Is the mag getting smaller?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

It seems like the last two issues have got much thinner, has anyone else experienced this? Cheers

D

Deleted member 2457

Xanderzdad said:
Certainly seemed a lot quicker to read.

Not sure if I'm going to renew my subscription..

Yep, I am sure we are missing pages - not good!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
It's true, the pagination does vary from month to month, but at 172 pages the February issue is no smaller than usual for this time of year. We increase the number of pages later in the year when the new product ranges come on stream, and in the run-up to the Awards in October.

D

Deleted member 2457

Cheers. What about missing previous content then, like forum question feedback?

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Good point Gel. Think whf could do some market research for what we want? I liked the 'man in the street' tests (forget its name). I have subscribed for years but seem to find less to read. Most.would be willing to share their thoughts I recon.

mykspence

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Xanderzdad said:
Certainly seemed a lot quicker to read.

Not sure if I'm going to renew my subscription..

The huge amount of common content each month was the main reason that I didn't renew, secondly, anything 'new' was already old news on the internet.

D

Deleted member 2457

chrisr1718 said:
gel said:
Cheers. What about missing previous content then, like forum question feedback?

Good shout. :clap:

I like that and I used to enjoy The Big Question, could bring that back as well. I'm up for a visit to WHF Towers. :)

Yep, same here. I am now at a lost to know whether to renew my subscription, too much stuff has now disappeared for me. Still early days because I have only just renewed but it isn't looking good at the moment.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I'd second all the above.

Also 172 pages in the magazine does not equate to 172 of readable material - I do not include the adverts or buyers guide.
I am only really interested in the actual articles and miss the forum questions, Big Question etc.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback everyone, always welcome. We haven't abandoned Sound Advice, it's just that every issue it's a juggling act between allocating the pages to make sure we can get as many product tests/Group Tests in as we can and accommodate all the advertising (and yes, we do have to make a profit!).

With the growth of the website it's inevitable that more content will go online first, so we are constantly looking at ways to improve the magazine. Whatever we do, we won't please everyone all of the time.

Re The Big Question, I know it was popular but the problem for us was that we increasingly found it difficult to get people to take part, or they'd agree to and then not show up on the day which was a nightmare from a scheduling point of view.

D

Deleted member 2457

Thanks for the feedback Andy. :cheers: System builders was a great feature too, and WHF mags on just TVs and home cinema as special one-offs were always good too.

minesapint

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Having just seen the news item publicising the print magazine being available I was about to post a similar thread. I have been buying the mag every month for 20+ years but last month yet another TV and tablet group test decided to stop. I'm just not interested in TV's, tablets, phones, docks or USB cables. My interest is all things music and hi-fi so today's a milestone, new edition out on the shelf but I'm going to pass for the first time.

iamthegruffalo

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I have read the mag for many years but ceased subscription due to repitition, loss of features and frankly I can read it here or elsewhere on the net.

I used to be thrilled when it dropped through the door but looking though this latest edition in the high street, I was stunned at just how it recycles certain tech type reviews by month.

This is an age of enormous overlapping tech type products, yet you seem to review the same manufacturers and equipments.

Still love the site though

So not pure moan-a-thon

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
To be honest WHF has gone down hill... like the above says, way to many repeat reviews, nearly everything is online anyway before the mag has it.

This used to be a top mag, I even remember when you could not get through on the help line, your lucky if you even get an answer here now, why would you spend nearly £5 on a mag when it is on-line...sorry but things do change and for me even the forums are not what they used to be, it pains me to say this but AV-Forums have nailed it with all the tech news good reviews, classifieds pretty much everything you want in the tech world.

Unfortunatly its like most things now money money...and if you dont invest or keep up with the others then it will have an effect..for what its worth and I am pretty sure it will come sooner rather than later, get rid of the mag,, and have evrything on-line, yes I know easy for me to say..its not my money, but its not rocket science...its nothing personal but its just not what it used to be anymore, and if the truth be known others feel the same.

lxd55

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
I echo a lot of the feedback listed so far.

I am a subscriber (digital) and will continue to subscribe, since I believe that what hifi is not just the mag it is the site as well. If subscriptions drop then I assume it means the website will take a hit also, so my view is I am paying for more than just the mag and happy to do so.

I also would like to see return of big questions. Maybe when people are invited to attend then there are a few big question topics done at the same time to mitigate attendance and scheduling risks? Being down saauth is an issue re travel for us readers up north, but maybe you take some of the smaller tests on the road.

System builder also was a great topic sadly missed, as well as the article in which a what hi expert would assist a reader with demoing and upgrading his kit. In the current climate with the high street taking a hit and businesses closing, support local hi-fi shops? You visit hi-fi shops around the country to show their product ranges and demo rooms, if they have demo rooms you can do big question topics, system builder articles with readers customers?? Mitigates travel for readers, plus less risk for people not turning up, use the customers?

There have been lots of discussions on the forums re calibration of tv's I for one would love an article, maybe with a readers set up or big question topic?, whereby a thx disk, versus calibration kits versus a professional calibrator could be compared.

Although originally I was attracted to the mag due to home cinema, I now am keen on music hifi side of things, and am torn between the Avr versus dedicated stereo amp conundrum, which again is a regular topic on the forums which might lend itself to big question etc

Although whathifi are unable to get all suppliers to provide samples for all their ranges I do find the omission of high end sony and marantz avr's a personal annoyance. More so with Sony, since they provide other kit??? Might a readers poll, on line that ask readers to vote on what they would like to see. In doing so it might focus suppliers to provide the samples for review?

Just my thoughts etc

Best

Lxd

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts