is my 875 faulty - please help?

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Ok,

Finally managed to get my Onkyo 875 and Quad L-iite set up yesterday - it looks fantastic. However:

Whenever I changed volume on the 875, up or down - there was a popping/thudding sound coming through the Sub! no matter what volume it was on the amp or the sub - same sound whenever the volume increments were changed!

So - changed leads around - no effect.

Changed output from Subwoofer pre-out to Centre pre-out and now the noise has gone completely!

Should I be sending it back?

Current settings on the speakers:

Crossovers: Satelites and Centre - 90; Sub - 100.

Levels (db): Satelites - 0; Centre - 0; Sub - 0

In addition to my point - what do you think of my settings - I have no idea what they should be in relation to each other - especially the db settings ie which should be higher than what etc.

Oh, and one of my sattelites is making a quiet but noticeable humming/rattling/buzzing type noise - that definitely is getting sent back.

All help and advice would really be appreciated - I'm a complete novice in this area.

A

Anonymous

firstly, have you used the audessey speaker set up on your 875? This will (or should) inform you if any of your speakers are faulty. I am unfamiliar with your speakers and sub but the instructions for my sub suggested that half volume and halfway for the frequency with phase off. You can then "play" until a prefered setting is achieved. Hope this helps and good luck

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
HI,

Yeah - used Audyssey to set it all up. No too sure what you mean by half and half?

It didn't pick up any issues with my speakers so I think it's something to do with the Sub pre-out port.

Not using any of the new audio formats - it's with ANY input / source.

I've re run the auto set up and it's put the levels at FL: -11db; C: -11db; FR -12db; Surr: 0db; although I think it's not picking up the sub now because It's connected to the Centre Pre-out and not the sub's.

A

Anonymous

sorry if i was vague matey. Before running the set up, and with everything turned off, try setting the volume on the sub to halfway and the frequency to about 80. Connect the sub in to the sub woofer input on the 875. Switch the sub on (or to auto) and re run the set up. There's a little more info on pg 99 in the 875 instruction manual. Oh, if you have a 5.1 spkr system dont use the "rear" inputs on the 875, i made this mistake and it doesnt work! Im sorry if you have already done the above but its all i can think of at the mo. Let us know how you get on.

tommyb

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
No worries mate, any help is truly appreciated.

Ok, I ran the Audessey again as you suggested and here's what it came up with:

FR: -9.5db; C: -9.5db; FL-10db; SURR: -12db; SUB: +12db

I changed the setting on the sub to +5db straight away as it was popping during playback.

Well, it's still popping/thudding whenevre I change volume up or down, or whenever I change listening modes to be honest.

Looks like I'll have to ring Superfi tomorrow and arrange for them to collect.

Thanks for your help.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The fact that the Audyssey system has set the sub output so high suggests the level on the sub itself is set far too low.

Try running the set-up with the sub set to full volume and the crossover set to its maximum setting, and if the sub has an auto power standby facility - sorry, don't have a manual to hand - set this so the power is always on, at least for the initial set-up. And make sure the sub is connected to the appropriate output, not the input as suggested in the post above.

A

Anonymous

maybe of help or not but here goes.my set up as follows: menu 2 spkr setup. 1) spkr impedance 6 ohms, spkr type front normal. 2.2) spkr config sub yes, front full band, cntr full band, surround full band, surrback full band, surrback 2ch, lpf of lfe 80hz, double bass on. Menu 3 audio adjust, 7 lfe level 0db. I THINK thats all that really. Not much consolation i know but when its up and running it sounds stupendous. Hope you get it sorted soon.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts