Is my system right for the type of music I listen to?

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I was wondering if my system is the best for the type of music I listen to

I listen to a mixture of Dance, R n B, Soul & classical – basically I like heavy bass but not overpowering bass also of utmost importance are clear vocals and treble

My system sounds nice but I can’t help thinking there is something better out there (due to reading this very forum)

It comprises of:

Rotel RB1080 power amp

Rotel RC1070 pre amp

Nakamichi MB4s or TEAC PD- D2750 (can switch between – using Teac due to it having a remote at present)

MS 906i (also have B&W DM603 S2 but can’t use these until the Plasma arrives)

Is my system up to the job or can you suggest a better set up

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

I like your amp combo. How's the bass extension on the MS 906i? I heard the Mezzo 6 and wasn't too impressed with the bass extension & accuracy. I'd maybe upgrade the speakers, otherwise everything looks fine.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Q Bass"]
Rotel RB1080 power amp

Rotel RC1070 pre amp

Nakamichi MB4s or TEAC PD- D2750 (can switch between - using Teac due to it having a remote at present)

MS 906i (also have B&W DM603 S2 but can't use these until the Plasma arrives)

[/quote]

Those Rotel can keep beat well. Your amps do deserve better souce though unless you need a cd multi changer!

A

Anonymous

Your hifi doesn't know what music you listen to and dance is the same as classical when viewed as a frequency reponse. If you chose your system because you liked it you can't go wrong and it should play all kinds of music well.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Change the MS 906's. I personally would not buy floorstanders for less than £800. Even at that price I prefer quality standmounts.

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi Thank you for the replies. The amp combo were purchased from a friend on the cheap so I'm keeping them but the rest of the system can be changed around. The MS906i are ok, the bass is there but not how I would like it I think that may be down to the small drivers - I will be using the B&W's when the plasma arrives as they are not magnetically shielded. Will the B&W 603 be better or should I sell them as well and get some good stand mounts/sub combo? I like the Teac as it can hold 5 discs but if there are better multi CD players out there please feel free to suggest which ones - or a CD player with a USB type option for my mp3 player/HDD. If your suggestions mean a better sound I will sell the two pairs of speakers and both CD players for better equipment. Sorry for ranting on but it's great I have my first system and the bug has well and truly bitten but funds are limited due to the plasma purchase

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Are you building an AV system or a 2-channel system for music only? I think you need to decide what it is you are trying to do.

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi

It's just for music - I want the best sound I can from my system

The AV system will consist of a 1 box JVC 3.1 system - I'm keeping the music side of things seperate

A

Anonymous

Well, I suggest you get a Rotel RCD-06 that will improve the sound no end...however, those speakers aren't what I'd call "R&B" stuff either...B&W are BY FAR the best for that. Infact, you could leave upgrading the CD player, and get yourself some B&W 685 or 684...that would be a pretty good system for what you listen to then!!!

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
Who's your local dealer? I'm sure he will let you listen to some alternative speakers that won't break the bank. Do you use the B&W's on heavy, filled stands?

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Hi

I like the sound of upgrading the speakers

The B&W 603 S2's are floorstanding I think so standmounting doesn't look like an option - the thing I like about them is they have a subwoofer in each speaker oh and they look good too

I think I'll add a Sub at a later date

Thank you for all you're help

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Q Bass"]
Hi

I like the sound of upgrading the speakers

The B&W 603 S2's are floorstanding I think so standmounting doesn't look like an option - the thing I like about them is they have a subwoofer in each speaker oh and they look good too

I think I'll add a Sub at a later date

Thank you for all you're help
[/quote]

Eh? That's news to me.

'Description: Floorstanding 2.5-Way Loudspeaker - 7" Bass, 7" Mid and 1" Tweeter'

I didn't read the model number right (too many of them) and thought they were the 602 S3's.

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
That's ok I do that all the time - I thought I was buying the MS 908i with built in subwoofers but I got the 906i which sadly doesn't

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts