Just bought an Asus Nexus 7

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Never owned one before, not really used Android a great deal either.

Any good guides online or in store that will help me understand how to use it?

I note many different screens, apps and widgets - it's a little bewildering on first glance.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
LHC, consuming media for the most part - Youtube, iPlayer, Netflix, Spotify etc. No social media.

It's more a general guide to settings/usage/layout that I'm after - understanding the various screens etc.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
LHC, consuming media for the most part - Youtube, iPlayer, Netflix, Spotify etc.

YouTube should be pre-installed, it's owned by Google now, for the rest of it, go to the Google Play app (which should be on a desktop somewhere) and put them in the search field, you'll find the apps easily enough, install them and off you go, there isn't much more to it than that.

It's more a general guide to settings/usage/layout that I'm after - understanding the various screens etc.

The screens are all the same, they're just real estate for you to drop your app shortcuts and widgets onto.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks both - I hadn't charged and switched on at the time of first posting - just noticed there was no manual in the box, despite the store telling me otherwise.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
Not found the manual yet. Struggling as I don't have a Google account. Was told in store it wouldn't be necessary...

Ypu can't use the storewithout one.

So, while it's correct you "can" use it without, you will struggle to do much.

As said, it's pretty easy. Just create a Gmail account.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I returned it - couldn't get on with all this Gmail, Google+ stuff rammed down my throat. All the synching of info across various apps and Google products seems forced, possibly sinister.

I didn't feel in control of anything.

All I wanted was a simple log in to purchase apps.

I ended up with social networking and my info/photo appearing all over the place. Very disconcerting.

On the positive side, it was very quick to load and flick between apps. The layout and design is far more versatile than my old iTouch.

I thought I had figured out what the difference was between apps and widgets until I visited the Play store, where they all seemed to be lumped together.

The widgets I did try were pretty useful - not seen that on Apple products but my iTouch was very old.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
I returned it - couldn't get on with all this Gmail, Google+ stuff rammed down my throat. All the synching of info across various apps and Google products seems forced, possibly sinister. I didn't feel in control of anything. All I wanted was a simple log in to purchase apps. I ended up with social networking and my info/photo appearing all over the place. Very disconcerting.

Can't help thinking that's a massive over-reaction, if you don't want to use gmail and Google+ then don't use it! I can't believe it's any more sinister than the iDevice equivalent. If you're already an iPhone user though why didn't you just get an iPad mini?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I actually agree with the OP a bit re the googleverse that Android foist on you. I've had Gmail for years and suddenly it sprouted lots of google+ add-ons without warning. And then people kept bombarding me with circles and fwend requests. It's like a crap facebook that you didn't know you didn't want or need.

I've switched it all off, but it was a bit confusing and I actually nearly accidentally deleted my gmail account that I've had since 2004 (so lots of important stuff in there).

As an aside, I see you can no-longer rate apps on Android without google+ and your real name appearing. Annoyingly, lots of Apps often have pop-ups seeking a rating. I don't mind rating apps, and jotting a few words, but I certainly don't want my real name to appear next to them. What's available on me online is solely related to my professional persona - I don't want any of the "real me" to show up on any lazy google search by a co-worker/competitor/recruitment consultant etc.

daveh75

Big Aura said:
I actually agree with the OP a bit re the googleverse that Android foist on you. I've had Gmail for years and suddenly it sprouted lots of google+ add-ons without warning. And then people kept bombarding me with circles and fwend requests. It's like a crap facebook that you didn't know you didn't want or need. I've switched it all off, but it was a bit confusing and I actually nearly accidentally deleted my gmail account that I've had since 2004 (so lots of important stuff in there).

If you have/had G+ then its because you created a profile.

Are they trying to 'encourage' people to create one, by various means? Absolutely. But it isn't foist on you, at least for the moment...

As an aside, I see you can no-longer rate apps on Android without google+ and your real name appearing. Annoyingly, lots of Apps often have pop-ups seeking a rating. I don't mind rating apps, and jotting a few words, but I certainly don't want my real name to appear next to them. What's available on me online is solely related to my professional persona - I don't want any of the "real me" to show up on any lazy google search by a co-worker/competitor/recruitment consultant etc.

That's as much about dealing with the trolling problems (as well as more data points) and YouTube is going the same way.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Big Aura, glad to know I'm not alone.

I couldn't proceed without Gmail, despite already having an email address. Once logged in the screen is filled with Google's own apps, launching them requires a profile and you cannot delete those apps.

You could, quite easily, be unknowingly publishing your photos and other data online for all to see.

In the end I went back and purchased an iPad Mini. Starting the device was far easier, and upon first accessing the home screen I wasn't overwhelmed with apps requesting further information.

This topic is a bit redundant now, apologies for that.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:

Are they trying to 'encourage' people to create one, by various means? Absolutely. But it isn't foist on you, at least for the moment...

Actually I've just gone through the motions of opening a new Gmail account to check this. It automatically sets up a Google+ account. It prompts for a photo to be uploaded with an innocuous "this is how you will appear" prompt, but doesn't say "we will plaster your image every time you comment on something, and possibly use your image to target adverts to your circles contacts". Google are abusing their gmail dominance to package google+ to people who don't really want it. I wonder have they fully considered the competition/antitrust ramifications...

The account is there, and you can ignore it or deactivate it, rather than it being something that you should be given an opportunity to opt in to.

daveh75 said:
dealing with the trolling problems (as well as more data points) and YouTube is going the same way.

There are other way to deal with trolling. I post here as Big Aura. If I'm some sort of cyber bully or troll, you can complain to WHF and they'll warn me or delete my account. I appreciate that publishing under ones own name will serve as a disincentive to be a troll, but setting up a default system where my picture and real name appear next to everything leaves the poster exposed.

If you're a pretty teenage girl, it will alert web creeps to your existance/appearance and possibly elevate the risk of being a target. If I had to publish everything under my real name and photo on here, I probably wouldn't bother.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Not to contradict any previous posts I dont really understand the problem. I use a Samsung and Nexus 7 without any issues. Thats not to say that Google are doing a pretty good job of ruling the world.since Microsoft lost the world domination plot. Shame the op gave up but choice is the real king here.

Where Google rules your life, Apple rules your choices.

daveh75

Big Aura said:
daveh75 said:

Actually I've just gone through the motions of opening a new Gmail account to check this. It automatically sets up a Google+ account. It prompts for a photo to be uploaded with an innocuous "this is how you will appear" prompt, but doesn't say "we will plaster your image every time you comment on something, and possibly use your image to target adverts to your circles contacts". Google are abusing their gmail dominance to package google+ to people who don't really want it. I wonder have they fully considered the competition/antitrust ramifications...

The account is there, and you can ignore it or deactivate it, rather than it being something that you should be given an opportunity to opt in to.

daveh75 said:
dealing with the trolling problems (as well as more data points) and YouTube is going the same way.

There are other way to deal with trolling. I post here as Big Aura. If I'm some sort of cyber bully or troll, you can complain to WHF and they'll warn me or delete my account. I appreciate that publishing under ones own name will serve as a disincentive to be a troll, but setting up a default system where my picture and real name appear next to everything leaves the poster exposed.

If you're a pretty teenage girl, it will alert web creeps to your existance/appearance and possibly elevate the risk of being a target. If I had to publish everything under my real name and photo on here, I probably wouldn't bother.

Must have been a recent change. I don't have, want and have never been forced to create a G+ profile. I have noticed recently when I log into YT it asks if I want to create one profile for all of google now, which I always decline.

A forum is somewhat easier to manage than 1000s of comments on millions of videos/apps to be fair.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I suppose Apple limits your choices in respect of hardware but they're all much of a muchness.

From the post I've read it would seem nobody is quite sure what Google requests/requires of them.

That in itself is enough to put me off - I prefer simplicity and to fully understanding the product I'm using.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Just got my new nexus and am not keen on the width - there is very little side to hold on to.

Incidentally, the manual was on the home screen of the last nexus 7 but not the new. Indeed, I don't think it is on the tablet itself anywhere, but I'm not sure yet.

I got up and running - to the point where I cpuld web browse - completely without recourse to my Google accounts - I just ignored any prompts. It is still telling me to log in properly on my homescreen though. Google+ irrtates me now and then and youtub is obsessed withtrying to make youuse your real name but that's pretty much the extent of my google irritations i think. Anyway, i dont see me going microsoft or apple any time soon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts