Is it a proper combo?

Borsook

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello Everybody.

I went to shop to buy my very first proper audio set. I said to seller that i can spend about 1200 pounds. I dont need cd player now and im gonna buy turntable but later. This is the set he combined for me:

-Arcam FMJ A19 Black Amplifier- about 615 pounds

-Monitor Audio BX6- 549 pounds

I was quite surprised that amplifier is more expensive than speakers since all my private "advisors" told me that amplifier is not that important. Is seller right? Do i need this amplifier for nice sound etc? I like nice electronic music but sometimes im coming back to punk rock or ne wave. Are these speakers good for it? Please give me advice guys.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Spending that kind of money, I hope your going to visit a dealer that will spend time with you auditioning different combinations?

Then you can decide for yourself.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
That is a nice combo within many,maybe you could like a NAD 356bee and BX6 more with your kind of music.The Arcam is more refined the NAD has more attack.Do demo as much as possible.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

Hi Borsook and welcome.

What your dealer has recomended is pretty much a 'stock' answer for your budget, highly recognisable brand names, well reviewed and, generally, well liked by the public.

I have never tried that combination, but presumeably the dealer has, so I would expect it to work pretty well, without ever being exceptional or particularly suited for your style of music.

It would help if we knew a little about the room, and where the speakers are likely to be placed, the RX6s are big, and need some space. Also it would help if we knew your source, will you be using a computer and need a dac?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
My brother has the BX6 plus Advance Acoustic system plus P/Debut Carbon. He likes it.

It reads like entirely reasonable advise. The speakers decent sensitivity to input will make the most of the amplifiers 50 or so watts and it has a nice set of facilities.

The system should keep it's value well as all the brands are well known/regarded.

There are umpteen other combinations which could be suggested but for the type of music you listen to the suggested dealer system seems sensible with the caveat that the speakers work in your room, as always.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts