Is this a Paperweight or Potential Bargain??

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently looking at a Sony STR-DA2400ES on the bay which is listed as for spares/repair (its very local to where i live otherwise I wouldnt even consider it).

The fault is described as follows

"the display lights up but there is no sound from any of the audio channels including the headphone socket. When you turn the volume control the change in volume is shown on the front panel display. I have connected it to a TV and and the on-screen display shows on the TV and it will route video (via HDMI) from a bluray player through the amplifier and to the TV - so this part is working."

The big question - is this machine likely to be repairable and if so whats the damage gonna be to my wallet??

Cheers in advance for any responses

Paul.

Doing a search for that amp on eBay with completed listings switched on, the Amp sells working for £130-£160. Even if the damaged amp was free, I would be supprised if you can fix it for less than £130.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Cheers for the quick reply Paul.

My impatient magpie side is urging me to take a punt but my cautious side is shouting very loudly that I've got two relatives birthday presents, a holiday and a league cup final ticket (COME ON YOU SWANS :pray: ) to pay for in the next 3 weeks.

My original April target is looking more sensible

A

Anonymous

Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole mate. I have owned both an STR DA5400ES and 5500ES, both developed faults within a year, and these were supposed to be high end units. Sony service left a lot to be desired as well.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've had a 2400es for 4-5 years (I think), and it hasn't given me a bit of trouble.

They're very good amps, and a bargain at the price they're selling for on ebay, so I certainly wouldn't be buying a faulty one if I was you.

I spoke to an electrician the other day about looking at my old Cambridge integrated amp, and he said that amps can be difficult to repair, as there are so many things that could be causing the problem.

Maybe you could look at a 1200es instead, good working models are selling for less than a £100, and they're not that far short of the 2400es performance wise.

A

Anonymous

Your choice mate, but even if you can find a healthy Sony amp I would give it a miss. Having owned Sonys in the past, I have found my current Pioneer amp to be way superior in terms of sound quality, attack, dynamics, surround steering and musical ability.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Cheers for the input both. 8)

I'm with BigBernard on this one though, this is going to be my first foray into AV Receivers, have owned dozens of Sony audio products over the last 20+ years and have yet to own a Sony product that has disappointed me (mainly because they were carefully chosen in the first place!). Given my limited budget and specific feature requirements the two Sony models I have been watching on ebay fit the bill very nicely. Whilst I would love to (eventually) own a high end Pioneer they are simply out of reach.

The hunt is on hold for now, and once I get these few expensive weeks out of the way the hunt will resume :dance:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

drichardb said:
The hunt is on hold for now, and once I get these few expensive weeks out of the way the hunt will resume :dance:

Let me know when your hunt resumes, mine might be available then.
wink.gif

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hey Ric, there's a lot of 1200ES' on the bay, right now, as well as a couple of 2400ES and a 5200ES. The fact that theres a lot of the 1200s on there should keep the prices reasonable. Just givin a heads up :)

Paul.

Since recommending your own kit seems to be the done thing around here.... ( I kid ;) )

Onkyo 805 can be had for as low as £120 on eBay on collection. Brutishly powerful, love mine. Not the most refined for music though, but very well spec'd.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Cheers Both,

My itchy trigger finger is proving very hard to resist and if I succumb to temptation I'm going to land myself in some very hot water.

I had been considering some of the larger old Onkyo's but I've seen precious few available in South Wales and the ones available for delivery tend to achieve higher prices than I'm willing to pay.

Must....resist....the...bid button

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Just thought it might be of interest.

5400ES going on ebay at mo for 100 quid.

Collection only if I remember correctly but you might live near ?

I own one and its been superb - not one fault and had it a fair few years now.

And no its not mine !!! Highly recommended despite the above negativity.

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I've had to stop looking at ebay as its killing me every time I look - So many nice shiny amps to bid on but I can't afford to pull the trigger...

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hey matey,

Not trying to bug you, BUT, if you are still thinking bout getting the new amp, theres a 1200ES for £75 on the 'Bay, right now. That's a Buy It Now price, too. It's only the second time i've seen one for less than £100 in six months. Snap it up, if you can!

HERE IT IS

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts