IS THERE A MAJOR DIFFERENCE BETWEEN DOLBY DIGITAL AND DTS/DOLBY-HD FORMATS?

mannisrai

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I HAVE THE JBL SB400 WHICH IS A 2.1 SOUNDBAR, WHICH IS ONLY £450 RRP; AND EVEN I CAN SEE A SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE.

WHEN I PLAY A DVD/BLU-RAY WITH DOLBY DIGITAL, THE EXPERIENCE IS JUST NORMAL. NOTHING SPECIAL, BUT NOT BAD. THE QUALITY IS DECENT ENOUGH TO LISTEN TO BUT DOESN’T AMAZE ME.

WHEN I PLAY THE LOSSLESS FORMATS LIKE DTS-HD AND DOLBYTRUEHD, THEN EVERYTHING COMES ALIVE. EVEN THOUGH I HAVE A 2.1 SOUNDBAR, I GET TONS MORE DETAIL, A MORE REALISTIC SURROUND SOUND EXPERIENCE, LESS OR NO DISTORTION AT HIGH VOLUMES, DIALOGUE IS MUCH MORE CRISP, AND THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE IS MUCH MORE IMMERSIVE AND CLEAN. IT’S JUST FANTASTIC. SO THE HD FORMATS DEFINITLY DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE FOR ME EVEN IF YOU GET A SOUNDBAR WHICH IS BASICALLY ONE SPEAKER IF YOU REALLY THINK ABOUT IT! DTS-HD ALL THE WAY!

I WANT TO KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK?! DO YOU HEAR AN AUDIBLE/SIGNIFICANT DIFFERENCE OR AM I JUST THINKING IT?

THIS ISN’T A PROBLEM; JUST WANT YOUR GUYS VIEWS, JUST A BIT OF FUN! :D

SORRY THIS IS IN CAPTIALS; I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHY…I’M NOT SHOUTING LOL.

abacus

Dolby Digital and DTS use a compressed (Lossey) sound format to allow the soundtrack to fit on the DVD.

Blu-Ray has a much higher capacity storage therefore the soundtrack can be included in an uncompressed (Or just small compression) format (Hence the HD on the end of Dolby Digital & DTS) which includes a 24 bit format, and this is why they sound better.

Note: the new formats can help the quality of sound from older formats (Just like most HD TVs can upscale SD video) but you need a genuine HD soundtrack for the best quality sound.

Hope this clears up the confusion.

Bill

BTW Just press the Caps Lock button on the keyboard to turn upper case (Capitals) off.

mannisrai

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I know what they are! thanks

and yes, i know how to turn off the caps lock button - i've done it havent i?! i just started typing in it and then couldnt be bothered to retype it all again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts