Jazz on vinyl

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hey,

I have one jazz record: Miles Davis 'Kind Of Blue', which I really like and I want to get some more Jazz vinyl. Problem is, I know vilch-o about jazz, so i'm after some recommendations.

I like the style of jazz that is on 'Kind of blue', chilled out and melodic. I don't think i'd like the experimental kind, where there's no real structure and it sounds like random riffing.

So, over to you guys. Do you have any ideas?

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
You could do worse than try Charlie Mingus' Mingus Ah Um. It's not quite as chilled as Kind of Blue (but then very little is), but it's melodic and groovesome.

charles-mingus-ah-um-lg-34638718.jpg

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Simon. I'll get that.

I've been looking at Davis' other releases. 'Bitches Brew' and 'Sketches of Spain' seem to divide opinion. They are either 'Genius', or, they don't work and the people that say they do, only do so to make themselves seem high-brow. So, i'm on the fence with those two.

'In a silent way' seems less divisive. Does anyone have it? Is it good?

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Sketches of Spain is a lovely recording, mostly reimaginings/reinterpretations of Spainish classical and folk pieces. Bitches Brew, on the other hand, is sweaty fusion of the type I think you're trying to avoid. On the Corner falls into this category too.

Of other Miles recordings, I reckon Round About Midnight would suit a Kind of Blue man like yourself.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
bretty:

I've been looking at Davis' other releases. 'Bitches Brew' and 'Sketches of Spain' seem to divide opinion. They are either 'Genius', or, they don't work and the people that say they do, only do so to make themselves seem high-brow. So, i'm on the fence with those two.

I've got "Sketches" and "In A Silent Way".

Sketches is, as the title suggests, based around Rodriguez's Concerto De Aranjuez and other Latin-flavours. I find it a little ponderous, to be honest, and prefer the classical version. I've got it on CD and don't seem to recall it sounding too great, sonically. It's awhile since I listened to it though.

In A Silent Way, is closer to A Kind Of Blue in terms of mood and instrumentation. I really like it, and I'm a complete jazz "novice" too.

Things I've had recommended to me when I've asked the same kind of question, include EST, various other artists on the ACT label (there's a great, and cheap sampler called 30 Years Of. . .or something like that), Stan Tracey, Guy Barker and for voice, Lianne Carroll. There's loads of great stuff out there.

Away from jazz, but in the next door field, as it were, are Steely Dan. Who I'm sure you know, but a lot of people settle for a Best Of, and miss out.

Everything they did from Can't Buy A Thrill(1972) up to Gaucho (1980) is essential. Jazz-flecked, arch, lovely, complexly arranged, smoothly filtered, deadpan pop-rock. Very hifi-friendly too. Too hi-fi friendly, perhaps. After a twenty year gap and a few solo projects, they reconvened with Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go. Not bad, but not from their golden period.

One to avoid or seek out, depending on your taste and levels of curiosity, is Pat Metheny & Ornette Coleman's Song X album from 1983. Unlistenable racket or experimental genius. I always put it on every year to check my reaction. I bought it on vinyl at the time of release, and it's now become my annual litmus test for tolerance of strange sounds. Mostly, I fail.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Thank you, guys.

Amazon didn't have the Mingus you recommended, Simon, so I bought 'Portrait', instead.

Charlie, Thanks for your input. I will get 'In a Silent Way'. I don't have any Steely Dan. Yet.
emotion-1.gif
I'll get on it.

Thanks again, chaps.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi Bretty

Have been trying to find "my" flavour of jazz for the past couple of years, but still a novice!

I found this - clicky - a very good article on getting started on the journey... there's certainly more than a few recommendations in there and elsewhere on that site.

It was also suggested to me by a 2nd-hand record seller once (rightly or wrongly) to explore jazz via "label" rather than artist, which is an interesting way of discovering different artists that have a similar style or sound...

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Margetti,

Thanks, Mate. I've just skimmed the first couple of paragraphs of that article and it looks great. I'll read it tonight, with a bit of Miles in the background.
emotion-1.gif

The label idea sounds interesting too.

margetti

May 29, 2008
Visit site
No worries mate - I had that link saved from a while back - gives some good starting points at the very least.

I have the 50th Anniversary edition of Kind of Blue on CD - long been on the list to get a top drawer edition on vinyl
emotion-1.gif

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:bretty:

I've got "Sketches" and "In A Silent Way".

Sketches is, as the title suggests, based around Rodriguez's Concerto De Aranjuez and other Latin-flavours. I find it a little ponderous, to be honest, and prefer the classical version. I've got it on CD and don't seem to recall it sounding too great, sonically. It's awhile since I listened to it though.

In A Silent Way, is closer to A Kind Of Blue in terms of mood and instrumentation. I really like it, and I'm a complete jazz "novice" too.

Things I've had recommended to me when I've asked the same kind of question, include EST, various other artists on the ACT label (there's a great, and cheap sampler called 30 Years Of. . .or something like that), Stan Tracey, Guy Barker and for voice, Lianne Carroll. There's loads of great stuff out there.

Away from jazz, but in the next door field, as it were, are Steely Dan. Who I'm sure you know, but a lot of people settle for a Best Of, and miss out.

Everything they did from Can't Buy A Thrill(1972) up to Gaucho (1980) is essential. Jazz-flecked, arch, lovely, complexly arranged, smoothly filtered, deadpan pop-rock. Very hifi-friendly too. Too hi-fi friendly, perhaps. After a twenty year gap and a few solo projects, they reconvened with Two Against Nature and Everything Must Go. Not bad, but not from their golden period.

One to avoid or seek out, depending on your taste and levels of curiosity, is Pat Metheny & Ornette Coleman's Song X album from 1983. Unlistenable racket or experimental genius. I always put it on every year to check my reaction. I bought it on vinyl at the time of release, and it's now become my annual litmus test for tolerance of strange sounds. Mostly, I fail.

I've not been a massive jazz fan over the years ( I own Kind of Blue, Sketches, and one or two others on CD) but with the advent of Spotify I've been listening to more and more to broaden my horizons.

Lots to choose from on Spotify, and then if you like something you can investigate the vinyl option if its available. E.S.T. falls under that category. What I've heard really does it for me. Modern 3 piece (Piano/Bass/Drums) jazz. Their "Live in Hamburg" recording is just sensational on Spotify, one can only imagine how good the vinyl could be!

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
bretty:
Hey,

I have one jazz record: Miles Davis 'Kind Of Blue', which I really like and I want to get some more Jazz vinyl. Problem is, I know vilch-o about jazz, so i'm after some recommendations.

I like the style of jazz that is on 'Kind of blue', chilled out and melodic. I don't think i'd like the experimental kind, where there's no real structure and it sounds like random riffing.

So, over to you guys. Do you have any ideas?
Try Dave Brubeck- take five track is just brilliant!

A

Anonymous

Hey Bretty one of my best miles davis records has to be birth of the cool from 1948 his first record if i believe.Another really good jazz album you might dig and is well worth getting is Duke ellington's money jungle lp.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Bretty ,

I'm not really a jazz person myself but I did go through a phase years ago of buying a bit of jazz . I listened to John Coltrane's A Love Supreme for the first time the other night for many years and it was great . The problem is that it is such a vast subject it is difficult to know where to start . I would try out some of the famous names , such as Louis Armstrong and the others that have already been mentioned and see how you get on .

If I were you I'd also try and pick up a few complilation albums to give you a feel for the music and then concentrate more on anything that appeals to you . I heard my favourite piece of jazz , Benny Goodman's "Sing Sing Sing" on just such a compilation . I'd be willing to bet that you'd be familiar with that track as well . Anything with Gene Krupa on drums is also bound to be good .

Nick

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
margetti:
No worries mate - I had that link saved from a while back - gives some good starting points at the very least.

I have the 50th Anniversary edition of Kind of Blue on CD - long been on the list to get a top drawer edition on vinyl
emotion-1.gif

I have the 1962 pressing. I paid £25 for it from the 'Bay. It sounds really good. I, too, have the 50th anniversary on CD, but the vinyl really walks all over it for intimacy.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
That was quick!

I ordered Mingus' 'Portrait' yesterday, and it just turned up. Nice. It's a 1980 Italian pressing. Gatefold 2LP. It was advertised as unplayed, and it looks it. Just gave the first disc a clean (I do this as a matter of course before I play any disc for the first time, even if new. Mainly just cos I like doing it
emotion-1.gif
). Right, let's give it a go.....

A

Anonymous

Have you got "Blue Train" by John Coltrane? It's really good, relaxed and melodic. Most of the tracks have me humming along after a few bars...

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
david87:Have you got "Blue Train" by John Coltrane? It's really good, relaxed and melodic. Most of the tracks have me humming along after a few bars...

I don't. I'll add it to the list. Thanks!

A

Anonymous

Try Joe Pass, Kenny Burrell, Wes Montgomery, all guitarists but should broaden your horizon. Jimmy Smith on hammond organ is also fantastic, he has jammed with a lot of the big names, check him out with George Benson or with Kenny Burrell playing The Organ Grinders Swing, it was used years ago in a Renault Clio ad.

A

Anonymous

Time Out by Brubeck is well worth a listen. I'd also head for Greatest Hits by John Coltrane, Indigos by Duke Ellington, Night Train by Oscar Peterson.

For folks wanting a sample of what's out there, the "Blue Break Beats" series of 4 albums on Blue Note is a good cross section of pretty cooking jazz.

Songs for Swingin Lovers by Sinatra is good, Billy Holiday Lady in Satin also...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts