Is it ok to use any cd player with an external DAC?

eltee00

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm a CAS'er currently running it with an Audio GD DAC and want to add a CD player to my system via coaxial. Is it ok to use any regular cd player as transport? Or the transport really doesn't have much effect on the final sound quality.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
You will get satisfactory results yes, but transports do make a difference in terms of error correction and mis reading errors!

But these results are neglibile - however depends on the quality of the DAC imho.

A DAC does not automaticaaly improve sound quality - amps, speakers will do that.

The best transport for a DAC in my opinion is a NAS or streamer

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've used my BD player as a source throught my Rega DAC by COAX cable with good results. If I was going to buy a dedicaded CD player I would not need to connected through a external DAC ( at the same budget).

The external DAC has other abilities, like Steve have Highlight, the possibility to connect sources through is inputs ( Optical, COAX, USB)

i've my NAS connected to my Rega DAC through USB input and with greater results that BDP.

I've rip all my CD using db Poweramp program with no compretion, all i can say is that i've never heard my CD like this, i've never had a quality CD player as well...

But when i compare BDP coax, NAS USB into Rega DAC the second sounds like a High end source.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Bear in mind that the first CD player came out more than 30 years ago and we've had CD players in cars and portable players for many years able to play discs just fine with all sorts of vibrations going on.

If you give your DVD or CD player a nudge it either skips or just carries on as normal - you don't get muddy bass or a blurred image.

Some transports are better than others. I have a Pioneer stable platter - it brings up the total tracks and disc time almost instantly when the disc goes in and does a much better job on scratched discs than anything else I've tried. I don't believe there's any audible difference though and have never seen any evidence as to how or why one transport should sound better than another.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
MacBook Pro > optical > Rega DAC

NAS > usb > Rega DAC

both outperform my Apollo R CDP > Rega DAC & SBT > Rega DAC in terms of detail

However the the CDP/SBT perform very well and I would be happy with both.

Buy the best transport you can afford.

Also if you intend buying a Blu Ray player as a transport just be aware that most of the money has been spent on the Blu ray part of the transport (laser, pick up etc) there is a seperate laser (i believe) for CD/DVD and that is likely to be mediocre one at best.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
MakkaPakka said:
To the people who are going NAS > DAC.

What do you use to control what's playing?

An iOS or Android app for phone/tablet.

Synology NAS probably being the most popular in the HiFi wolrd due to ease of set up, use and apps available for it - although QNAP have a good following too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts