow so hopefully will get to listen to a few set ups or at least find a place that offers "try at home" type guarantee

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts