Kef 104.2 with Audiolab 8200MB will it work?

tim20

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

Im am trying to build up a good sounding Hi FI set up starting from scratch, i really fancy getting some vintage Kef 104.2 reference ( and probably restoring them, foams ect) i like a project!

As for an amp, i understand the kefs need good current, would a pair of 8200MB do the trick? i dont have bottomless pockets for this set up so need somthing in and around similar price bracket to the 8200mb , a pair of Monos can be had for around 1200 used. 1700 new,

Would the Audiolab M dac work as a good preamp with my Imac as the source also?

Source Imac, with flac's and some hi res music, taste from rock to pop to clasical,

Room will be one of two options, one with fully carpeted lots of soft furnishings around 4mx5m and will replace the front speakers of my cinema set up (how to use the speakers for both stereo and as part of the surround needs to be understood also?some kind of switch? ) and a larger room with hard floors and more glass walls, 7mx4m,

Current set up is just a pair of Kef x300a good for a desktop speaker, nothing more) and then a seperate surround set up with Kef IQ5SE , Q200c egg surrounds kef 2010sub and a Pioneer VSX LX53 amp so not great at all for music,

I did own a HI fi set up a few years ago, with a naim Nait 5i with a rega Dac and the Kef IQ5se, sounded good , but did not amaze me, would the above 8200mb M dac and Kef 104.2 be in a different league? I want viseral, clarity, difined insturments, dynamic sound,

Thanks

Tim,

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes, they'll work fine. I've used a single 8000P in the last with 104.2s and it did the job admirably. The monos will have no problem with them.

You'll find the 104.2s in a completely different stratosphere to the iQ5se!

tim20

Sep 6, 2015
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Yes, they'll work fine. I've used a single 8000P in the last with 104.2s and it did the job admirably. The monos will have no problem with them.

You'll find the 104.2s in a completely different stratosphere to the iQ5se!
Thanks David. Is there much of a performance difference between a 8000p and a pair of 8000mb or the 8200mb I originally mentioned as there Is a large cost difference from the 8000p you mentioned and the 8200mb. Would 2x 8000mb be a half way house. Better than the 8000p but not the power and control of the 8200mb?
Thanks.
Tim.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts