Just as i thought the Onkyo875 was the choice.....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've set myself a budget of £600 to pair an AV amp with my quad l-ite setup. Lots of review reading and questions later, i'd missed all the black 875's but there are places still selling the silver for £600. job done, then i read the award release of WHSAV and see the yamaha 863 review.

I know it should be a case of audition everything and in home if possible, but the 875 is thin on the ground right now and with nowhere local to me which i could get one for audition.

My listening is around 70% movies and gaming with 30% music. I've got an old Rotel stereo amp which i'm happy to continue using though.

Is the yammy going to shine over the 875? is there any others for the same price range i should look at? considering the yammy won the annual award for that price range, i probably already know the answer to that though.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
If you hang onto the Rotel, I'd still go for the Onkyo - remember, it's an Award-winning £1000 receiver. The Yamaha was originally £800, and it a total steal at £600 (or the @£500 you're more likely to pay), but i'd be out-grunted by the Onkyo for movies, plus the big Onk offers more HDMI/video-scaling flexibility.

If you ditch the Rotel, i'd go with the Yamaha, as it's more musical - or explore the Sony options at that price level, too.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the speedy response. The rotel is an old 971mk2, but it's fine at the moment for music. That's not to say i won't upgrade the amp and front speakers accordingly in the future.

I had planned on comparing the stereo performance with the onkyo biamp'd and my current stereo amp anyway.

Thanks again :)

A

Anonymous

ianandyr:The Onk's a great piece of kit. Very handy with a stereo source IMO.

Do you have one?

Is the heat 'issue' that bad?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
ianandyr:
I do.

I have mine on a very deep shelf, lots of room for the air to circulate and it still gets pretty warm. Never been any kind of problem though.

Seconded. exceot mine hardly gets warm at all.

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone. I think i'm going to stick with my original choice of the Onk. Can't really go wrong for £600.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts