Is a UnitiQute (or UnitiLite) a worthy replacement?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a Naim UnitQute (or Lite) and possibly a paid of Q Accoustics 2050i's.

This would be replacing my Linn Isobariks (originals not the new Majik Iso's), 2x Linn LK280 amps and Beresfrod Caiman DAC/pre.

I still listen to CD's a fair bit, and at the moment I use a Sony BDP S360 for this which is then fed into the Caiman (and I occasionally use an airport express), but hopefully an improved streaming system would open up new experiences.

What could I expect the Naim and 2050i's to sound like in comparison to my current set-up?

Would it be a big step down or not considering the modern tech?

Would the Naim drive the 2050i's ok, or would I need another power amp?

Should I keep the Sony and feed into the 'Qute or would the 'Lite be the better option?

Thanks! :)

Paul@HiFi-Lounge

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I have to agree with steve really, I can only comment from experience but both the UnitiQute and Lite work brilliantly with the PMC or Rega Range of speakers so it may be worth considering them also.

jjbomber

Well going from traditional Linn to Naim is roughly what Robert Plant did when he went from accountancy to Led Zeppelin.

Given that your main listening is CDs through a BluRay player then I would go for the UnitiLite every time. It's out in about 3 weeks according to my local dealer. That will feed the 2050's OK. Also it will give you a better streaming capability. Ticks every box really.

No doubt the AVI boys will be along. They have their cult meeting on a Thursday morning, then they pop up here :rofl:

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I haven’t got much experience of the equipment you talk about but I do know your DAC well. I’ve had a quick google of your Linn amps and also note you refer to you Beresford DAC as / pre-amp, can I assume you use the DAC in variable mode as a pre? I don’t really know how the speakers and amp you have compare to the ones you’re considering but what I do know is using the DAC instead of a decent pre is really holding things back.

Swapping to a good Naim unit will improve things no end I’m sure (in part because it will have a good pre section) but I’d see what your existing amps sound like with a good pre and use you DAC just as a DAC, you may be pleasantly surprised by the results.

I used the Caiman as a pre-amp for a short while before I could afford to buy a more permanent solution and the sound was very flat and lifeless, adding a Croft pre-amp had a major positive impact on the sound.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, the DAC is also used as a pre (it replaced my old LK1 preamp) - not the best solution I know, but connections on the LK1 are limited and XLR.

I'd like to reduce the number of boxes really (as would the wife no doubt!)

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Monstermoo

If you still listening to CDs than Unitilite would be my choice. Although I don’t think that CD section will be it’s strongest part. However I am sure you will be impressed with Naim’s streaming and amplification. Lite should sound as good as Qute and depending on your room size and volume requirements , choose 50 or 30 watts amplification.

I find Qute an amazing little beast and in my ordinary size London sitting room (4X3m) it’s 30watts sounds very load. I never pass volume’s 40 mark. Loudness setting makes it sound as revealing and detail at low volume as mid levels. When I auditioned Qute with unity 2 and SU it became clear that SU would be my choice in big room with big speakers , Qute sounded just right in my room.

Regards speakers I think Qute or would it be Lite deserve a quality speakers in around £1500 prise range. Although I am very happy with my old B&W 685’s I am also very keen to audition Spendors, PMC and Proac with it. Good luck and enjoy your search .

A

Anonymous

Thanks Dariushifi.

Sadly budget will limit any replacement speakers I decide to purchase, but then people keep telling me that it will be a real struggle to find a suitable replacement for my Linn Isobarik's for sensible money (£thousands), so I may keep these to begin with.

I may still audition the 2050i's because the reviews seem really positive and even suggest their performance is better than many higher priced speakers.

I was wondering if the Qute would do a good job with CD's played from my Sony BDP S360, in which case I could save some money and possibly put it towards any new speakers???

dariushifi

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Monstermoo said:
I was wondering if the Qute would do a good job with CD's played from my Sony BDP S360, in which case I could save some money and possibly put it towards any new speakers???

I don't see the reason why it wouldn't. Use one of two Sony's digital outputs and let the Qute take over from there. I think, there is astrong possibility that with the time you will move towards streaming anyway and find playing CD's less and less.

A

Anonymous

Is the 24/192 version of the Qute worth the extra £400 over the 24/96khz version? Is it something that is going to provide a clearly audible improvement on a lossless FLAC (or apple) file that has been ripped from a typical music CD for instance?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Monstermoo said:
Is the 24/192 version of the Qute worth the extra £400 over the 24/96khz version? Is it something that is going to provide a clearly audible improvement on a lossless FLAC (or apple) file that has been ripped from a typical music CD for instance?

No: it will only really show the benefit when listening to 24/192 files.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Monstermoo said:

The rip of a CD in FLAC or Apple Lossless will be 16/48 as that is the resolution of CD's. You have to download files in the higher resultion formats (or rip SACD's/DVDA/BluRay)

In my experience, there is very little difference between music at 24/96 and 24/192, so if you dont have any of either I would go for the cheaper Qute. If you already have lots of 24/192 (kind of an oxymoron as there is so little music available at this resolution!) then obviously you will want the capability.

Personally I find that to really benefit from HiRes you need a fairly revealing system, with high quality speakers, so the Qute really isnt likely to be used in that kind of system. I would go for the cheaper option.

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
gregvet said:
Monstermoo said:

The rip of a CD in FLAC or Apple Lossless will be 16/48 as that is the resolution of CD's. You have to download files in the higher resultion formats (or rip SACD's/DVDA/BluRay)

In my experience, there is very little difference between music at 24/96 and 24/192, so if you dont have any of either I would go for the cheaper Qute. If you already have lots of 24/192 (kind of an oxymoron as there is so little music available at this resolution!) then obviously you will want the capability.

Personally I find that to really benefit from HiRes you need a fairly revealing system, with high quality speakers, so the Qute really isnt likely to be used in that kind of system. I would go for the cheaper option.

cd is 44.1khz 16bit. I agree with everything else you said tho :grin:

A

Anonymous

Very interesting point to consider, thanks.

In this case most people looking to benefit from the 192 capabilities would be faced with replacing their music collections where possible, as I would imagine that 99% of people have a music collection that is made up of 'shop bought' CD's that have been collected over the past 20 years or so.

In terms of capabilities, I'd say that my speakers (and possibly amps) are well up to the job of revealing the differences between the various resolutions (if there is any to be heard), but I have my doubts about the CD player/Blu-ray.

Still, I'm not looking for anything that is analytical, just something that is more open, upbeat with great rythm and timing.

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Your existing amps/speakers may well be worthy of hires material, but I'm not sure the amps in the qute, or the speakers that it would be expected to be paired with, would be worth it.

Im not dissing the unit (I haven't even heard it), but it is Naim's budget offering, with lots crammed into a cheap (for naim!) all in one. As good as it may be, it's not what I would choose to ABX 24/96 and 24/192 files on.

As I said, unless you already have lots of hi res files, or intend to buy lots of them for another, potentially more revealing, system, I would save your money. Or to for the superuniti I guess would be the other option

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice Gregvet. I currently have NO hi-res files so the 96 version would probably be good for my needs.

I also considered the Squeezebox and Linn Sneaky & Majik DS, but the digital inputs of the 'Qute are really appealing.

Presumably, even given my lack of hi-res files, the 'Qute would still provide an improved listening experience in comparison to what I am currently using to play music?

Is it still likely to produce an upbeat sound, despite the laid back nature of my LK280 amps?

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Monstermoo said:
Is it still likely to produce an upbeat sound, despite the laid back nature of my LK280 amps?

Im not sure if i have understood your intesntions correctly. Are you planning on using the amplification in the Qute, or is it going to be source (+/- pre amp) only?

If source only, I would go for Majik DS every time.

If source/pre amp only, Makij DS (probably).

If using the inbuilt amp, I would go Sneaky DS.

I have to qualify the above, with the fact that I dont get on with Naim stuff, budget or high end just sounds wrong to me (and i have demo'd it quite a few times). Horses for course tho, my local Naim dealer loves it (always says how much better the Naim is than Cyrus and Linn, which they also sell, yet i prefer Cyrus and Linn every time we do back to back demos). A number of people on here will tell you the eact opposite tho, as we all prefer different things.

My advice is to try and demo the kit in question with your speakers if possible, but either way make sure you compare how it wounds with equivalent kit from other makes, to be sure you are getting the right kit for you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts