Issues with upgrading Sony DAV-DZ630 receiver (to STR-DG820?)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So I finally persuaded my wife that we needed to upgrade our TV last Christmas (from a big old CRT to Sony 32W4000). Mainly this successful negotiation was simply down to my continual and incessant whining, but it was also because I managed to convince her that with a bit of extra kit we could take out the need for four different remotes (built-in freesat / Bravia Link) and therefore simplify the procedure of watching, say, freesat without the sound coming from DVD player, etc.

We got the TV and a Sony DAV-DZ630 all-in-one for a good price from amazon and all seemed well. However, it became immediately obvious that the DAV-DZ630 was massively lacking in connections for doing anything other than playing DVDs. Since there is no digital optical input to the DAV-DZ630 (this seems unbelievable to me), trying to use the receiver for our recently acquired Sky HD and other stuff (Xbox 360, Wii, etc.) has left me once again with a horrible work-around system of various cables and remotes.

So, I'm thinking of adding a new (and dedicated) AV-receiver to sort all this out - the Sony STR-DG820 has a good review on this site and it is currently going for what seems a good price on Richer Sounds (£230). I'm on a tight budget so I'm obviously interested in reusing as much kit as I can for the moment and maybe look into upgrading in the future.

Some questions that I would be very greatful to have some help with:

[*]Am I likely to have any problems simply plugging the existing 5.1 speakers (center, bass, floorstanding front/rear rated as 3ohms from the DAV-DZ630) into the new receiver?
[*]Is there an update on the issues with Sony receivers and SKY HD HDMI/optical (http://community.whathifi.com/forums/22/115496/ShowThread.aspx - last post Feb 2009) - obviously this is less relevant if I have a receiver with the option of an optical input, but still...[*]Would there be any issues (e.g. with Bravia Link) using the DAV-DZ630 as simply a glorified DVD player? I would use the Xbox 360 instead but it makes way too much noise.

Thanks in advance

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not all good news, I'm afraid, as systems such as the DZ series are really designed as a complete all-in-one solution, not with an eye to future integration into more complex set-ups. Hence that lack of an optical digital output.

So...

1) I think the Sony receiver may well struggle with the low impedance of the system speakers, while the system's amp is designed for them. You have the additional problem of this system having a passive subwoofer, IIRC, which is driven by internal amplification in the main unit, whereas the 820 receiver will only work with a powered subwoofer - ie one with an amplifier built-in, and has no facility for driving a passive sub.
You'd do better to consider buying a budget speaker package to use with the 820, and maybe selling the Sony all-in-one privately.

2) The Sky+ HD problem on the 820 (and a few other products) meant you couldn't override the HDMI audio input to allow sound from an optical digital feed to be heard while the receiver was passing pictures from HDMI from your Sky+ HD box to the TV. And of course, Sky+ HD only outputs stereo over the HDMI, with Dolby Digital surround only available on the digital output socket(s). So provided the 820 you buy has been to the Sony vet and been 'fixed', you'll have no problems using HDMI for the video from Sky+ HD and an optical digital connection.

3) Not sure how you could use the system head unit simply as a DVD player, and still get surround sound through the receiver. I'm not sure what the sound output on the HDMI out normally used to connect to the TV is, but I suspect it may only be stereo, and is unlikely to be a Dolby Digital/DTS-capable bitstream into which the Sony receiver could get its teeth. Once again, the system is designed to do all its decoding/processing/amplification internally, not feed out to an offboard surround processor/amp.

3a) Regarding the Bravia Link/Sync operation, I'm not sure, but I suspect things could get somewhat confused between the system. receiver and TV if they were all connected, simply because you would effectively have two 'receivers' in the chain, and there could be some electronic power struggles for control of the system.
It might work, but I suspect not as seamlessly as you hope - you'd be better off adding a dedicated Sony DVD player (or even a bargain last-generation Blu-ray Disc machine) for the kind of seamless operation your require.

A

Anonymous

sillit:

Mainly this successful negotiation was simply down to my continual and incessant whining,

My wife uses that technique!
emotion-21.gif

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Brian123:sillit:

Mainly this successful negotiation was simply down to my continual and incessant whining,

My wife uses that technique!
emotion-21.gif

Hi,

Been there, done that, got the black eye. I now just buy it and accept the black eye anyway.

21 years of marital bliss...everytime a new handbag or shoes are bought, the same amount is used towards the next HC purchase.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for such a prompt and helpful reply - I really wish I had come across this site before I decided on the DZ630 in the first place (I notice your review mentions the lack of optical digital input straight away). I guess this really serves me right for going for the seemingly easy option without doing my homework (I really won't be buying something like an amp on amazon without being able to look at the connects on the back panel).

One of the things I did like about that speaker package were the floor standing units as it makes my life much easier than drilling wall mounted speakers (just the way the room is laid out more than anything else). Having a look around this site, the only speaker packages that I would realistically have the budget to buy would be the Jamo-A102 (5 star, £250). If I need to buy a decent DVD player as well (perhaps by cranking up the whining and swapping the Xbox 360 for a relatively quiet PS3 / Blu-ray) then even those speakers might be pushing the budget.

Have I messed anything else? Do you have a budget section for the "married with kids, shouldn't really be indulging but still need our gadget fix" amongst us? If not, could you reccommend any other speaker packages (or any tips in what to look out for?)
Thanks again

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I've been championing this Onkyo unit for a while now since someone brought my attention to it. It's only 2.1 out of the box, but this extra pack expands it out to 5.1 and can be bought at a later date when funds arrive. I know it's not got floorstanders, but I don't think you'll find this outside of the all-in-one units I'm afraid. As you can see, connections are good, it even has an HDMI input and onboard HD audio decoding which future proofs you for any Blu-Ray player you may get in the future.

The only thing is, I haven't heard it personally, but from what I've heard from others (such as in this post), it provides an excellent sound for the money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts