Is it worth angling the centre speaker down?

Retne

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi all.

So, having purchased the TV, Amp and soon-to-be-swapped Blu Ray, I remember I need to order the mounts for the TV and centre speaker.

On that front, is it worth pointing the centre speaker down a little - it's going to be above the TV?

The TV is going to be a little higher than is probably ideal to stop my 9 month-old using it to practice her standing... :)

Cheers all,

Rob/Retne

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
Generally, I'd say no, because most centres will disperse quite widely, and presumably you are a few feet away. But if you are wary, can you mount yours on something that pivots? It depends what speakers you have...

I would respectfully disagree, angled down slightly toward your listening height can do no harm, and does take away any doubt re line of listening

I have my L&R speakers toed in slightly, and my Centre (which is under the TV on a glass shelf) angled up slightly. It's even recommended to angle down slightly rear speakers that are not bi/di pole to gain the best listening field

If you can listen to both solutions, if you can't then angle down slightly

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Retne said:
Hi all.

So, having purchased the TV, Amp and soon-to-be-swapped Blu Ray, I remember I need to order the mounts for the TV and centre speaker.

On that front, is it worth pointing the centre speaker down a little - it's going to be above the TV?

The TV is going to be a little higher than is probably ideal to stop my 9 month-old using it to practice her standing... :)

Cheers all,

Rob/Retne

I had the same problem where the centre speaker was much higher than the normal listening position. Angling it down made a big difference and dialogue sounds much clearer and I can now hear the details that I had previously missed. All in all a great improvement for me.

Retne

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies.

I think it would make sense to have the option to angle down, so I can listen to the difference. Can I ask what stands you have, those that are pointing a little down? I like the idea of a glass shelf, but thing I may need something with the stops and a way to angle the speaker.

It's a fairly old Eltax speaker, I can't remember the model at the moment, it wasn't a lot of money when I bought it 10 years ago. At some stage I would be interested to audition some replacements, but having just bought a Onkyo NR609, Samsung 40" D7000 and a (possibly to-be-replaced) Panasonic BDP 310 that's going to have to wait a while.

Not quite sure how this will look - having such a thin TV means attention will be drawn to the bulky speaker pointing out from the wall.

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
The centre speaker should definately be angled towards you. Positioned as close to the screen as is reasonably possible, above or below, and angled directly on axis so the main tweeter is pointing at the main seating position directly at ear height.

The centre channel carries around 70-80% of the main audio information in a movie soundtrack, and is the one speaker you want radiating directly to you, not diffusing in any way by being oiff axis. Its about the only spec that Dolby, DTS and THX all agree agree on.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts