Is this a good deal or just old gear?

wirelesskiwi

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
So I called into the local Hong Kong B&W dealer to have another listen to the 685's S2.

It turns out they are having a bit of a xmas old model sale.

This seems like a ridicously good deal to me but what do you think?

Rotel RA1520 amp + B&W 685's S1 for $6380 HKD (approx 545 GBP).

I know this is a little dated for an amp compared to the newer Rotel, Marantz and Cambridge amps. But it does seem very very good at that price for amp plus speakers, any thoughts?

I am thinking to hook this up to an apple TV via optical to a Audioengine D1 DAC and the stream the audio via itunes (apple loseless) or spotify to it and then to the Rotel via Aux RCA input. (I will get a turntable later)

Thanks

Kefref

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Rotel amp is worth £700 new, the speakers I believe were around £400 new

Sounds like a good deal to me, but only your ears will know if they are for you, take in some of your music and audition them again. If the hairs stand up on the back of your neck you have a winner :)

wirelesskiwi

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Of the 685 s2. But have never heard the s1 version or the ra1520 powering them. The price and saving looks pretty good. I think I will have to head back tomorrow and get them to hook them up for a listen. As you say if it sounds right it looks a steal at the price!

Kefref

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site
Thats your best bet, independantly they are both good, whether they sound good together will be something your lugs will be able to decide.

That rotel amp is a 5* winner, sure if the b&w's dont sound good enough they might have another pair that will :)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
It is always best buying old stock.

For the money, it's a no-brainer. Personally I don't like the B&Ws but they are well regarded.

It is "just old gear" too. Of course supply and demand, most people want the latest stuff.

I bought some trainers (for running) a few months ago, same model, old colour which nobody wanted anymore. People are funny.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
That pairing just may sound stunning.

I had a ra-1520 it's an assertive amp on revealing speakers it'll be fatigueing but with more modest speakers my guess it'll sound just right. Very clean detailed and will go loud.

Looks like the dealers have been doing their homework and mixing and matching kit.

The amp is still going for £500 on eBay, gumtree etc.

Worth hearing.... Let us know how you get on.

wirelesskiwi

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Today,

Unfortunately if I don;t like the combo that is the only deal. It is being sold as a package the 685's and the 1520.

But so far all bodes well

wirelesskiwi

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Is yes they are old models but the units I purchase would be brand new (not floor models or 2nd hand).

The only issue I have is the lack of connectivity with the RA1520. would it have the input to hook up a network player in the future? Say a Rotel or maybe the Bluesound Node?

I probably will never have the cash to but somehting new again like this but it would be nice to expand at some stage.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
That ra-1520 does have a decent compliment of anolog inputs including a TT .

You''ll need a seperate DAC for digital inputs like optical, USB etc.

It does have a mini jack input on the front. Alternatively you can get a mini jack to RCA lead to connect your tablet or PC.

Pretty hit and miss though depending on device.

Curious to hear what you think.

wirelesskiwi

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I had a listen this eveing and decided to go for it!
It really is to good a deal to pass up at this price (the only have one package available).
Plus it really does sound brilliant!

Gets delivered this weekend.

Set up will be: Rotel RA1520 (silver) + B&W 685 S1 (white) + Audio Engine D1 DAC connected to Spotify Premium or iTunes (Apple lossless) via Apple TV.

I am a happy lad! Just can't wait for Saturday!

Thanks for eveyones advice and I will report back after everything is fully broken in.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Nervous times, the ra-1520 sounds good out the box, the speakers I'm not familiar with.

Hopefully it'll be all good and it's just a case of things bedding in and you getting used to the sound.

Enjoy.

wirelesskiwi said:
I had a listen this eveing and decided to go for it!It really is to good a deal to pass up at this price (the only have one package available).Plus it really does sound brilliant!

Gets delivered this weekend.

Set up will be: Rotel RA1520 (silver) + B&W 685 S1 (white) + Audio Engine D1 DAC connected to Spotify Premium or iTunes (Apple lossless) via Apple TV.

I am a happy lad! Just can't wait for Saturday!

Thanks for eveyones advice and I will report back after everything is fully broken in.

wirelesskiwi

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
It sounds fantastic...From someone who has always had audio generally from the inbuilt imac speakers of a small set of bluetooth speakers this is ridiculously better.

I am a happy happy lad. I can also vouch for the fact that Rotel + B&W's are a great combo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts