JBL L82 Classic

Renfrew

Jul 20, 2020
Visit site
I had the original 100's and they looked cool but their limitations was that they colored the sound in addition they had to be placed in certain locations to where one sat.
Everything had the L100 sound and no matter what was played-- that's what it was.
I then discovered Allison speakers which blew me away because there was an entirely different sound. I just switched from the California sound to the New England sound and there was just no comparison. The soundstage just opened up with the various Allisons speakers I owned and consequently the JBL's were sold. The Allisons had tweeters which made it possible to appreciate high end frequencies emanating from an off-axis location and the music was more laid back. I still own a pair of JBL L26 speakers and as all JBL speakers, they sound great for they are that's rock music and as monitors. Listening to speakers is subjective as we all know and that's what makes the world go around.

Last edited:

Pcrhkr

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
Seems at $2500.00 USD these are way over priced. There is much competition in the small bookshelf market and many products to choose from. Elac for example has many models that fall below this price range. So does Klipsch, and many others and have tower options as well.

Rucket!

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
I own these speakers and am very pleased with them. They do a terrific job with rock music, delivering a warm and lively sound with plenty of tight and nicely controlled bass. While they are not transparent and neutral like my previous speakers (Thiels), that can be a good thing depending on your tastes. The Thiels, for example, sucked the life out of albums like The Rolling Stones' Sticky Fingers, whereas the L82s do just the opposite. I also find they handle more delicate rock-oriented offerings quite well, such as Bob Dylan’s Nashville Skyline. And they image nicely and put out a full soundstage that works in my rather large room. Listening sessions just seem to last longer, go louder and are more satisfying than they were with my previous speakers -- especially when playing vinyl. So, I think What Hi-Fi’s review make sense. These are amazing speakers for many people’s tastes. Plus, my 6-year old loves the foam grilles (don’t even think about buying these speakers if you own a destructive cat that likes to shred things).

Last edited:

o2so

Aug 25, 2020
Visit site
With all due respect for the reviewer's opinion, I must say I strongly disagree in particular with one statement, that is that these speakers lack finesse due to the fact that the tweeter is crossed over lower than what it is in the L100. I am listening to the L82 as I am typing and can clearly hear all the nuances and details of my test tracks, many of which were not nearly as well-rendered in previous speakers I have owned which costed much more (e.g. B&W 805 D3). I feel that such a strong comment should be substantiated by some facts. Was the tweeter distortion measured, showing a peak above the crossover frequency which could explain the alleged lack of finesse? My subjective experience is that these speakers do not lack finesse in the slightest amount.

Last edited:

Rucket!

Aug 24, 2020
Visit site
With all due respect for the reviewer's opinion, I must say I strongly disagree in particular with one statement, that is that these speakers lack finesse due to the fact that the tweeter is crossed over lower than what it is in the L100. I am listening to the L82 as I am typing and can clearly hear all the nuances and details of my test tracks, many of which were not nearly as well-rendered in previous speakers I have owned which costed much more (e.g. B&W 805 D3). I feel that such a strong comment should be substantiated by some facts. Was the tweeter distortion measured, showing a peak above the crossover frequency which could explain the alleged lack of finesse? My subjective experience is that these speakers do not lack finesse in the slightest amount.
I can second this opinion (see my post above). I find that the L82s provide plenty of detail. Consider, for instance, the notorious clicking of Bob Dylan's coat-sleeve buttons on his guitar's pick guard on Blood on the Tracks. I can hear the clicks clear as a bell on my L82s. Of course, I have not heard the L100s so perhaps What Hi-Fi has better context to make its observation.

KaptenMicro

May 12, 2021
Visit site
Hi

i have them and like them. Have had them with the Lyngdorf tdai 1120 but have sold the Lyngdorf.

my question is if someone compared the L82’s with Kef ls50 wireless 2?
I have a quite small room and maybe the kef’s will be better?

thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts