Is it time to change a 32 years old system.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I feel that it is time to critical evaluate my Accuphase E202 and B&W DM6 speakers bought back in 1976.
My turntable and CD player bought approximately 14 years ago are Rega Planar 3 with Denon DL 160 high output MC pickup and Denon DCD 2560.
My listening habit is 30% opera, 30% piano- and violin concerts and 40% rockmusic.
The listening room is approximately 6 by 6 meters.
I prefer floor-standers.
My budget for stereo amp and stereo speakers is 3.000 UK pounds.
In case I need to cange turntable and Cd player also my budget is 4.000 UK pounds.

I want to use the stereo set as front in the coming surround set connecting surround pre-output to stereo amp line-input as previously suggested in this forum.
I presume the surround amp should be Onkyo TX-SR875 or similar with center, rear speakers and sub to match the tonal quality of the front right and left.
The budget for this partsystem is 2.500 UK pounds.
My DVD ‘s are opera, ballet and epic films which to day are played on a Sony RDR HX910 HD recorder.
I need to do the audition in the London area close to an airport as I have no chance to do an audition in the south of Spain where I live.

I ask the members of this forum for help choosing the parts.

John Duncan

Hoo cha, that's a lot of budget. Let's call it 10k........

Thinking Heathrow-friendly, Infidelity in Hampton Wick are a great dealer, if (to me) a little limited in their range, whereas if you could travel a little further (another five miles or so), Unilet in New Malden are a bit broader and are whom I would go to - both are within an hour of Heathrow by cab. With that kind of money, I would look at:

Primare cd31/i30 combo - 3k

PMC surround package (GB1i/DB1i/DB1 Centre) - 2.5k

Michell Gyro SE/RB300 or Tecnoarm with an appropriate cartridge (think Ortofon Kontrapunkt) 2k

Dino phono stage - 250

You may find it better value for you to go the full primare AV route though, with the SP31 and a30.5 processor/amp combo, or just the AV30(?), though whether either have all the switching and upscaling capabilities of the Onkyo I don't know.

If not, that leaves you a couple of grand for cables, receiver, to pay for your flights and get a sandwich in London
emotion-1.gif

I'm sure also that Unilet would a) do you an excellent deal on the whole thing and b) ship it for you. They will also make other suggestions, since they have a broad range of kit. And if you can wait till their Blue Murder sale (usually in April).........

A

Anonymous

Thank you John.

Is it so important to have all the speaker from the same producer?

Some parts can be second hand in order to save?

regards

John Duncan

Re: the speakers, yes to my mind, especially across the front three - the back two less so, but with your ample budget it would be a false economy to my mind.

As for second hand - yes, absolutely, though I would still recommend the same manufacturers - for example you could pick up a Primare 5.1 set up on eBay (from respected sellers) for £1,600 (provided 5.1 is sufficient). Caveat emptor though, and you would need to be sure about what you wanted beforehand.

Not sure I would recommend a Gyrodec second hand though, they're sensitive things.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
KVP, I'm envious of you mate!! If you can get to the Epsom branch of Sevenoaks from Gatwick, I would give it a try. I have the Monitor Audio RS6s and centre speaker and the smaller R90 rear speakers. The gold range (platinum is even out of your range!) must be worth an audition and they will do a deal with you. They have some great equipment and as I've mentioned, the guys are open to some barthering, especially when you are spending that sort of cash. They have a few rooms too to listen/watch.

A

Anonymous

Hi Forum members

Have been away for a while but now I have some questions and I hope for some answers.

Can anyone tell me how the sonic character differs between PMC GB1i / DB 1i compared to ProAc studio 140 / 130 / 110 and to Nait Motive 2 / 3.

Which type of speaker is best suited bearing in mind that I listen to say 30% piano and violin concerts, 30% opera and 40% rock?

My listening room is 7 by 6 meters.

regards

kvp

A

Anonymous

[quote user="kvp"]My listening room is 7 by 6 meters.[/quote]

You're playing in a BIG field
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your reply ranjeetrain.

Thats is why I am a little concerned if the surrround speakers based on PMC GB1i / DB1i is sufficient.

regards

kvp

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts