Jamo C405 speakers and Marantz PM6002 amplifier

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Marantz cd5001, marantz pm6002 45WPC, Jamo C405 floorstanders 140WPC/6Ohms, straightwire interconnect and speaker cables.

This system is only a month old. I was not well informed in this subject when i made my purchase. However I am now somewhat concened after learning that small powered amplifiers could damage speakers of higher wattage if driven hard. The amp plays well upto 2 O clock position - a level which i normally do not use as i do not go beyond 12 O clock position occassionally and stay at 10 O clock position for most time. i would like a feedback

1. are C 405s too big for pm6002 ? 2.what volume level can i consider safe? 3. Does full bass on, full treble on with loudness on at 9 O clock level a damaging proposition for the speakers? Are C405s known to get better with use ?

A

Anonymous

Where did you buy your system and what was the view of the staff in the shop? Or did you choose it based on magazine reviews etc?

I doubt you are doing you speakers any damage at the "normal listening" settings you mention. BTW the position of the control knob does not really tell you much as it depends how the amplifier is designed. That is to say the volume control might have a far from linear response. In fact I think most of them have a logerithmic response.

A

Anonymous

I think your Jamo's are an 'overkill' for your cd and amp and I wonder if your ROI is worth the cost. I personally doubt it. For your cd/amp. the MA BR2's would suffice or if you want to do better, the B&W 685 (IMO)

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Delighted to see your responses to my first posting ever. your feedback is assuring, i'd continue using the 405 in the normal listening levels. i am wiser now and agree that these jamos are"overkill" and better options existed ( a fact i have to live with now) I went after floorstanders because i (perhaps mistakenly) thought bass depth wouldn't be there. fyi i had sampled pm6002 with an unknown klipsch 100WPC floorstanders and it sounded very good and much before this i had heard jamos on demo with pm7001 and sherwood amps - i am guilty of putting cart before the horse - bought my speakers before i decided on suitable amp.

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for your feedback

I purchased my system in Chennai, -cd5001 - jan 2008 / pm6002- jun 2008 from the same shop -Audio People. Jamos from Cinebell in Chennai. Jamos sounded very convincing, sounded powerful with pm 7001 but i could not decide on pm7001 immediately. i was impressed with pm7001/C405 when compared with onkyo/elac combination elsewhere. Much later i had a chance to listen to pm6002 and it sounded better than pm 7001 in fact better than all amps i had ever auditioned so i got my self one. the sound is refined and soothing though i'm yet to forgive myself the way i went around setting up my system. after purcasing jamos i tried to find in the internet and other sources of any review on jamo c 405 and surprisingly this seems a very anonymous entity - did not find anything anywhere. So i'm still asking myself if i made a mistake in not selecting BR5 at approx GBP 380 equivalent

A

Anonymous

Hey.. I too have the Jamo 405.. and am planning to get a Denon 2313 soon. Hope they go well. i see you are in Chennai; can we talk.. ? just wanted to get some reviews. i can be reached at 9500077535

Goldsmith said:
Marantz cd5001, marantz pm6002 45WPC, Jamo C405 floorstanders 140WPC/6Ohms, straightwire interconnect and speaker cables.

This system is only a month old. I was not well informed in this subject when i made my purchase. However I am now somewhat concened after learning that small powered amplifiers could damage speakers of higher wattage if driven hard. The amp plays well upto 2 O clock position - a level which i normally do not use as i do not go beyond 12 O clock position occassionally and stay at 10 O clock position for most time. i would like a feedback

1. are C 405s too big for pm6002 ? 2.what volume level can i consider safe? 3. Does full bass on, full treble on with loudness on at 9 O clock level a damaging proposition for the speakers? Are C405s known to get better with use ?

The first thing you need to listen out for is when the sounds starts to change tone. This usually means that 'clipping' or distortion will occur if cranked any louder.

When I had a 40 watt amp playing thru RS6s I never needed to crank it anymore than about 10 o'clock on the dial.

In some instances - ones I've read and not heard - the amp can cut out altogether.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/marantz-pm6300-cut-out

Quality speakers, ideally, need to be driven properly to prevent damage. Okay at idling - medium levels, but the risk will always be a constant if pushed harder.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts