Is that subwoofer really needed?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Denon DVD-1930 player hooked up to a Denon AVR-2105 amp and am looking to get some suitable speakers. I'm looking closely at Monitor Audio's Bronze range and wondered that if I were to get the BR5 floorstanding speakers for the front whether I'd still need to get a subwoofer. In the amp's setup it's possible to specify that you don't have a sub, so does that push the .1 of the 5.1 to the front speakers and if so would the BR5's be up to it?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, the BR5s go down to a claimed 35Hz, so would be OK if used with the amp in no sub mode. We'd be tempted to go for BR2s and a subwoofer, however, for even more extended (and controlled) bass.

But the answer to your question is yes, they would be up to it - after all, you can always add a sub to the BR5s later!

A

Anonymous

I've worked out that a pair of BR2's with appropriate stands and the Monitor Audio BRW-10 Subwoofer will cost around £564 whereas a pair of BR5's cost £359. Therefore I'm tempted to go with the 'acceptable' bass the BR5's offer and save myself £200 and add a sub at a later date.

I'd also like to know how important it is to have 'matched' surround speakers. My plans were to just buy the front 3 speakers from the Monitor Audio range to ensure that they're balanced and use my existing Tannoy Mercury M3 floorstanding speakers for the back 2.

Perhaps then I should get the BR5's and spend what I save on a sub on surrounds??? I just don't want to splash out if the old Tannoys will be fine for the occasional rear effects!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts