Just put in some mains cable upgrades

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Well I have just put some Russ Andrews power max plus mains cables into my Cyrus system. I need to sit down and really listen to the system but i'm not sure they are making much difference...... but they do look cool

When I have had sufficient time to evaluate them I will post my findings.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
The joy of RA is that you can mess around for 60 days, and then send them back.

Do you have any way of plugging them (especially the amp) directly into the wall, as (imo) cheap(ish), daisy-chain wired extension sockets do no favours to the sound.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I use the Cyrus Hark stand so all the mains stuff is usually concealed. I do want to get a better extension block but i'm not sure what to go for.

Each of the X-Power amps has a PSX-R power supply which I thought sounded better than the Mono X 200's. Maybe this was down to the mains extension lead.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
kmlav said:
I use the Cyrus Hark stand so all the mains stuff is usually concealed. I do want to get a better extension block but i'm not sure what to go for.

Each of the X-Power amps has a PSX-R power supply which I thought sounded better than the Mono X 200's. Maybe this was down to the mains extension lead.

I would get something like this: http://www.cleareraudio.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=18&products_id=49

or this: http://www.isoteksystems.com/auto_images/review_pdfs/42.pdf

Like RA, they will give you 60 days, so you can try for yourself.....you want the block to have decent sockets that are isolated from each other, be star wired and star earthed and maybe some surge protection and passive filtering.

IME. Your cables need either plugged into the wall, or a decent mains block.....others will strongly disagree, but since you have come this far, you might as well experiment, so long as it can all be sent back if it gives little improvement for the outlay

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I really need the extension block to fit inside the hark stand so the Copper line and silver line blocks are to big. Would adding something like the Copper Line Alpha or a RA Powerbar help?

The Hark stands are great at keeping everything tidy and the cables out of sight, should more cables become visible the winging sound from the missis will cancel out any improvement in playback

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
kmlav said:
I really need the extension block to fit inside the hark stand so the Copper line and silver line blocks are to big. Would adding something like the Copper Line Alpha or a RA Powerbar help?

The Hark stands are great at keeping everything tidy and the cables out of sight, should more cables become visible the winging sound from the missis will cancel out any improvement in playback

What about the Isotek Evo 3 Polaris (+ a mains cable): http://www.isoteksystems.com/auto_images/review_pdfs/42.pdf

EDIT. You can get these here: http://www.analogueseduction.net/mains-blocks/ITPEUMPB.html

or this: http://www.analogueseduction.net/mains-blocks/WWMS7C.html

Give Gary a ring, as he is very accommodating, and will almost certainly let you try it, if you ask.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I've nearly finished a bottle of Corton "Clos du Roi" 2006 and you could get several of those for the price of this stuff. I guess it's a question of values but I'd rather have the genuine pleasure of several bottles of fine Burgundy than the dubious benefit of some pieces of copper. :grin:

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
I've nearly finished a bottle of Corton "Clos du Roi" 2006 and you could get several of those for the price of this stuff. I guess it's a question of values but I'd rather have the genuine pleasure of several bottles of fine Burgundy than the dubious benefit of some pieces of copper. :grin:

Chris

The pleasures of Dionysus are but fleeting. ;)

T

the record spot

They're a passing blip in the day. The best part of £300 on a mains block a tad longer lasting. Masterplug will do for me thanks.

T

the record spot

CnoEvil said:
The joy of RA is that you can mess around for 60 days, and then send them back.

Do you have any way of plugging them (especially the amp) directly into the wall, as (imo) cheap(ish), daisy-chain wired extension sockets do no favours to the sound.

Just out of interest Cno, which is to say I'm curious about your views on this, what impacts does a basic strip plug block make compared to the Clearer Audio block for instance?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
kmlav said:

This is like some kind of flashback from a nightmare!

I've just replaced a 1.5 metre mains cable with a 0.75m one because the excess 0.75m was bugging the hell out of me. And my h-fi, TV, Blu-ray and PVR only use four mains cables in total. (Three more than I would like ideally.)

Now I have to think about that system - in the photo - being out there somewhere like some electronic 'Hydra'. (Shudders.)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

The pleasures of Dionysus are but fleeting. ;)

And the pleasures of mains cables are but imaginary! My wine is real and was delicious and there was no self-delusion in it.

Chris

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Covenanter said:
And the pleasures of mains cables are but imaginary! My wine is real and was delicious and there was no self-delusion in it.

Chris

Both pleasures are subjective. There are people who see no benefit to wine, strange as it may seem....though it's the people who have never tasted it, who say it's pointless and a waste of money, that get me. :p ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
the record spot said:
Just out of interest Cno, which is to say I'm curious about your views on this, what impacts does a basic strip plug block make compared to the Clearer Audio block for instance?

IMO.

Paying attention to the mains is an important element of getting the most from a system.......so a power strip needs quality sockets to give a better connection, that are not "daisy chained" (which means they are draining power from each other). A well constructed one will reject RFI and EMI, and have high purity copper wiring, and be star wired / earthed.

The result of this "can" be a cleaner sound with less "grit", and all from a quiter background. It's all about getting the power to the component with as pure contacts as possible, and as few restrictions as possible.

I believe good plugs make a noticeable difference (like those from Furutech).

I have tried strips that have made the sound "too clean and sterile" for my taste as well, so beneficial results cannot be taken for granted.

This is simply my experience having tried a variety of things at different prices......but if you don't need surge protection or an extention lead, plugging the component directly into the wall (MK Switchless Socket) and having well made cables with decent plugs, along with a dedicated circuit, is the best way to go.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
There are people who see no benefit to wine, strange as it may seem....though it's the people who have never tasted it, who say it's pointless and a waste of money, that get me. :p ;)

It's not strange.

I drink about 8 bottles of golden ale per year (one very occasionally with a Sunday roast or a nice stew).

I can't stand the taste of wine (or the effect of it on my digestion afterwards) or being drunk.

It's a waste of money to me because it's not enjoyable, to me.

I haven't got drunk or had a hangover for just under 28 years. (Just before my wife knew she was pregnant with our eldest.) I had a morbid fear that the kids - being kids - would suddenly need me (out-of-the-blue) in some night-time emergency and I'd be unable to respond 100 percent to the situation.

Now they are grown-up but it's ingrained in me and I just have the odd glass a few times a year for a treat.

(I am also glad that amongst their memories there will be none of me drunk.)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
...so a power strip needs quality sockets to give a better connection...

Standard sockets already have an exellent connection that allows the current to flow freely without adding any extra risistance. How exactly do you think that this can be improved can be improved?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
...A well constructed one will reject RFI and EMI...

Reject both RFI and EMI?

RFI stands for Radio Frequency Interference and EMI stands for ElectroMagnetic Interference.

Radio frequencies ares just part of the ElectroMagnetic spectrum. They're part of the same thing.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
CnoEvil said:
...A well constructed one will reject RFI and EMI...

You say that it can reject both RFI and EMI?

If you want a detailed answer, you would be better speaking to the likes of John Carrick (Atlas) or Darren (Clearer Audio)...I'll have a go, but don't take it as gospel....and I'm not getting into a long argument / debate over it.

Things that reject EMI and RFI:

- A metal housing

- Braiding of wiring

- Isolation of sockets prevents interaction between them

- Shielded cables using a metal foil which shunt electromagnetic energy to the ground.

- Low pass filtering

- Passive filtering

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
CnoEvil said:
...so a power strip needs quality sockets to give a better connection...

Standard sockets already have an exellent connection that allows the current to flow freely without adding any extra risistance. How exactly do you think that this can be improved can be improved?

IME. Cheap sockets have cheap connectors.......but don't take my word for it, and try it out.

As I said, I'm not getting sucked into this.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
If you want a detailed answer, you would be better speaking to the likes of John Carrick (Atlas) or Darren (Clearer Audio)...I'll have a go, but don't take it as gospel....and I'm not getting into a long argument / debate over it.

I'm sorry Cno. :) I don't mean to be pedantic or rude but some of your comments show that you don't really understand what's involved regarding how electric cables actually work. What your comments are doing is scaremongering unnecessarily.

For the record I do agree that electonics can sometimes be effected by EMI where shielding and/or filtering would help. But it's worth pointing that for most people in most circumstances the levels of EMI are going to be far below the levels where it would make any noticable difference.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts