KEF 3005SE & Sony STR-DA5300ES Setup Help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have the KEF 3005SE speakers setup with the Sony STR-DA5300ES, I currently have the crossover frequency set to 80hz on all speakers, the speaker go down to 70hz (centre 65hz). Is this the ideal setting, what crossover frequency was used when WHF tested them ?

Also the amp auto calibration offers calibration types :

Full Flat : Make the measurement of frequency from each speaker flat

Enginerer : Sets the frequency to one that matches that of the sony listening room

Front Reference : Adjusts the characteristics of all the speakers to match the characteristics of the front speaker.

OFF : Sets auto calibrations EQ to off

I am not sure what these settting mean tbh, any recommendations on which to use when running the auto clibration ?

Any help appreciated :)

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Kef recommend 80Hz as the cross-over.

Have you spent a bit of time experimenting with the different equalizer settings to see which you prefer? In the end, there won't be a "right" setting just the one that you like the most.

A

Anonymous

Ok just out of intrest what do you have your Kef's crossover set to ?

What do you look for / listen for when testing the crossover frequency ?

A

Anonymous

Andrew, Clare or anyone from the whathifi team any advice ?

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
My cross-over is set at 80Hz.

I suppose what you want to make sure is that the sound is "full" when you are listening to movies. I made the schoolboy error of switching the subwoofer off (for a week) when I first set up the amplifier. I was somewhat non-plussed when I put the Tyrannosaurus Rex scene from Jurassic Park through the system and it was very lacking in depth. A week later, I noticed that the subwoofer was off. Switched it on and felt really foolish.

Some people set the cross-over at 120Hz so that the subwoofer kicks in earlier to support the higher frequencies. Again, fiddling with the settings and seeing what you prefer is the best idea. I couldn't perceive any real difference between 80Hz and 120Hz so left it at the recommended.

A

Anonymous

I have KEF 3005 and STRDA5200ES and auto calibrated it. It was pretty good with a bit of maunal jigging. Have you read the Sony manual - it will tell you what the cal types are and you can then adjust them manually - the calibration should set up the cross over frequencies so you for you don't have to worry about that.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Simonkee,

I didn't actually know the auto calibration set the crossover too, I will try it out and see what it does.

In the manual it gives a brief description of the calibration modes, but I was wondering if anyone had a bit more detail or experience of which one to use ?

A

Anonymous

The full flat is for standard 5.1, 7.1 sound - ideal for most movies, Front ref is ideal for a 3 speaker set up, Engineer as per would be for larger rooms, with speakers and acoustic and set up as per Sony labs (so professional set up I'd assume).

A

Anonymous

Ah ok so the the Engineer mode is probably not for me
emotion-1.gif

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts