Is Hi-Fi really better than pro audio?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
A bit of a side line from the active monitor thread currently recieving varied opinions how do our hi-fi amps compare to pro audio amps in particular power amps??? Are we just paying for fancy face plates and the snob value of something built by a high end manufacturer?

This all stems from a conversation with a sound tech at a theatre who overheard a friend and myself talking about hi-fi and in particular power amps. The sound tech suggested that pro audio power amps would easily compete with hi-fi power amps at a higher price and that we just pay extra for fancy cases and branding. How true do you think this is? A quick look on the net certainly shows that big power pro audio amps with very good specs can be had for alot less money than most hi-fi gear with similar power ratings etc...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
As with the other thread, it's the definition of "better" that is the problem......it means different things to different people.

A

Anonymous

That is true. To word it another way how does the sq of pro audio compare to hi-fi. I was under the impression that pro audio was all about power at the expense of sq. The sound tech said that this is not true at all as most people in pro audio are very fussy when it comes to the sq of theis gear and they are not just concerned about massive power ratings. What I would like to know is power aside how would say a £600-£1000 pro audio power amp compare sq wise to a £2000-£3000 Hi-fi power amp.

idc

I read a very interesting hif magazine article about the two. The author had a mate who had some pro amp and he had an 'audiophile' one from the same company. When they opened them up they found they were the same, give or take an input or 5. The pro amp was much more expensive and when they asked a company insider why, the answer was the higher instance of warranty claims with the pro amp. Pro amps have a harder life.

In other instances pro audio is much better value than audiophile, such as cables.

Then you get audiophile companies with one eye on the pro market, so you get amps and DACs with facias that can be slotted into racks.

Even with my limited experience of the pro audio side, all of my future hif purchases will include pro audio alternatives to audiophile.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Speaking from my own perspective, my preference is for Class A and Tubes, so it's a bit of a non-starter.

Hopefully you will get a knowledgeable view from someone familiar with both.

Cno

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies guys. Just thought I would ask the question as the sound tech was pretty adament that pro audio represents much better value for money than audiophile equipment. I just don't like to think that I would possibly buy something only to find out that a similar product could be had for half the price!

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
google 'hi fi blind test' and look at the first link. makes interesting reading. it's amazing how some of the differences you hear, can't be heard when you can't see what you are listening to.

A

Anonymous

Craig M. said:
google 'hi fi blind test' and look at the first link. makes interesting reading. it's amazing how some of the differences you hear, can't be heard when you can't see what you are listening to.
interesting reading there craig, they couldn't identify the expensive setup with all it's premium connections and perched on it's state of the art rack :)

A

Anonymous

Craig M. said:

Thanks for that, a very interesting read. I think I will have a look through a few more of those links!

idc

Google testing audiophile claims and you will find a whole list of blind and ABX tests. (Eh Max
smiley-wink.gif
)

A

Anonymous

idc said:
Google testing audiophile claims and you will find a whole list of blind and ABX tests. (Eh Max
smiley-wink.gif
)
:) i'm saying nothing, i'm meant to be on my best behaviour here :p

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
james_LR90 said:
A bit of a side line from the active monitor thread currently recieving varied opinions how do our hi-fi amps compare to pro audio amps in particular power amps??? Are we just paying for fancy face plates and the snob value of something built by a high end manufacturer?

This all stems from a conversation with a sound tech at a theatre who overheard a friend and myself talking about hi-fi and in particular power amps. The sound tech suggested that pro audio power amps would easily compete with hi-fi power amps at a higher price and that we just pay extra for fancy cases and branding. How true do you think this is? A quick look on the net certainly shows that big power pro audio amps with very good specs can be had for alot less money than most hi-fi gear with similar power ratings etc...

This blind test review may be of interest. EDIT. Ooops, Craigs directions led to the link i was refering too

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard said:
maxflinn said:
i'm saying nothing, i'm meant to be on my best behaviour here :p

And we can tell the difference how, exactly?
when my curiosity of the many AV myths isn't being aired here of course ;)

A

Anonymous

MattSPL said:
james_LR90 said:

This blind test review may be of interest. EDIT. Ooops, Craigs directions led to the link i was refering too

Haha, Thanks anyway!

dannycanham

May 5, 2009
Visit site
If only there was a thing called competition where anyone with audio electronics knowledge could go out design and build amplifiers and then if the production and materials costs turned out to be significantly cheaper than the competition, sell the amplifiers at a good price and make a healthy profit.

You have the audiolabs people living in China? to keep the production costs as low as possible so that they can compete in the current market and yet the "pro" guys can all do it signifiantly cheaper just because they are selling pro gear...hmmm nah.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
did you look at the matrix hifi link?

don't forget that pro audio stuff rarely has expensive casework, lower markup, and sells in far greater numbers so doesn't need the same profit margin. not saying it's all gonna be great, but there are plenty of reasons why it can be cheaper.

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I use 2 behringer a500 amps bridged in mono in my setup. In 25 years of being into hi-fi i've not heard anything better. These cost £320 for the 2. There quiet,powerful,transparent and cheap. OK,they don't look any great shakes,but who cares what hi-fi looks like anyway!

A

Anonymous

That A500 looks good and has some very good reviews. I am currently interested in the MXF900 as I love the look of it and the specs look really good... just no idea if it would sound any good!!!

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
james_LR90, buy 2 of those a500's bridge them to mono and have 360 watt monoblocks! They will drive any speaker (and i do mean ANY speaker) with absolute ease. You will not be disapointed. When i first bought these babies i coudn't keep the grin of my face for weeks. Why anyone would spend any more on amplification is beyond me!

A

Anonymous

chunky70 said:
james_LR90, buy 2 of those a500's bridge them to mono and have 360 watt monoblocks! They will drive any speaker (and i do mean ANY speaker) with absolute ease. You will not be disapointed. When i first bought these babies i coudn't keep the grin of my face for weeks. Why anyone would spend any more on amplification is beyond me!

Hi Chunky70 do you know what the power output would be into a 4ohm load if used as monoblocks? also any idea on their current stability?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
james_LR90 said:
Hi Chunky70 do you know what the power output would be into a 4ohm load if used as monoblocks?

Behringer says that the impedance of the speaker into which the amp is used in bridged mono mode should be 'at least 8ohms'

chunky70

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Just had a look at the manual and from what i can gather it's 500 watts!

As far as the current stability goes i can only quote the manual

-rock steady stability into 4 ohm loads and into highly inductive/capacitive loads(required for some rare difficult loads that many recievers may have problems driving)

Edit-yes Andrew you are correct (had a look again at the manual) 8 ohm loads only in mono,so my claim of driving any speaker is complete nonsense. Drives mine wonderfully though!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts