Is my ancient hi-fi junk?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Apart from a pair of headphones, I've not bought any new hi-fi kit for years. I was either too busy or too skint. At least I have more time now.

My kit has only seen light use over the years but changed circumstances means it's now in use 6 or more hours most days.

I'm wondering how much longer it can last, and I need a benchmark for my old equipment when it comes to thinking about replacements. Is it worse than, on a par with, or better than current budget models?

This is what I have:

Sources: Rega Planar 3/RB300/Linn K5, Rotel RCD-965BX, PC with Chaintech AV-710 sound card (rear two channel output is via a wolfson DAC)

Amp: Rotel RA-820BX3

Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 2

Headphones: Senn 595

Rightly or wrongly, I thought I should start by replacing my amp and probably the speakers.

But just how does a Rotel RA-820BX3 compare to modern amps? Would, for example, a Rotel RA-01/RA-02/RA-04 be vastly superior?

The same sort of question applies to the Wharfedale Diamond 2 speakers. Would any of the modern small 2 way speakers make a huge difference?

The TT is hardly used as most of my LP collection is redundant as my musical tastes have evolved. If only current classical recordings were issued on vinyl, there would be no question of bothering with a CDP.

The Rotel RCD-965BX seems adequate and perhaps might be peeped up with something like a Beresford DAC. But perhaps I'd be better spending the money on a single box more recent CDP.

I listen at medium volume levels in a small room (14ft by 12ft) to classical music.

Right now my budget is limited to around £200 for an amp that has a phono stage and headphone jack, and maybe something similar for speakers, I'd be happy to try my luck in the s/hand market if the same money can buy something a little superior to brand new.

Recent disability means getting around to audition stuff is a problem. So I'd be interested to hear people's views on what to look for now and which bits of my system, if any, are worth keeping if money is tight.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Someone has to start replying here. They're busy bickering at each other in another thread at the mo
emotion-2.gif

I'd say an amplifier with a remote control might be a good idea in view of a disability. Handy in any case. NAD's 325BEE and Marantz amps have decent phono stages and sound good so that would be a good place to start. Their matching players are nice too and look nice on a rack. The Nad's are more laid back but I personally would think the Marantzes, especially the 6002 components, are ideal for classical. As for speakers, Epos'es M5 (now discontinued) was good value at full RRP and a bargain if you can find it end of line for £250.

I appreciate this lot is perhaps over your budget but the gains over your current system will be worthwile.

A

Anonymous

I would upgrade the speakers before anything else - the Diamond IIs were very good in their day, but speakers have become very good over the last 20 years. I would look at, as Drummerman said, the Epos M5 or Dali Concept 2 or perhaps the Monitor Audio BR2. That said, the Q Accoustics 1020i are also very good for a lower price!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your thoughts. I've lost touch with prices so was hoping £400-500 spent in the right places might make all the difference, perhaps that was just too little. Looks like I need to think about replacing amp & speakers & CDP eventually to make it worthwhile.

No votes for any of the newer Rotel amps so far, I have seen a few of these on Ebay fetching £150-200.

What about a s/hand arcam 7r or 8r? Are they worth considering? What would be a fair price for one of these?

Epos M5 at £250 sounds a good deal, assuming they are match for the amps/music I'm thinking about. Does anyone have any thoughts about the smaller Epos ELS-3? Are the Epos ST35 stands worth having at £99 or are cheaper models like atcama nexus 6 equally good?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="BrightSpark"]
Thanks for your thoughts. I've lost touch with prices so was hoping £400-500 spent in the right places might make all the difference, perhaps that was just too little. Looks like I need to think about replacing amp & speakers & CDP eventually to make it worthwhile.

No votes for any of the newer Rotel amps so far, I have seen a few of these on Ebay fetching £150-200.

What about a s/hand arcam 7r or 8r? Are they worth considering? What would be a fair price for one of these?

Epos M5 at £250 sounds a good deal, assuming they are match for the amps/music I'm thinking about. Does anyone have any thoughts about the smaller Epos ELS-3? Are the Epos ST35 stands worth having at £99 or are cheaper models like atcama nexus 6 equally good

[/quote]

With regards to second hand, I think, in view of the fact that you have a disability, it does not make sense to buy old hifi such as the mentioned arcams. If it goes wrong (and it will eventually) you have no come-back and have to buy again. At least with new products, if bought from a reputable dealer such as sevenoaks which have branches countrywide, they will no doubt collect and replace if something does go wrong. It may be worth to approach one of them (or any good local dealership) and ask them if they would bring a few products to your home during a quiet period for you to listen to for an hour.

You dont need to change everything at once. My suggestion was simply meant as a complete budget system.

With regards to rotel I dont think to much of them but other people do.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]It may be worth to approach one of them (or any good local dealership) and ask them if they would bring a few products to your home during a quiet period for you to listen to for an hour. [/quote]

Who knows, WhatHifi may be able to assist you in this. It be a good editorial and advertising for a caring dealer as well as interesting and helpful to you, even if you dont buy anything.

John Duncan

I like the Rotel 06 series - especially the top of the range 06 itself - but I concur that your speakers are the place to start - to my mind the original Diamonds and their siblings were too compromised to be terribly enjoyable. Lots more grown up speakers available nowadays, starting with the current Diamond 9.1 (a very diffferent speaker to your 2s), moving up through the Epos that DM mentions, Tannoy's Mercury range etc. From what I remember of my RA820BX2 though, I'd avoid Monitor Audio, which might be a bit too up front with the slightly raggedy treble of the Rotel - The 9.1s and Epos would be a good match, I'm thinking.

John Duncan

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="drummerman"]It may be worth to approach one of them (or any good local dealership) and ask them if they would bring a few products to your home during a quiet period for you to listen to for an hour. [/quote]

Who knows, WhatHifi may be able to assist you in this. It be a good editorial and advertising for a caring dealer as well as interesting and helpful to you, even if you dont buy anything.
[/quote]

Good call - a Reader's Rescue if ever there was one. Sort it, Andrew........
emotion-5.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
How about these? http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3856 http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/3624 I auditioned the Rotel RA-06 with my RS6s and was not that impressed so I doubt that the smaller ones would be to my liking. The Nads I don't know about but most people rate them and this seems a good deal. The Denon package includes my cdp. I can assure you that it's very good for the money. I don't know about the amp but apart from What HiFi, it is really well reviewed elsewhere.

A

Anonymous

I would try new speakers on the old amp if I was you. Maybe the B&W 6 series?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]Good call - a Reader's Rescue if ever there was one. Sort it, Andrew........
emotion-5.gif
[/quote]

Well, if the OP would like to email us at the usual address, I'll forward it on to the rescue people for consideration.

A

Anonymous

I would look at the cartridge first and foremost, maybe a High out put MC such as the Denon DL110 or my favorite the Dynavector DV10x5 it's more expensive but works a treat on the Rega deck. Then after look at speakers, such as the new Revolver musicseries 1. The rest I would leave alone, the old Rotel amp is good and so is the CD player, leave it till it dies.

A

Anonymous

Several votes for trying new speakers first and B&W 6 series (new or s/hand) are meant to match with recent rotel amps if I took that route.

But it's slowly sinking in that mine is not a necessarily a case of minor
surgery and I need to stump up some serious cash rather than tinkering
around

Superfi have some interesting systems offers but I really need to listen first.

I can't fault DMs logic. I live within about ten miles of my nearest
Sevenoaks dealer, but to be honest my home is in a real mess right now, so
it looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and work out if it is
at all possible to get out to audition a range of new kit. Which leaves me with the task of drawing up some kind of shortlist .... unless anyone has other ideas.

Postscript: I missed some other contributions while replying ... Thanks, that's more food for thought and I'll make contact about "readers rescue" - whatever that is.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]Is your budget still £200 for amp and the same for speakers? I ask as Sevenoaks don't normally have a vast array of budget items[/quote]

They usually stock Marantz, Denon, Rotel etc so you won't have a big problem and they frequently have good end of line discounted stuff. But there are other good dealers.

T

the record spot

Sources:
Rega Planar 3/RB300/Linn K5

The TT is hardly used
as most of my LP collection is redundant as my musical tastes have
evolved. If only current classical recordings were issued on vinyl,
there would be no question of bothering with a CDP.

[/quote]

Let's hope it's not changed so much you'd negate the possibility of the many superb recordings you can pick up secondhand. RCA Red Seals can be had for nearly no money in charity shops up and down the country to name but one. Getting out might be tricky, but Oxfam Music has a website I believe and it might be worthwhile asking a friend to check out the classical section with a list to hand of you preferred composers.

Would certainly be a pity to ditch the Rega when so many great recordings are still available.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="the record spot"]

Let's hope it's not changed so much you'd negate the possibility of the many superb recordings you can pick up secondhand. RCA Red Seals can be had for nearly no money in charity shops up and down the country to name but one. Getting out might be tricky, but Oxfam Music has a website I believe and it might be worthwhile asking a friend to check out the classical section with a list to hand of you preferred composers.

Would certainly be a pity to ditch the Rega when so many great recordings are still available.[/quote]

I agree, and I don't think I could ever bring myself to ditch my Rega Planar 3, even if it is hardly used. But the bulk of my 400 LPs (non-classical music) have just been gathering dust for ages while my classical CD collection grows. Yet I did buy a couple of s/hand vinyl recordings off EBay (Bach & Beethoven) recently and have continued to look into what vinyl may still be out there, though I'd be surprised if I'd reach over 20 classical LPs. As such it doesn't make a great deal of sense to plough money into upgrading my cartridge or the P3 motor. As least I bought a new stylus for the LINN K5 before they stopped making them, so it has life left in it. But, ultimately getting up and down to flip an LP every 20-30 mins is just getting too much.

A

Anonymous

How about a Cyrus 3 amp? They go on ebay for about £150, have remote controls and I'm pretty sure they have a phono stage built in. It's a cracking amp by all accounts and a little warmer sounding than the current Cyrus amps. I can recommend the beresford DAC. I have one with a special mod (no extra cost) on one of the outputs, you can plug both outputs into 2 different amp inputs and decide which sound you prefer, I think it's excellent on both.
As for speakers I got some Epos 12.2's from ebay for £270 including stands and cables, they are outstanding speakers as their write-up in what hi-fi will show.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="superjimbo"]How about a Cyrus 3 amp? They go on ebay for about £150, have remote controls and I'm pretty sure they have a phono stage built in. It's a cracking amp by all accounts and a little warmer sounding than the current Cyrus amps. I can recommend the beresford DAC. I have one with a special mod (no extra cost) on one of the outputs, you can plug both outputs into 2 different amp inputs and decide which sound you prefer, I think it's excellent on both.
As for speakers I got some Epos 12.2's from ebay for £270 including stands and cables, they are outstanding speakers as their write-up in what hi-fi will show.
Good luck with whatever you decide.[/quote]

Moving more to a PC based sound system does have its attractions in my situation and the Beresford DAC is very tempting, I just wish it was a USB device as well. But it's not clear if it will breath new life into my old RCD-965BX.

Cyrus 3 amps certainly have a phono stage but no headphone socket, but the DAC does. I've been looking at the likes of arcam 7/8 and audiolab 8000a on ebay. Seems it could be choice of taking a chance on something like this or a new Rotel RA-04 at £250.

Right now I'm trying to make a short list of speakers (probably MA BR2, Epos ELS3, M5, Quad 11L2 and Rega R1) while thinking what they will match with in the future. But getting to hear them is another problem altogether.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Cyrus 3 amps certainly have a phono stage but no headphone socket, but the DAC does. I've been looking at the likes of arcam 7/8 and audiolab 8000a on ebay. Seems it could be choice of taking a chance on something like this or a new Rotel RA-04 at £250.

Right now I'm trying to make a short list of speakers (probably MA BR2, Epos ELS3, M5, Quad 11L2 and Rega R1) while thinking what they will match with in the future. But getting to hear them is another problem altogether.

[/quote]

Changing old boxes for old boxes? You need the help of a dealer mate as at the mo you're just picking names out of thin air with no plan on how it all fits together. Tidy your place up and call WhatHifi or perhaps a friend can chauffeur you round for an afternoon. A good dealer will make you a nice capuccino which incidentally was introduced to the world by the italian capucine order of monks as I've found out today. Bit of useless info but you can impress the dealer with it and ask for a 10% discount
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts