Is The Marantz PM 6005 An Upgrade Over The PM 6003

sureesh40

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I purchased the Marantz PM6003 integrated amp a few years ago. I am thinking of buying the new PM6005 amp. Would this be an upgrade. Is the sound quality any better?

I am more concerned with sound quality rather than features and functions.

I understand the PM6005 has a DAC to play computer music. I may not need a such a feature. So if I bought the PM6005 would I be paying for something I do not need. I am using MA BX2 speakers.

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi sureesh40

For a worthwhile upgrade look at a NAD C370 or a Rotel RA-1062.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Dear Rick.

Please don't take this the wrong way but the OP is asking a specific question of whether the 6005 is a worthwhile upgrade over the 6003. He isn't asking "The 6005 over the 6003? or suggest alternatives?". I'm assuming he's looking for new or near new at around that budget, hence the 6005. Don't think that Rotel falls into that catagory, given it was taken out of production around 10-years ago.

I've largely kept my distance from your predictable responses since I read the sad passing of your father.

sureesh40 said:
Hi

I purchased the Marantz PM6003 integrated amp a few years ago. I am thinking of buying the new PM6005 amp. Would this be an upgrade. Is the sound quality any better?

I am more concerned with sound quality rather than features and functions.

I understand the PM6005 has a DAC to play computer music. I may not need a such a feature. So if I bought the PM6005 would I be paying for something I do not need. I am using MA BX2 speakers.

From personal experience of budget amps I would think the 6005 would exhibit subtle rather than wholesale differences. Think you'll need to source a dealer and listen to one at first hand and decide whether it's worth it.

What's your max budget?

sureesh40

May 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi

I am flexible with the budget. The Marantz PM 6005 sells for $450 where I am in Singapore.

If it is not a good upgrade to the PM6003, then I would probably go for the Rega Brior R.

Which retails for $1,100 or so here. But this would be the max I would spend on the amp $1,100

I thought of the exposure 1010 amp but understand that it does not have a phono stage.

Would the Rega Brior-R be a good match for Monitor Audio BX2 speakers. It is like the amp is twice the price of the speakers.

sureesh40 said:
Hi

I am flexible with the budget. The Marantz PM 6005 sells for $450 where I am in Singapore.

If it is not a good upgrade to the PM6003, then I would probably go for the Rega Brior R.

Which retails for $1,100 or so here. But this would be the max I would spend on the amp $1,100

I thought of the exposure 1010 amp but understand that it does not have a phono stage.

Would the Rega Brior-R be a good match for Monitor Audio BX2 speakers. It is like the amp is twice the price of the speakers.

The Rega and the Exposure should be a decent upgrade to your 6003. I would also look at Arcam, Creek (if available) and midrange Marantz, such as the Pearl lite or 8005.

I wouls also listen to better speakers with your 6003, with the likes of Dali, MA Silver range, Focal, Wharfedale...

Hi plastic penguin

No harm in recommending him alternatives as he has subsequenlty shown he is also willing to look at (be it at higher prices). Around the price of the 6005 i have recommended two amplifiers which (although discontinued) i feel will offer him a WORTHWHILE upgrade rather then being minor (as you've also stated).

There is no benefit to us at all by highlighting/recommending the C370 and the RA-1062 as we don't support these brands and nor do we deal with discontinued products.

Interesting to note that you singled out the RA-1062 as let's face it is something which you've had your nose out of joint now for many years. My dad aside your response was predictable
thumbs_up.gif

Btw, hopefully Happy Feet 3 will be out soon as i am sure it'll cheer you up *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
Hi plastic penguin

No harm in recommending him alternatives as he has subsequenlty shown he is also willing to look at (be it at higher prices). Around the price of the 6005 i have recommended two amplifiers which (although discontinued) i feel will offer him a WORTHWHILE upgrade rather then being minor (as you've also stated).

There is no benefit to us at all by highlighting/recommending the C370 and the RA-1062 as we don't support these brands and nor do we deal with discontinued products.

Interesting to note that you singled out the RA-1062 as let's face it is something which you've had your nose out of joint now for many years. My dad aside your response was predictable

Btw, hopefully Happy Feet 3 will be out soon as i am sure it'll cheer you up *biggrin*

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Yes it is subsequent to your original post. I've heard a number of the Rotel 10 series, which I'm sure included the 1062, and I like Rotels generally so your constant recommendations doesn't put my nose out of joint, it puzzles me why you keep banging on about an amp that's hard to buy -- they are pretty rare compared to older Cyruses, Arcams, Marantzes etc etc.

As you work in the trade I'm suprised you don't recommend a product that's more attainable.

As regards your reference Happy Feet 3 that wasn't necessary. I know it was probably tongue-in-cheek, but I was questioning why your response wasn't more productive for a poster looking for genuine advice. It is people like you and David who have to set the benchmark for mere mortals like us who have to judge your sincerity when deciding to upgrade our systems.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Improvements:

1) Integrated DAC

2) Discrete phono stage, no IC chips.

3) Higher SNR (6003 - 87dB vs 6005 - 102dB)

Possible drawbacks:

Power stage and power supply are basically the same. They did some fine tuning, nothing spectacular. 45W p/c in 8 ohms, 60W p/c in 4 ohms, 100 damping factor, all remain the same in both amps spec sheet.

Of course the added power consumers (discrete phono and DAC) leech on the transformer, which remained the same (I think), but it might have enough headroom not to be bothered by it. If they bumped the transformer by extra 50VA on the new 6005, that should do the trick and keep things even.

Hi plastic penguin

And yet some have sooner or later bought an RA-1062. I don't mind you recommending older products as many times as you like. To think i was going to recommend used Ongaku amplifier (before you go off on one not in this thread). On second thought i'll play it safe and definitely wait for Happy Feet 3 to come out before doing so *biggrin* Come on Warner get a move on please
thumbs_up.gif

Btw, interesting to see you bring up sincerity when i've only bought to attention brands/products which don't benefit us at all.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts