is it worth it replacing full pioneer/b&W setup

scubasteve

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
OK, i have the following

4 yr old pioneer 43"plasma

4 yr old pioneer 969 DVD player(or whatever uk equivalent is)

4 yr old pioneer ax5i amp.

10 yr old b&w 602 s2 fronts, lr6 centre and 601 s2 rears

thinking of ditching the lot and upgrading.

how much would i have to spend to make a noticeable difference and what should i get.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I am sure you are enjoying fabulous picture quality and sound with your Pioneer-based set-up. ÿThe only step up IMHO would be into the world of Hi Def, with a blu-ray player as source. ÿI can't be certain, but I think that there were issues regarding Pioneer panels from your screen's era and HDMI signals. ÿSky HD messed up the media boxes, I believe.

Anyway, imagining the kind of result you're currently enjoying, I think you have to be careful that an 'upgrade' isn't a great disappointment. ÿTo avoid that, if funds will allow, you might consider one of latest Pioneer panels (if 50" isn't too big). ÿThere are plenty of excellent blu-ray players to choose from at different price points (Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Denon) and excellent receivers at £1000+ from Pioneer and Yamaha. ÿEven though they are the oldest part of your system, I'd keep the B&Ws unless you want to spend around £2000 as they will still sound great. ÿAs you don't mention one, it sounds like you should get a matching sub, however.

A

Anonymous

if you could have anything ?
pioneer 50 in kuro 5090
pioneer sclx81 amp
denon blu ray transport
B&W 685 Theatre

On a budget

sony tv
onkyo 606 amp
panasonic or sony blu ray

B&W 685 Theatre ( trust me i have this )
and just upgrade all cables
clearer audio mains etc

happy shopping

Wotski

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I've been budgeting Pioneer PDP LX5090, Yamaha 763 or 863, B&W 684 or 685 theathre and a half-decent bluray player plus cables and stands for our extension. With a bit of shopping around (or negotiating a package) deal, it all comes in at circa. £3,600 to £4,400.

As for differences - 4 years in Plasma terms is a long time (= big difference), same goes with DVD. Less certain about amp & speakers, but probably would notice a difference.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I agree with all the above, but I would expect your existing speakers to sound very similar already to the 685 theatre package. ÿGo for a sub, though. ÿThere are always great deals on B&W speakers on ebay if you want a cheaper upgrade path.

A

Anonymous

i upgraded from your speakers to mine now and the difference is amazing

scubasteve

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
thanks guys. it is a tricky one. i have a cdxt 8 power cyrus hifi setup going through my b&w 805s in the living room with an apple tv and sony 32 lcd for everyday stuff.

trouble is kids. i may have to give up the cinema room for kids room soon so need to consolidate all into one room and a mother of a system.

any bright ideas then?

A

Anonymous

hello, id keep your reciever i made the mistake of selling my pioneer d2011 which was 900 quid 5 years ago for the denon 2809 , and for me the pioneer is a lot beter i wish i still had it .

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
how old are your kids - the 685 (etc.) range has a very "ooh I must push that button" look about the tweeters. I've had problems with adults trying to push it, n'mind visiting kiddies.

TRENDING THREADS