Jordi Savall recordings - anyone familiar with his recording technique?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Recently been playing Jordi Savall's 'Marin Marais - Suitte d'un Gout Etranger' SACD. KO'd by the SQ - really extraordinary separation, sonic range and '3D effect'. I assume that Savall's recordings are considered as reference? I'd imagine that with a decent system, there'd be a real sense of 'the musicians are in my living room'? So, does anyone know anything about Savall's recording techniques? Intrigued to know what makes the 'Savall sound' so exceptional. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

While I can't answer your question about his recording techniques, I agree about the quality of his recordings, both SQ and musical quality. (Only thing with a couple of them is that they are miked so closely that his breathing becomes a bit intrusive.) I'm particularly enjoying "Estampies and Danses Royales" (with Hesperion XXI) at the moment.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
jrwight:...(Only thing with a couple of them is that they are miked so closely that his breathing becomes a bit intrusive.) I'm particularly enjoying "Estampies and Danses Royales" (with Hesperion XXI) at the moment.

Also enjoying Estampies and Danses Royales - delivered yesterday, along with Purcell: Fantasias for the Viols (only £7.99 @ Amazon) - what beautiful playing!

Hear what your saying re the breathing, but perhaps that's a trade-off when hearing such detailed sound?

Had a peep at the booklet's pics of the recording sessions: the 'studio' appears to be the corner of a Medieval church, with a domed ceiling approx 30ft-high; the band sat in a semi-circle around a T-shape mic-stand, with five mics set at head-height, and each musician was approx 5ft from the stand. Hardly cutting-edge kit.

I assume that Manuel Mohino, who is credited for the transfer and SACD mastering, should take much of the credit for the SQ?

I've also noticed that when listening to Savill's discs, my amp is 8-10 clicks higher compared to releases by Linn, DG and other 'non-compressed'-type recordings.

Since becoming aware of Savill/HespŠrion XXI, methinks I'll be needing more CD-shelf space...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts