Just heard the audio research VSI60 INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
I just heard this behemoth of an amp a few days ago paired with Dyanaudio Dm 2/6s and Chario floorstanders going for 600 pounds.

I was mesmerised by the soundstage, the speakers almost disappeared. The treble was very very realistic guitars sizzled when needed and went back into the soundstage when not. Dynamic range was another strength, going soft to loud without effort, it sounded like a pre power to be honest.

Then came the midrange, I was quite disappointed to hear that from an amp over 2500 pounds. It was no where as smooth as the Cayin's, it sounded like a very unrefined solid state let alone a relatively expensive tube amp. It was congested on the bottom octaves, aren't tubes supposed to be best at producing vocals?

Then there was the bass, I've always like the bass of the Dynaudios but through these they sounded chubby in the middle an almost bloated quality. It just sounded wrong, the owner however seemed to like it :rofl: . One thin I admired was the grip on the bass for a tube amp, although the bass it did give up sounded weird.

Perhaps it was the system matching, the Charios are not my favourite speakers but I really like the Dynaudios but through this amp they just seemed to lose their talents in the mid and bass region.

So poor system matching can actually ruin the sound of a good piece of equipment, I mean this amp has received great reviews but my experience differs! If this is how this amp actually sounds then I would buy the Cayin every single time and save 1500 pounds!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
It's good to read your impressions.

The VSi60 is not a fully tubed amp as it uses Transistors (JFET) in the input stage, but I'm surprised the mid-range wasn't up to scratch (though it is fairly neutral)........and it was definitely hit with the ugly stick!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts