Is it worth upgrading my projector and/or Home Cinema amp?

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I currently have a Screenplay 4805 projector which is fed by a Pioneer DV-575A dvd player by component lead.

My Sony BDP S370 blu-ray player feeds the TV (Sony 40V4000) and both connected to my Onkyo SR606 amp.

I have an Arcam CD72 CD player connected to the 606 which is used for music.

My questions are;

Would a change of amp to something like the Pioneer VSX-2020K give a worthwhile upgrade over the 606?

Would a change of projector to a Sanyo PLV Z800 give a worthwhile upgrade over the Screenplay? (Would be used for more upsampled DVD than blu-ray initially but I also have an HD DVD player so would connect that from time to time). (Do you think I would regret going from a DLP to and an LCD?).

I would not do both upgrades at the same time so would be good to hear which you think would be the best one too.

Cheers.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I haven't seen the screenplay but I'd say that you'd probably get an upgrade by moving to the Sanyo, based on comments of seen on projector progress, (though the Epson and for a bit extra money Panasonic options would be worth thinking about).

You wouldn't get the full 1080P benefit while only showing upscaled content, and I suppose it would be down to the areas you want to see improved in your current projector. I have an Epson 3500 LCD projector and the pictures are great. Sharp, vivid colours, realistic. It will do a decent daylight pciture, and is very quiet.

To get all the dark detail I've found you have to have the brightness set such that the screen is dark charcoal rather than black when fully dark, but if there is anything lighter on screen the bqackground looks black. but that's on a white screen in a white room.

I demod a DLP projector in a similar price bracket, and there didn't seem to be significant differences, except that there is no rainbow effect for LCD. The LCD projectors tend to run a bit quieter too. The days when LCD projectors gave poor blacks and insipid colours seem to have gone.

Amplifier not sure. What speakers are you running?

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I agree the speakers could take a better amp.

I'd consider other makes than Pioneer as well though. I run a Denon with Tannoy dual concentric speakers and find it very good. I've also had a Marantz amp before, but think the Denon is better overall.

I'd dfenitely have a listen to a few amps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts