Is it possible to copy music from itunes to an additional Ipod?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My father in-law has a stupid amount of music on his computer that he has used to fill a 160gb ipod. I've just purchased and 80gb ipod and would like to copy much of his music to it. Is this possible? If so, how?

A

Anonymous

theoretically then if someone were to commit this illegal act how woulld htey go about it?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Something like ipod disk (google it) to your computer then usual to the other ipod?

and theres nothing inherently illegal. You might have 2 iPods, or a computer with a knackered hard drive, or in fact have copyright over the files.

John Duncan

You can register a number of iPods (it might be five) with any given computer. Therefore you could just attach your iPod to his computer and download music onto it.

However, an iPod can only be 'registered' to one computer, which means that when you attach it to yours, the music on it will be erased (it does ask you first) and you can then download music from your computer.

As stated above, there are applications which allow you to circumvent this, like SharePod.

If you're worried about illegal acts, throw your iPod and your computer away............

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]

If you're worried about illegal acts, throw your iPod and your computer away............[/quote]
not forgetting to remove and destroy the HDDs first

John Duncan

[quote user="fr0g"]and theres nothing inherently illegal[/quote]

It started being illegal when you copied music onto your PC (unless, as you say, you own the copyright). 'Backup purposes' is not covered for music, only software. Neither is 'fair use', in the UK - you're just not allowed to copy other people's music, full stop.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]You can register a number of iPods (it might be five) with any given computer. Therefore you could just attach your iPod to his computer and download music onto it.

However, an iPod can only be 'registered' to one computer, which means that when you attach it to yours, the music on it will be erased (it does ask you first) and you can then download music from your computer.
As stated above, there are applications which allow you to circumvent this, like SharePod.
If you're worried about illegal acts, throw your iPod and your computer away............[/quote]

So would I be able to download the music from said computer then attach it to mine and copy the music onto mine using sharepod?

And would that mean that I could organise that music alongside my own in sharepod to arrange it all onto my ipod?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="fr0g"]and theres nothing inherently illegal[/quote]

It started being illegal when you copied music onto your PC (unless, as you say, you own the copyright). 'Backup purposes' is not covered for music, only software. Neither is 'fair use', in the UK - you're just not allowed to copy other people's music, full stop.[/quote]

Would a way of circumventing this law break be an agreement between the two parties that the music is owned jointly between them?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="JohnDuncan"]If you're worried about illegal acts, throw your iPod and your computer away............[/quote]

I know what you mean John, but copying music from another person's collection is "morally" illegal in my mind since you never paid for any music in the first place.

Unless of course your father in law owns the copyright for all the stupid amount of music on his computer, in which case I withdraw my moral objections
emotion-2.gif

John Duncan

[quote user="professorhat"]I know what you mean John, but copying music from another person's collection is
"morally" illegal in my mind since you never paid for any music in the first
place.[/quote]Agreed, but I'm not getting into that. What other people do is their own business. Unless it's my music, in which case I will hunt you down like a dog
emotion-5.gif

John Duncan

[quote user="Hammers80"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]You can register a number of iPods (it might be five) with any given computer. Therefore you could just attach your iPod to his computer and download music onto it.

So would I be able to download the music from said computer then attach it to mine and copy the music onto mine using sharepod?

And would that mean that I could organise that music alongside my own in sharepod to arrange it all onto my ipod?
[/quote]

If you were so (illegally) inclined, yes.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"][quote user="Hammers80"][quote user="JohnDuncan"]You can register a number of iPods (it might be five) with any given computer. Therefore you could just attach your iPod to his computer and download music onto it.

[/quote]

If you were so (illegally) inclined, yes.[/quote]

The music is from the 50s and 60s and I think that there is no copyright on it anymore, although i'm probably wrong. Not that I care as it's all been paid for and he has offered the cds to me but I can't physically bring them all back from France with me

John Duncan

[quote user="Hammers80"]I think that there is no copyright on it anymore, although i'm probably wrong[/quote]

You are, but again I'm not moralising, it's between you and your conscience as far as I'm concerned. And having the CDs doesn't help you (in the UK). Ironically, it does in France, as they have a fair use clause (if I recall)
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts