Is it worth buying a 2nd hand Linn Genki cdp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My friend is building up his htpc as the music source, so he's trying get his Linn Genki out of the way. I heard his Linn at his place powered by an AV receiver(he was waiting for his Unico hybrid amp) with a pair of dynaudio speakers. When he was comparing his htpc(music from PC) with Linn, I straight away prefered the Linn Genki, it was much more musical and superb with acoustic music.

I've been thinking about upgrading my CDP for awhile now, as the rest of my system have been upgraded, I've got Plinius 8200Mk2 intergrated, a pair of floorstander Elac with JET(tiny metal tweeter for high frequency), only thing that's a bit low-fi is my cdp, it's a cheap vincent s2. Don't get me wrong, after fully broken in, i got a very clean and detailed sound. I'm a musician, details and musicality must go hand in hand when it comes to music reproduction. Vincent's got 24bits/96hkz DAC which isn't bad at all, but in terms of soundstage and dimensionality I am pretty sure there are many cdp out there can beat Vincent.

Should I go ahead and buy my friend's Linn Genki (around 500 pounds) or spend a little more for newer technology like Naim cd5i or Cyrus cd8? I know compare Linn with Naim is like apple vs orange, though I would take upgradability as the main reason for my new purchase, Does anyone have experience using Linn with an outboard DAC?

Thanks in advance

andy

A

Anonymous

karmatogdral:

My friend is building up his htpc as the music source, so he's trying get his Linn Genki out of the way. I heard his Linn at his place powered by an AV receiver(he was waiting for his Unico hybrid amp) with a pair of dynaudio speakers. When he was comparing his htpc(music from PC) with Linn, I straight away prefered the Linn Genki, it was much more musical and superb with acoustic music.

I've been thinking about upgrading my CDP for awhile now, as the rest of my system have been upgraded, I've got Plinius 8200Mk2 intergrated, a pair of floorstander Elac with JET(tiny metal tweeter for high frequency), only thing that's a bit low-fi is my cdp, it's a cheap vincent s2. Don't get me wrong, after fully broken in, i got a very clean and detailed sound. I'm a musician, details and musicality must go hand in hand when it comes to music reproduction. Vincent's got 24bits/96hkz DAC which isn't bad at all, but in terms of soundstage and dimensionality I am pretty sure there are many cdp out there can beat Vincent.

Should I go ahead and buy my friend's Linn Genki (around 500 pounds) or spend a little more for newer technology like Naim cd5i or Cyrus cd8? I know compare Linn with Naim is like apple vs orange, though I would take upgradability as the main reason for my new purchase, Does anyone have experience using Linn with an outboard DAC?

Thanks in advance

andy

Well if he's your mate you can borrow the Genki to hear what it's like in your system first and compare to the Vincent at least.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts