Just for your information...

tounra

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
I don't want to bring out a heated discussion, but this weekend I did a listening test, to determine differences between the Musical Fidelity V-DAC MKII and my two CD players, Marantz CD6000Ki and Marantz CD5000.

Both my CD players and V-DAC MKII are connected to a Marantz PM7200 amp via the same type and brand interconnects, Wireworld OASIS 5. I compared the V-DAC (connected to my iMac) with both CD players and my Marantz CD5000 connected to the V-DAC in comparison with CD5000's own DAC and Marantz CD6000 KI.

I evaluated using Denon AH-D5000 headphones and Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo speakers.

I didn't hear any differences.

None.

Zero.

Conclusion?

All CD players sound the same? To conclude this I have to listen to every single CD player out there, which would be ridiculous, but I don't think I will ever upgrade my source again, and when my cd players and DAC break down I probably will buy the cheapest CD player/DAC out there.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
tounra said:
I don't want to bring out a heated discussion, but this weekend I did a listening test, to determine differences between the Musical Fidelity V-DAC MKII and my two CD players, Marantz CD6000Ki and Marantz CD5000.

Both my CD players and V-DAC MKII are connected to a Marantz PM7200 amp via the same type and brand interconnects, Wireworld OASIS 5. I compared the V-DAC (connected to my iMac) with both CD players and my Marantz CD5000 connected to the V-DAC in comparison with CD5000's own DAC and Marantz CD6000 KI.

I evaluated using Denon AH-D5000 headphones and Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo speakers.

I didn't hear any differences.

None.

Zero.

Conclusion?

All CD players sound the same? To conclude this I have to listen to every single CD player out there, which would be ridiculous, but I don't think I will ever upgrade my source again, and when my cd players and DAC break down I probably will buy the cheapest CD player/DAC out there.

Yes, there were no audible differences and you won't get a heated debate from me, as I've done exactly the same sort of thing.

If you want improved sound, focus on speakers and amplification.

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Conclusion.... get some new ears! And pray tell me please, why do some folk spend thousands on players, if a twenty quid one from tesco will do the same job?:wave:

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
sogophonio11 said:
Conclusion.... get some new ears! And pray tell me please, why do some folk spend thousands on players, if a twenty quid one from tesco will do the same job?:wave:

Clearly it's not sound quality.

Perhaps just because they can? The box looks nice, feels nice and heavy and has a good warranty?

Who knows?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
sogophonio11 said:
Pure rubbish!! What a sill point of view. You clearly do not know what you are talking about.:shhh:

It's not so much point of view, but what has been gleened by many people prepared to do the back to back testing needed to know this as fact. Having a listen to a few components in isolation when demoing is not grounds to really hear anything other than perception bias on anything other than speakers really or with particularly poor equipment (and to be fair, there is really not much in the way of poor equipment these days).

There really isn't the seemingly large differences reported in sound between digital sources, even more so when used as transports through a common DAC.

To believe otherwise is delusion.

Now the heated debate can start. ;)

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
Was it Stereophile mag. which said that the Sony PS1 was as good as a $6,000 cd player?

Indeed, there was a very expensive CD player that was discovered to be simply a recased DVD player. No doubt the owners of said expensive CD player and the reviewers all thought it sounded great until the unveiling. Interestingly the DVD player sounded oddly like the much more expensive rehoused version.

Do not underestimate the strength of perception bias.

Here are some examples.

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
You have your heated debate. Ive better things to be getting on with! Off to work now, working with hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of sound equipment!:) Dont need to be told about my proffesion by people who are just looking for a response:wave:

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
sogophonio11 said:
And was it WHF that said the new oppo wasnt up to scratch? While all other reviews said it was reference?:?

Well, if you already had the Oppo, I'd take the review that suited you best. ;)

Reviews are nothing other than one persons subjective opinion, valid only to the reviewer.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
sogophonio11 said:
Off to work now, working with hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of sound equipment!:)

...When in fact all you really need is

51uJR5MXTFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
smiley-wink.gif

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
sogophonio11 said:
You have your heated debate. Ive better things to be getting on with! Off to work now, working with hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of sound equipment!:) Dont need to be told about my proffesion by people who are just looking for a response:wave:

Not so far it seems.

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
tounra said:

Why bother with a CD player at all? You can stream files directly these days which gets rid of all those CD cases. It also helps free you from the tyranny of your own music collection.

tounra

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
I wasn't very honest, when my CD players break down I will not buy the cheapest CD player out there but most probably the best looking. Luckily though the best looking CD players are mostly the moderately cheaper ones, I like the design to be simple and boxy in a Japanese way.

(CD6000Ki imho stil is the best looking CD player)

The biggest upgrade I ever did was buying Denon AH-D5000's headphones. The digital glare, graininess and hardness I alway associated with a Cd player's performance was gone with the D5000s, true some recordings remain pretty poor, but a 'better' (read: more expensive) source will never alter this.

Next upgrade will be a pair of better speakers, matching the overall character of my headphones.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I have just upgraded my power supply for my M-DAC & it sounds different but not sure if it sounds better... Anyway its on 30day trial period.. So yes in a way source does make a diference... I suppose it also depends what you can do to the source.

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon said:
I have just upgraded my power supply for my M-DAC & it sounds different but not sure if it sounds better... Anyway its on 30day trial period.. So yes in a way source does make a diference... I suppose it also depends what you can do to the source.

Who is your power supplier? Mine (Npower) only have one grade of electricity available: 240 volts, 50Hz alternating current.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
tounra said:

I didn't hear any differences. None. Zero.

Conclusion? All CD players sound the same? To conclude this I have to listen to every single CD player out there, which would be ridiculous, but I don't think I will ever upgrade my source again, and when my cd players and DAC break down I probably will buy the cheapest CD player/DAC out there.

Interesting, but I think this needs unpacking in a few respects. For one (or two), what format are the files on your iMac in, and how is the iMac connected to the V-DAC?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
tounra said:

I didn't hear any differences. None. Zero.

Conclusion? All CD players sound the same? To conclude this I have to listen to every single CD player out there, which would be ridiculous, but I don't think I will ever upgrade my source again, and when my cd players and DAC break down I probably will buy the cheapest CD player/DAC out there.

Interesting, but I think this needs unpacking in a few respects. For one (or two), what format are the files on your iMac in, and how is the iMac connected to the V-DAC?

There were no differences apparent to the OP via whatever files were used and when also compared to CD players, so the file format is not particularly relevant I would say. I have carried out similar tests using various CD players and DACs and came to the same conclusion.

Digital sources are now not much of a consideration for me, with only functionality being of any real concern.

tounra

Sep 25, 2007
Visit site
I have connected my iMac via Nuforce Impulse USB cable. Formats are MP3 256 KB/ps, AIFF and Spotify Unlimited (160 KB/ps) I have set the V-DAC mKII to upsample to 88.2 kHz.

Apart from this set-up I also compared the V-DAC directly with my Marantz CD5000's DAC, by connecting the V-DAC with my CD5000 via a digital interconnect, I was able to switch directly between CD input (CD5000) and AUX (V-DAC). I honestly wasn't able to hear any differences. I am not trolling and it certainly isn't my intention to insult anyone who spends a lot of money with this hobby, though I'm aware I have insulted some...

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
pauln said:
Native_bon said:

Who is your power supplier? Mine (Npower) only have one grade of electricity available: 240 volts, 50Hz alternating current.

Mine is from Mains CABLES ARE US..(Regulated Linear PSU) My system now sounds much clearer & fuller.. Pleased so far.

Also one thing I am beinging to notice with any upgrade you need to play as many Albums as possible.. To really hear what the new Equpiment is doing to the sound. Now i dnt just hear.. I see the music. :dance:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts