Is there an AV amp capable of playing music as well as say a Naim Nait 5i?

SimpleSImonSays

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I've downsized my big old house to a small flat. So sadly I also need to downsize my hifi. :cry: Used to run a Naim 112 pre, and 150x power, CD5, PMC GB1i. But sold it all last year to fund other projects.

I'm looking for an AV amp that will be great at music, so I don't have to have two hifis and keep unplugging speakers each time I want to switch between music and movies.

Music wise it has to be up there with a basic Nait 5i at least - i.e. detail, musical drive, clarity, presence etc. etc. etc.

For AV I'm currently using my ancient Sony STR930 QS 5.1 AMP, which fails terribly at music. However, it's performance is acceptable for a movie 5.1 sound.

So I need something that combines the musicality of my old naim, and offers 5.1 surround. Oooh also need an optical input for apple tv. I don't mind a minor downgrade in sound, such as to a Nait 5i, but I wouldn't want to go any lower down the chain.

No idea of budget at this point. I know I can't afford a Naim 5.1 system though!

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

S

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Try the Yamaha RX-A1020 rrp £1000 but is now getting good discounts on it. check online prices then see if your local hifi dealer will match it or compromise.

Don't know your musical taste or your speakers but this amp sounds 'nice' - I recently bought one to replace a stereo amp and it does alot of things really well in stereo - its not an attacking/assertive sound though if thats your preference try the Pioneer lx-56.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts