just bought audio technica at91 cartridge for technics sl1200

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, just splashed out the massive amount of 18 quid on a brand new audiotechnica cartridge and have to say for a cheapy im very impressed. Just spun are you experienced lp from jimi hendrix the sound was so tight and musical, a very enjoyable listen. Ive also reverted back to my silver anniversay cable too and the sound has deepened and tightened up another few notches too....one happy mcr 603 owner :dance:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I splashed out about £69 on a Shure M97xe for my brand new Rega RP6, and though it hasn't arrived yet, I'm confident it will be the equal (or better) of much more expensive cartridges, and I really couldn't justify spending £200 + on something that might not be any good.

Here's to bargain cartridges.
cheers.gif

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Looking at the size of a cartridge, you have to wonder how much you can actually put in there to justify some being 20-30 times the price of others. I can't claim to have tested loads but surely the law of diminishing returns must kick in pretty quickly.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
exactly i just dont think theres much need to spend a fortune anymore to get great quality sound... my previous system was over 3k all mono blocs and wires and was never happy with it,,, just goes to show eh

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I splashed out about £69 on afor my brand new Rega RP6, and though it hasn't arrived yet, I'm confident it will be the equal (or better) of much more expensive cartridges, and I really couldn't justify spending £200 + on something that might not be any good.

Here's to bargain cartridges.
cheers.gif

I recently got that cartridge and have to say I prefer my Ortofon. Clearer, more extended treble and more neutral. Thats not to say you wont like it of course.

Its a high compliance cartridge ideally suited to low mass arms. I also read that increasing load from the recommended 47kohm will extend the top. Unfortunately I dont have that option on my built in stage.

Hope you enjoy yours.

regards

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

MakkaPakka said:
Looking at the size of a cartridge, you have to wonder how much you can actually put in there to justify some being 20-30 times the price of others. I can't claim to have tested loads but surely the law of diminishing returns must kick in pretty quickly.

I don't doubt that there are differences between cartridges, but as you say, there can't be that much of a difference in quality to justify such a massive difference in price.

I'm not going to get in to a heated debate on the subject, but I do sometimes wonder if some people who have bought these top priced items, convince themselves there is an improvement in PQ/SQ, when really, there is none.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
yeah totally agree i think a substantial improement in sq wld have to be heard to justify it but as already stated diminishing returns will kick in sooner or later so why go mad .I.m chuffed with my cartridge for 18 quid my cr603 was only 380 my technics t/t was bought brand new off the bay about 6 years ago for 240 and my cm1s with stands 500 and the sq for that money is just amazing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts