Just a thought............

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
While my Audilab 8200CD is in for repair, I dug out my old NAD C515 CDP. I then proceeded to listen to it for 3 hours non stop, because it sounded so good! Obviously the most important thing with hifi equipment is that we enjoy listening to it, regardless of reviews, cost etc., but I'm surprised and bemused at finding the NAD so engaging. It makes me wonder if there was more wrong with the Audiolab than just the failed power supply, but it did sound excellent, not just as good as the NAD. I also wonder if I've stumbled apon some synergy in the system with the NAD, Rotel RA1520 amp, and PMC DB1i speakers? Either way, I'll be comparing with the Audiolab when I get it back, but at the moment it looks like I'll be sticking with the NAD.

As I've mentioned before hi-fi is generally narrow margins. The one question I've always asked myself is WHY? I've heard better speakers and sources than my current bundles but get soooo much enjoyment from it 'as is'.

I'm sure the Audiolab is more detailed than the Nad and have better dynamics, but for everyday listening your Nad may suit you better. There's no real logic to hi-fi...

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
All you can really do is to wait for the return of your 8200CD then compare. As PP has pointed out - sometimes there's no rhyme nor reason to HiFi.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Interesting comments, especially as I was expecting recommendations for a good audiologist!

I was additionally confused to find that using the NAD as a transport linked to a VDac via optical cable sounded superb but not as intimate, warm , engaging and 'natural' as the NAD on it's own.

whiskywheels

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
It is all too easy to get swept up in expectation and what 'should' be better. No need to see an audiologist at all. Maybe it is just time to take stock and re-evaluate what works best for YOU.

I'm sure I'll manage somehow.

A

Anonymous

That is why you should only trust your own ears. The reviews you read in the magazines are only guidelines. Tested in another environment, with other hifi etc. I have done a lot of cable testing and the outcome was often totally different when a friend tried them out in his own hifi system. So, what works for you is what matters.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Hi-Fi has to be about what you enjoy otherwise you end up with a system to please people who will never even listen to it.

I agree with PP's post. Sometimes it is surprising what works best for you.

This is probably the most true and accurate statement that I have ever seen on any HiFi forum :exmark:

Well said :clap:

scene

Electro said:
matthewpiano said:
Hi-Fi has to be about what you enjoy otherwise you end up with a system to please people who will never even listen to it.

I agree with PP's post. Sometimes it is surprising what works best for you.

This is probably the most true and accurate statement that I have ever seen on any HiFi forum :exmark:

Well said :clap:

+1 on that.

The hi fi in my study (and my only pure Hi Fi system!) consists of my old Arcam A85, my project Debut II, my DV88 (as a CD player only) and a ZP90, both as a source and to allow me to stream my tt around the house. For speakers I have a pair of AE Compact 1s. The sound is great - both me and Mrs. Scene love it. Apart fromt the Sonos and Speakers, most of the kit is 8-12 years old.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Without being over academically technical,

Alot can be explained by 'philosophy of mind'.
Just attempting to model a fair test in determining A vs B test is not as simple as you think.

I think psychologists can do alot of studies into this.
What is the aim of music? What is the aim of your setup?

There is so much to say about this.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts