Just changed from Cobra 3 to Anthem......my word!!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I ordered this second hand set of cables during the forum going even more mad about cables than normal. It made me sceptical and half the reason for me being ok about shelling a lot of money was knowing that if I wasn't happy, I would easily get my money back on Ebay (cables bought for £135 delivered). I recently posted on the Home Cinema section after doing a test on hdmi cables and resulting that the differences were miniscule. I left the cd in the player which happened to be my girlfriend's Funk Groove compilation. I played it with the Cobra first, memorising the sound from the opening bars and then quickly changed over to the Anthem. I was astonished. There was so much difference. Instruments sounded more real and defined, the bass is now gorgeous. I am still in shock. I was expecting some difference (maybe). I got a real example of how interconnects can improve your system. I can only imagine what difference it would make on a really good set up.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]I ordered this second hand set of cables during the forum going even more mad about cables than normal. It made me sceptical and half the reason for me being ok about shelling a lot of money was knowing that if I wasn't happy, I would easily get my money back on Ebay

[/quote]

I wish I had a quid for every time a true foo believer starts off by announcing they are a sceptic.
emotion-39.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm still using *cough* £20 *cough* QED Qenex 1....and er.....*big cough* Maplin speaker cable....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]I ordered this second hand set of cables during the forum going even more mad about cables than normal. It made me sceptical and half the reason for me being ok about shelling a lot of money was knowing that if I wasn't happy, I would easily get my money back on Ebay (cables bought for £135 delivered). I recently posted on the Home Cinema section after doing a test on hdmi cables and resulting that the differences were miniscule. I left the cd in the player which happened to be my girlfriend's Funk Groove compilation. I played it with the Cobra first, memorising the sound from the opening bars and then quickly changed over to the Anthem. I was astonished. There was so much difference. Instruments sounded more real and defined, the bass is now gorgeous. I am still in shock. I was expecting some difference (maybe). I got a real example of how interconnects can improve your system. I can only imagine what difference it would make on a really good set up.[/quote]

I just don't believe it made *that* much of a difference mate. Yes there are minute differences between cables but sometimes these are imagined, ie the more expensive cable is bound to sound better etc. Cables can't 'transform' a system, I (cue Victor Meldrew voice) don't believe it.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, sceptics, let's say it 'just' made a small difference. It's cost less than £100 (price of cables on eBay minus selling the old ones) - that's a small price for an upgrade that's made the man so happy.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I don't care what you think. If you read my post about hdmi cables you would realise that I would have been quite happy to find no difference and then not worry ever again about upgrading cables. And it was not just a small difference. The Cobra is a good cable but the Anthem improved the sound a lot. Anyone would notice the difference.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Wild Willy"]Cables can't 'transform' a system[/quote]

Correct if you mean by that that cables are the last component anyone should look at to improve their system/s. It really is only a way to fine tune a set-up thats otherwise sorted. Fundamental changes to sound, if necessary, should be made elsewhere first.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]I don't care what you think. If you read my post about hdmi cables you would realise that I would have been quite happy to find no difference and then not worry ever again about upgrading cables. And it was not just a small difference. The Cobra is a good cable but the Anthem improved the sound a lot. Anyone would notice the difference.[/quote]And hurrah to that
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Sprockens, what is a true foo believer? You are obviously a non believer who if burnt with a flame would announce that it was cold.[/quote]

Foo is voodoo kit that 'transforms' systems - Russ Andrews has catalogues full of it :)
Expensive BS to most folk though ;-)

I'm not for one moment saying that interconnects and cables make no difference. They do and I have half-decent ones in my system. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, they make subtle changes at best. Those who blow hundreds on cabling for systems costing hundreds are fools as far as I'm concerned. Still, it's only my opinion and I'm as welcome to it as you are to yours.

A

Anonymous

I'm going to stick my neck on the line here mate. It's amazing how something sounded brilliant the first time I changed a component or cable (and clearly others on this forum have "experienced" similar outstanding changes with relatively minor changes in set up). But when I "retested", the sound was always not nearly as dramatic as I first thought once the cold light of day hit. Not to say that I don't believe you, but I've been there - spend a fortune, thought it was ace, stuck my old cable/amp/CDP in the loft, took it all out when bored (several months later) and tinkered; found no or hardly any difference - but maybe it is my ever degrading lugs! Having tested cables I am not sure that there is so much of a difference between them after about 50 squid or so, however, I attach the caveat (slaughter me at will) that I have never tested a cable with RRP over £225.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="simonkee"]I'm going to stick my neck on the line here mate. It's amazing how something sounded brilliant the first time I changed a component or cable (and clearly others on this forum have "experienced" similar outstanding changes with relatively minor changes in set up). But when I "retested", the sound was always not nearly as dramatic as I first thought once the cold light of day hit. Not to say that I don't believe you, but I've been there - spend a fortune, thought it was ace, stuck my old cable/amp/CDP in the loft, took it all out when bored (several months later) and tinkered; found no or hardly any difference - but maybe it is my ever degrading lugs! Having tested cables I am not sure that there is so much of a difference between them after about 50 squid or so, however, I attach the caveat (slaughter me at will) that I have never tested a cable with RRP over £225.[/quote]

I could find *no* difference between (speaker cable) Townshend Isolda DCT, Nordost Blue Heaven and cheapo Gale copper wire from Richers. These were all bought by me and all tested by me in a pretty decent system. I wouldn't say it was my ears at fault either because I'm a musician and have perfect pitch. I would say my ears are better than most. After this testing session I fell out of love with the whole cable thing and just settle for decent well-made cabling now. Funnily enough I can tell the difference between Chord Odyssey and Gale speaker cable and I've a pretty good ear for different interconnects. Ho hum.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
As I've mentioned, I really am not bothered if people believe what I have written and I appreciate what you say Simon. The sound from the opening of the first song I listened to was a little tinny using the Cobra and then it sounded like it was playing in front of me. Voices were smoother and the bass, entirely different. I don't know whether it's because the jump in quality was so vast but I can only report how I heard it. Again, I honestly would have no problem slaughtering a product - I've used Isotek plugs and Merlin cables and not noticed any difference. This was real and as I've said before, if you have £1k a piece products, I'd imagine the difference would be even more noticeable. The company I bought the cable from make their own - now we are talking ridiculous prices here. £5k was the top price the guy mentioned! One of his customers bought one of the cheaper cables and part exchanged the Anthem.

A

Anonymous

Hey Gerrard, I'm not knocking you, I'm just sharing with you my own experience, and from your previous postings I am sure you are probably right in that most people with half a lug would identify the improvement in sound between the two interconnects you've tested...P.S. I had a set of Cobra's and they dulled the sound in comparison to some non-branded £10 cables off Ebay, on my previous Rotel RA04 and my current Kandy.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, when I upgraded from the Cobra to a Chameleon Silver Plus I was surprised at the difference. The Cobra just seems to take something away, even compared to the QED Qunex 2. Tried a Nordost Baldur too - sounded like somebody polished the glass...

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Simon. I didn't think you were mate. I just find it funny how some people (not you) have their minds made up and they haven't even tried a cable worth worrying about. For instance, the Cobra was my best cable before today - I would not comment on someone who had demo'd a top of the range VDH, Nordost, Chord etc., unless I had some experience. Heads sand buried.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Simon. I didn't think you were mate. I just find it funny how some people (not you) have their minds made up and they haven't even tried a cable worth worrying about. For instance, the Cobra was my best cable before today - I would not comment on someone who had demo'd a top of the range VDH, Nordost, Chord etc., unless I had some experience. Heads sand buried.[/quote]

Fair comment

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts