Is there a Rotel RCD-965BX Mk2?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have been looking at getting a rotel rcd-956bx for a little while now and was wondering if there is a such thing as a mk2 model? Someone is selling 1 and is advertising it as having upgraded circuit board and components but I can find anything online about this.

Im sure someone on here must now the answer to this?

Thanks

matthewpiano

From memory there was three models:

RCD-965BX

RCD-965BX Discrete

RCD-965BX LE Discrete

My memory might be failing me but I'm pretty sure it went something like that and that, generally the original is considered to be the best.

A

Anonymous

I had a feeling yourself or Rick would have the answer :clap:

I think I was looking at the rcd-965bx discrete. So I guess it would be better to go for the original not discrete version?

matthewpiano

Well, I'm more familiar with the original, but I recall Rick saying something other day in relation to these versions of the '965 along the lines of 'If it ain't broke...'. He will certainly be able to advise you and I'd be very surprised if her doesn't chip in with this thread as a big fan of the Rotel.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Or save a few more pennies and get yourself a second-hand Rotel RCD-991. Then you'll have yourself an absolute beast of a CDP! Mitch can back me up on this one, right matey?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty said:
Or save a few more pennies and get yourself a second-hand Rotel RCD-991. Then you'll have yourself an absolute beast of a CDP! Mitch can back me up on this one, right matey?

You couldn't help youself, could you Bretty.. :roll: .......I am again reminded of the one player I should have known better than to sell. :wall: :) :)

EDIT: The problem with the RCD-991 is that they are hard to get hold of but if you do find one...... :dance:

A

Anonymous

They really must be hard to come by, had a look on eBay and there are none for sale or showing in the completed listings. I will definitely keep an eye on these. Any ideas what I should expect to pay for a mint example?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

I have had the discrete. It doesn't use opamps in the output . Most likely build upon the great succes of the standard version. Cannot tell if there is a big difference, but it is a nice machine to modify!

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Mohsin said:
They really must be hard to come by, had a look on eBay and there are none for sale or showing in the completed listings. I will definitely keep an eye on these. Any ideas what I should expect to pay for a mint example?

Thanks

Mine's mint and I paid £400, but to be honest I probably paid a little over the odds, because I bought it from a retail outlet (Steve's hifi, which sadly isn't trading anymore). Realistically, you should pay between £280 - £350 for a minter. Keep your eye open and if one does pop up, grab it without thinking twice.

If you chuck 'Rotel RCD-991 review' into google, you'll see how glowing all the reviews were. Andrew Everard, who used to be a mod here, wrote a great review for Gramophone magazine, which comes up in the google search results (it's the first result actually, I think).

Hi Mohsin

I would recommend the original RCD-965BX over all the other Rotel cd players mentioned in this thread. The RCD-965BX doesn't highlight the presentation but instead the RCD-965BX has flow with finely judged depth which adds to the overall naturalness of the sound :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks Rick, and now my hunt begins to try and source a mint 965.

Juzzie Wuzzie

Ironically, I have one, but it is in New Zealand - hasn't been used since 2002. Assume it has survived earthquakes, etc. With such glowing comments, I might get bring it back to London next year and hook it up to the Naim.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts