Is it time for a new CD player?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
System:- Marantz CD 17 CD player, Pioneer DV-565A DVD Player, Denon TU-1800 DAB Tuner, Yamaha DSP-AX757SE AV Amp, Castle Harlech Floorstanders.

Problem:- For some months (years?) I've been dissapointed with the quality of play back of my CD collection. It sounds lumpy and 'boomy' with a huge lack of any detail in the vocals and instruments. This was true if I played the CD's in the Marantz or the Pioneer DVD.

I've always suspected the speakers were to big for my living room and was considering the reccommended standmounts.

But then I realised that the playback from the tuner was far better? with a lot of the missing 'detail' restored.

Is it time to change the CD Player and DVD player? (or though I don't play many DVD's) or should I still look at some new speakers?

Alan

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
The Yamaha you are using is superb for music playback but only when you compare the sound to other AV amp at £500 price range.

The CD player is a good one even considering the age and the Harlech are not bad pair of speakers at all, but like most of Castle speakers, bass can sound a little thick when push and even with strange drivers arrangment that designed with space saving in mind, they sound best if position clear from all walls.

I would buy a dedicated 2 channels amp like Rotel or matching Marantz which will let you hear what the classic CD player like the 17 can do.

A

Anonymous

Sincere thank you for your quick responses - First of all I am certainly no expert with Hi Fi and do appreciate your replies.

Sorry if I misled you - my system does include some further Castle surround speakers so I do need to use the surround AV Amp.

However, you both point the finger at the Speakers which (and I have no choice with this) do have to be adjacent to a rear wall.

So, I would welcome any suggestions on speakers which are not fussy about placement ?

Thanks Again, Alan.

John Duncan

The biggest problem is your speakers I'd say - not because they're bad but because they sound as if they're too big for the room - even you seem as if you can't convince yourself otherwise. The Yamaha amp will not be the last word in stereo finesse but it shouldn't be that bad (my old 620 was rather good). I'd suggest trying some small, top quality standmounts at a local dealer (or better still, at home), and see what you think. Try some stereo amps at the same time and see where you get the best value.

As for the DAB radio giving loads of detail - probably means it's outrageously bright compared to your CD17, which should be a great source.

A

Anonymous

I'm with Thaiman and JD, the CD17 is a great source. Your description doesn't sound like the problem lies with the cd player, as mine sounds totally different. I think the problem lies with your speakers and/or your amplifier not being th‚ best for stereo reproduction, even though it's very musical for an AV-amp. I do not know if your amplifier has pre-outs (I think it does, but am not sure) but I'd buy a dedicated stereo amp and would try some different speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts