Jazz neophyte in search of answers

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I've been listening to much "beginner" jazz in the last year or so and recently came across Dave Brubeck's Take Five. I knew the piano figure well enough from way back when but I'd never heard the full studio version.

Is it sacrilege to say I love it when the sax stops it's tootling and the drums ride a crazy surf of rhythm to the fore. The interplay between drums, piano and bass is transfixing and deliriously addictive. An epiphanic moment! I don't get out much these days.

I'm trying to imagine the equivalent "rock" revelation. Like a similarly aged person extolling the virtues of this great track they've only just heard called Stairway To Heaven or Bohemian Rhapsody.

Where next then from Take Five?

T

the record spot

Another jazz one to consider would be John Coltrane (his "Coltrane" album is genius) or Charles Mingus "Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus" album. Miles Davis' "Bitches Brew" or "The Birth of the Cool" need to be on the shopping list. Or just go to Spotify!

In rock, when you're at that level, we're talking a handful of albums, if that - Bob Dylan's "Blonde On Blonde", The Beatles "Sgt. Pepper", The Stones' "Let It Bleed", maybe Led Zep "II"...everything else falls into League 1 and below after that for me.

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
'Bitches Brew' might be a bit hardcore for a self-confessed neophyte - perhaps 'Kind of Blue' might be a less intimidating introduction to Miles. Mingus is a great suggestion - I'm particularly fond of 'Mingus Ah Um'.
In rock terms, maybe it's a first listen to 'Anarchy in the UK' or 'John I'm Only Dancing'.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, a good Brubeck compilation would be a start. If you like Take Five, I think you'll enjoy Unsquare Dance and Blue Rondo a la Turk.

Either of the below would be a good way in. This is a single-disc compilation

41RCGS2RG1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

while this one is a two-disc, containing some tracks from the classic Carnegie Hall live set

41pX6cLMVaL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

After that, I guess some Miles Davis would suit. Try Kind of Blue

41sXPISG4oL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

or Sketches of Spain

51Xzn2wfR4L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

I've got a minor slew of Miles - Kind of Blue, Sketches, In A Silent Way, Porgy & Bess - and really enjoy them.

Never encountered any Mingus and only a smattering of Coltrane so will investigate accordingly.

Love the sleeves, Andrew. Nice vinyl editions would be pleasing. The Essential Brubeck is the very disc that kick started this latest foray. My Dad brought it back from a recent trip to Oz. Preferable to another Kanga-in-a-can, which is what I brought back for someone recently.

Sonically, I was smitten by Take Five. It sounds so much more textured and fulsome than many of the others on disc 2. Keep repeating that song, then jumping to Moz's acidic Years Of Refusal, and back to Take Five but will endeavour to explore more of the Brubeck disc.

ALTANPSX

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
Best pianist of the Jazzfor me is Bill Evans, I think you should listen

Bill Evan's Trio - Portrait in Jazz (The best Autumn Leaves you may listen)

Also you should listen "Charles Mingus ah uh" first If you are going to listen Charles Mingus.

Kind of Blue is an interesting album. Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Bill Evans they all together.....

Best Take Five version for me is "We're all togehther again for the first time" (Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond ....)

A

Anonymous

http://www.classiclps.co.uk/

They have a fairly good selection of heavyweight vinyl editions.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts